Help with computer.

Gold Vanguard

Sounds like your mobo's failing to read your hard drive.

How adept at you at monkeying with the guts of computers? This could be as easily fixed as swapping what SATA port your boot drive uses.

Is the drive still listed in the BIOS? Do you have a CD/DVD drive (or any auxiliary, really) and is it listed in the BIOS?

EDIT: Additionally, how old is the hard drive?

Edited by Integrity

Is it possible that your computer has been bumped or jostled much lately? I've run into this kind of problem with my desktop before a couple times after taking it on long car trips. I was able to get it purring again by opening it up and making sure all the cables were firmly connected. I very much doubt you would have this problem with a laptop though.

How adept at you at monkeying with the guts of computers? This could be as easily fixed as swapping what SATA port your boot drive uses.

Is the drive still listed in the BIOS? Do you have a CD/DVD drive (or any auxiliary, really) and is it listed in the BIOS?

Great post.

Also, laptop or desktop? (This is just for guessing at how irritating it'll be to mess with the insides of it.)

Speaking as a fellow who has had to conduct repairs on the guts of a laptop, if you're working with a laptop open it up and make sure the cables are still secured and if they are and it doesn't read buy a new fucking laptop because it so isn't worth it.

I meant all the rest of this. We need more data, dude.

Did you run any updates before powering down before this happened that might, on an off-chance, have corrupted something?

EDIT: If the BIOS reads your hard drive as there we can basically jump straight to a software issue for the time being.

Edited by Integrity