So what's the point of having stave users counter attack?

It's more the effect that comes with having staves equipped(ex: heal giving the user +10 HP when equipped), I guess they decided they should be able to counter attack as well since they're equipped.

ninja

Edited by Kitty of Time

You also get a lot of wexp when you counter with a staff in addition to some okay secondary effects, so it's not entirely pointless to counter with a staff. Give a mage a discipline scroll and intentionally expose them to some enemies on the EP for some extremely fast staff rank gains. It's not ideal for characters like Micaiah and the bishops who would rather counter with magic all the time, but it's better than being staff-locked and unable to counter at all.

I agree with the point about weapon level gain.

However, I think it's also so that there is an animation present. When a unit is disarmed, battle animations are completely disabled. I think that's the same reason why Laguz counter with their fists untransformed. The Herons are an expection, which I cannot figure why.

You also get a lot of wexp when you counter with a staff in addition to some okay secondary effects, so it's not entirely pointless to counter with a staff. Give a mage a discipline scroll and intentionally expose them to some enemies on the EP for some extremely fast staff rank gains. It's not ideal for characters like Micaiah and the bishops who would rather counter with magic all the time, but it's better than being staff-locked and unable to counter at all.

Totes. Its how i love to spam Soren's staff level without spamming healing all the time. Put Discipline on him, give him a staff, equip it and have guys attack him, instant wexp!!! Even funnier if he manages to kill something with it.

Maybe after the script was written someone pointed out that the Black Knight's line about being unable to hurt someone who can't defend themselves makes no sense since he can kill staff users. So they decided to make staff users viciously counter attack with all their might. (ie nothing). The Black Knight can still kill people who have absolutely nothing equipped. Or maybe it was because of the hilariously cute animation they were able to make as a result.