Why was Akaneia changed to Iris?

Jagen

Sorry if I missed something, but does it ever explain exactly why The whole continent (and the countries for that matter) changed it's name? It just doesn't make sense to me why they would change all the names. I know it's 2000 years later but still...

What used to be Aritia is now part of Perezia, for that matter. Those 2000 years weren't a calm period.

It seems that the inhabitants in this world have the habit of naming continents after the most influential country. It used to be Akaneia, and it has (probably) changed to Iris when the first Holy King formed the nation.

I'm pretty sure people 2000 years ago in the real world also used different names for most if not all of the continents. It would be stranger if they kept the same names.

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it? I can't say. People just liked it better that way.

Not quite. It was changed since New Amsterdam was given to the British in exchange of part of Guyana, so they changed it's name to reflect the new ownership (likewise with that part of Guyana which became Surinam). Kinda the same deal when they also gained New France and renamed it Canada.

Though this case doesn't seem to apply to the Akaneia>Ylesse transition considering Marth's lineage still rules the place.

Dunno about Ylisse, but 'Iris' sounds like the sort of name you'd give a country after unifying a bunch of factions, it being related to rainbows and all. I'd imagine that at some point in the past Akaneia was dissolved by some other army and then Marth's lineage took it back and called it Iris/Ylisse.

Basically, a standard plot for this series except without the game to support it.

Not quite. It was changed since New Amsterdam was given to the British in exchange of part of Guyana, so they changed it's name to reflect the new ownership (likewise with that part of Guyana which became Surinam). Kinda the same deal when they also gained New France and renamed it Canada.

Though this case doesn't seem to apply to the Akaneia>Ylesse transition considering Marth's lineage still rules the place.

:p

(my face when/if every FE game has indeed taken place in the same geographic area, just over thousands and thousands of years at the least)

Well, when the Anglos (and Saxons and Jutes) took over Britain, they changed its name to England; and when the Franks took over Gaul, they changed its name to France.

Maybe some tribe called the Yliscans took over Archanea and changed its name too.