PS3 Games

Momo

It's actually on sale for 15$ on Amazon right now (Steam, 12/25 only). However, the port to PC is really, really bad, as in, they didn't bother to change the button prompts to pc keys. There's a few mods out there that fix some of the problems the pc port has, but I can't honestly find myself giving more than 10$ for such a shoddy port.

It's actually on sale for 15$ on Amazon right now (Steam, 12/25 only). However, the port to PC is really, really bad, as in, they didn't bother to change the button prompts to pc keys. There's a few mods out there that fix some of the problems the pc port has, but I can't honestly find myself giving more than 10$ for such a shoddy port.

Well, the button thing should be fine if I just use a controller, right? What other problems does the port have? Also, I read something about PVP and jumping into someone else's game or whatever. Can't I just play a single player campaign thing on my own without worrying someone will jump in and kill me suddenly?

I believe you can, if you're not connected to the internet while playing. But invasions are pretty thrilling, as long as your opponent isn't hacking the game (which apparently happens a lot).

Otherwise, I second Esau's post.

Well, the button thing should be fine if I just use a controller, right? What other problems does the port have? Also, I read something about PVP and jumping into someone else's game or whatever. Can't I just play a single player campaign thing on my own without worrying someone will jump in and kill me suddenly?

I forgot to mention those, for many PC gamers it's a bit of a deal-breaker. If you play with M+KB it's more or less impossible to play, you need a controller. Also the FPS is capped and the resolution's not very great. I think there are mods for those though, or some easy workaround. Either way it works fine and better than the console versions, so it's not wholly relevant.

As for the PVP thing, you can disable your internet I guess, but it's not conventional like other kinds of PVP. You can only be invaded from others players while in human form, and you receive many benefits from being connected such as being able to call for assists, see others' phantoms, and read and leave messages for others. In addition you can observe how others died by looking at their bloodstains.

It would take forever to explain it in detail, but you really need to experience the kind of massive multiplayer that the Souls series has firsthand to get it.

The other major problems in the port, as Esau said, are locked framerate and resolution (fixable by a mod), practically useless kb+m controls (doesn't matter much if you're using a controller), and the pathetic GFWL. With the mod and a controller, then it probably plays well enough, and GFWL can be at least tolerated, so it's probably worth buying (only with the mod and controller, though). This is just me, but I personally can't support paying much for such a terrible conversion, I feel it sets a bad precedent if I do. PC's are able to do far more than consoles in processing power, so simply bringing it over untouched is unacceptable. From what I played of Dark Souls, though, the gameplay's pretty cool.

It would take forever to explain it in detail, but you really need to experience the kind of massive multiplayer that the Souls series has firsthand to get it.

I'll have to agree with this. The Souls games have a really unique multiplayer experience. Some people don't like it because it's not quite like the multiplayer in other games, but I think it's a very good, if subtle, idea, which is similar to how the Souls games do just about everything else: with subtlety. In fact, you could say the subtlety is their strong point, if not the strongest.

(that's also why I'm not hyped for Dark Souls II ;__; )

Edited by Nightmare

The other major problems in the port, as Esau said, are locked framerate and resolution (fixable by a mod), practically useless kb+m controls (doesn't matter much if you're using a controller), and the pathetic GFWL. With the mod and a controller, then it probably plays well enough, and GFWL can be at least tolerated, so it's probably worth buying (only with the mod and controller, though). This is just me, but I personally can't support paying much for such a terrible conversion, I feel it sets a bad precedent if I do. PC's are able to do far more than consoles in processing power, so simply bringing it over untouched is unacceptable. From what I played of Dark Souls, though, the gameplay's pretty cool.

What's GFWL? Also, locked resolution means I can't change it to my screen res, which would be fine if the res doesn't suck. But from the sound of the complaint I'm guessing it's stuck at something stupid like 800x600?

edit: probably games for windows live, but why is it pathetic?

Edited by Narga_Rocks

It's 1280x720, which is console resolution. I personally have a 1920x1080 screen, so if the mod didn't existed, it would be unacceptable for me. Gaming pcs almost always have something above 1280x720, too.

GFWL is just a whole mess of problems. A few include being redundant drm on top of another drm (Steam), screwing around with your save files, it's interface being pretty shit, and it's not supported in the majority of countries (basically a form of region locking). It's not as downright offensive as Securom, but I'd argue that it's an overall hindrance. It doesn't help that Microsoft barely supports it.

Edited by Constable Reggie

I set up an account for windows live and had it connected with the XBL account I had when my 360 worked, and when I was a minor (so well over 2 years ago). At first I thought that just meant I couldn't do certain things online, but both Red Faction Guerrilla and GTAIV require a WL login to save, far as I can tell. No obvious way to deal with it other than calling customer service, and being classified as a minor I can't change certain shit without some authorization I'm pretty sure is long lost.

So that's not going to be everybody's experience, but haha fuck really

I see where you're coming from there, have to go with content that you want to see more of, but I'm definitely forgiving when it comes to these guys with some of these issues, since they're really unfamiliar with the PC scene and this was all made possible through vigorous online petitions to From.

I'll have to agree with this. The Souls games have a really unique multiplayer experience. Some people don't like it because it's not quite like the multiplayer in other games, but I think it's a very good, if subtle, idea, which is similar to how the Souls games do just about everything else: with subtlety. In fact, you could say the subtlety is their strong point, if not the strongest.

(that's also why I'm not hyped for Dark Souls II ;__; )

Wait what's wrong with Dark Souls II? I haven't heard anything about it other than that there'll be a second one. I heard some hoo-hah about "CoD audience" stuff, but I assumed it was just a bunch of silliness.

What's GFWL? Also, locked resolution means I can't change it to my screen res, which would be fine if the res doesn't suck. But from the sound of the complaint I'm guessing it's stuck at something stupid like 800x600?

edit: probably games for windows live, but why is it pathetic?

GFWL is notorious for just being a huge pain in the ass. I couldn't even play games like Dawn of War for the longest time because it just would not let me log in. It's just an annoying, invasive system Microsoft tried to push thinking it would be the next big unifying factor. Think the Xbox dashboard on the PC. It just ended up being a major headache though, and its problems are often dealbreakers for potential buyers.

I didn't have any problems while playing Dark Souls with it, but GFWL is in general pretty bad. So I dunno there.

Wait what's wrong with Dark Souls II? I haven't heard anything about it other than that there'll be a second one. I heard some hoo-hah about "CoD audience" stuff, but I assumed it was just a bunch of silliness.

Well, I won't be decrying it right away, but it got a change of directors and the new directors seem to want to go for a really straightforward and...direct approach. I just feel cautiously pessimistic about that sort of approach when it comes to Souls, because the subtlety was one of my most favourite things about the games.

It is worth triple that and if you aren't willing to buy it I will personally gift it to you because I am such a bro.

It's that good.

fuck i missed the opportunity for a free game that i would really want to boot

edit: seriously though, i can't play dark souls on pc because it's region locked. fuck me, right?

Edited by Stolypin Necktie

I see where you're coming from there, have to go with content that you want to see more of, but I'm definitely forgiving when it comes to these guys with some of these issues, since they're really unfamiliar with the PC scene and this was all made possible through vigorous online petitions to From.

I understand that they're new to the whole pc porting thing, but when one guy is able to fix the resolution problems in one day and the fps lock in a few more, what does that say about them? Oh, and putting GFWL is almost as unexcusable as Batman: AC's implementation of Securom. It's a shame the port was so bad considering the game itself is really cool. I guess I could commend them on keeping it at least playable (with a mandatory accessory), unlike Saints motherfucking Row 2.

Edited by Constable Reggie

The game might be my most favourite thing related to Scott Pilgrim.

But Double Dragon Neon is just the best beat 'em up of this generation, if not ever.

I understand that they're new to the whole pc porting thing, but when one guy is able to fix the resolution problems in one day and the fps lock in a few more, what does that say about them?

That From Software were busy putting the game together into a playable state.

Edited by Ike-Mike

You guys didn't mention how ridiculously hard the game is. The second boss only died because it fell off the bridge. Which was hilarious, but I felt a little bad considering out of 12+ tries against the thing I'd only gotten it below half health one other time. (actually below 1/4 health that time) It fell off with 2/3 health remaining, which all went away when it fell. Haha. Best part was that in my x-1 attempt, it had pushed me off the bridge, so I felt a little bit of poetic justice when I shoved it off.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

fuck i missed the opportunity for a free game that i would really want to boot

edit: seriously though, i can't play dark souls on pc because it's region locked. fuck me, right?

Move to the US for Dark Souls.

Do it it's totally worth it man

Thanks for all the suggestions dudes, I got the PS3 today and bought Red Dead Redemption (my friend held me at gunpoint and forced me to), but I'll look into the stuff you dudes suggested in the next few days. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

Add Alotofmomos on PSN. I-If you want to. It's not like I want you to or anything.