Ephraim's or Eirika's Route?

ZemZem

111 members have voted

1. 1. Route you prefer?

- There's no mention of Joshua's past until it's mentioned in his ending as if you already knew it.

Dunno if it's thanks to Levin in FE4, but the moment I saw Joshua, I knew he was the prince of some country. Jehanna being the only kingdom we didn't see the heir, it wasn't that surprising seeing it at the end of my first play.

Back on topic, I'll go for Eirika's route because:

1°) Eirika has a skirt (I'd rather have the good looking girl as my lord than Ephraim)

2°) I hate Ephraim

3°) I have my EirikaxTana pairing earlier

I don't know what everyone has against the phantom ship chapter, it's my favorite, I wish it was on Eirika's route instead of that stupid fortress.

- Gerik and Tethys splitting up from Eirika's group makes no sense since the most direct route to Grado was the one Eirika was taking at the time. And yet they still managed to get to the Marsh before Eirika got to Jehanna.

I don't actually recall the game saying Eirika and Gerik met up. As far as I can remember, it just says he and Tethys split off from Innes, which they could have done before he met up with Eirika.

- There's no mention of Joshua's past until it's mentioned in his ending as if you already knew it.

Not a plot hole in any way.

- Ephraim and L'Arachel introduce themselves to eachother in chapter 15, even though they already met four chapters earlier.

That is bad.

Anyway, Ephraim's route because Duessel earlier and Lyon's slightly more interesting as a villain.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Overall, I say Ephraim's route. Despite the fact that I hate Chapter 11, (I'm still trying to beat it in hard mode) the chapters (aside from chapter 11) don't feel annoying easy and actually feel interesting. Plus Eirika during my experiences suck. Saleh is awesome but I'm not going to use him earlier if it means I have to use Eirika's route.

Not so much a plot hole but I love how in Erika's route in pretty much implies Ephraim and Duessel took down the entire Grado Empire together. Just the two of them because they are that bad ass.

That. I've only played Eirika's route, so I had to look up who joins in Ephraim's Chapter 16. What was Eirika doing that whole time?

• 2 weeks later...

Never understand the "Ephraim's more difficult than Eirika's", Ephraim's chapters are sooooooo easy and i don't even use him, he just follows the others who just rollstomp the map.

I prefer Eirika's in all aspects but i generally go for Ephraim's cause it's too easy and my three recruits can lvl up much easier to become powerhouse.

Try Ephraim route without grinding, arena use, going slowly, or tower use.

It becomes pretty obnoxious.

Btw, I find Ephraim route more fun due to 3 Knight Crests.

And the fact that I don't have to use a "meh" unit like Eirika every chapter past ch15.

Try Ephraim route without grinding, arena use, going slowly, or tower use.

It becomes pretty obnoxious.

Btw, I find Ephraim route more fun due to 3 Knight Crests.

And the fact that I don't have to use a "meh" unit like Eirika every chapter past ch15.

Arena ? What's that ? Never used arena more than like 3 times in my life, it's boring as hell. :spengbab:

I usually use Tower just before Chapter 18 'cause I hate those Gorgons. >_<

The only Knight Crest, that I use, is for :Amelia: (sometimes for :Gilliam: too, I love Generals so much...).

The only thing that's bothering me in Ephraim's route are those Druids@FuryStaff during the last mission, always forgot about them...

I don't actually recall the game saying Eirika and Gerik met up. As far as I can remember, it just says he and Tethys split off from Innes, which they could have done before he met up with Eirika.

Gerik and Tethys were a part of Eirika's group though. It's kinda jarring. Probably would have made more sense if the two were temporarily usable for one chapter, left, and then rejoined in Chapter 15 in Eirika's story.
Not a plot hole in any way.
Still doesn't explain how Eirika manages to get Jehanna's legendaries without Joshua in Ephraim's story. It may probably be hand-waved by Ismaire clinging on to life later than she does on Eirika's story, but I would like some explanation given by the story regardless. I don't care if Joshua has to sit out and disappear from the roster for 6 chapters in the process just for an explanation to happen, but I would like something.

Anyways, since I'm more of a story > gameplay guy, I'll pick Eirika's route. Certain story details make more sense on that route (Lyon's possession being one of them), and just slightly better characterisation overall.

Edited by Little Al

• 2 months later...

I used to only play Ephraim's route, because I absolutely love Ephraim. But then I discovered Eirika's route is much easier, so I've been doing that. In Ephraim's you get more Knight Crests, like people have mentioned, so if you're big on using cavaliers, that's the route to go. Of course, you can always buy more Knight Crests from the secret shop in either route, so that's an option if you have lots of extra money. If you're relatively new to the game, Eirika's is probably a better choice because I think the maps are a bit easier.

Usually Ephraim's mode, just because harder chapters and the music is WAY better than Erika's boring music.

^this

Although some valid points have been made like the fact that Eirika's story makes more sense and no Phantom Ship (not that it's anything compared to FE11-13 difficulty). Plus, this made me laugh:

Not so much a plot hole but I love how in Erika's route in pretty much implies Ephraim and Duessel took down the entire Grado Empire together. Just the two of them because they are that bad ass.

But still Ephraim because he is so much cooler than Eirika and the harder maps are always more fun :)

Totally Ephraim, probably because I like Ephraim more lololol. Though I think I probably did both ways... like in multiple plays. I think I would prefer Ephraim though it'd be more difficult.

Never understand the "Ephraim's more difficult than Eirika's", Ephraim's chapters are sooooooo easy and i don't even use him, he just follows the others who just rollstomp the map.

I prefer Eirika's in all aspects but i generally go for Ephraim's cause it's too easy and my three recruits can lvl up much easier to become powerhouse.

i'm not sure if that's a function of ephraim's route specifically or the fact that fe8 is easy in general because i honestly didn't have trouble with either route

• 2 weeks later...

Storyline wise, I did prefer Eirika's route a bit; just because it's a better transition from the main storyline. But subjectively, Ephraim's route > any route in FE8 because Ephraim > all. And ransacking the whole capital with a few people compared to playing messenger? Yeah.

But my natural first choice when I first played the game is Eirika's route though.