Bad promote choice run

Oh, I heard the trainees are way better in the JAP version. On the NA version the super trainees gain ZERO CON, thats why I consider them to be the worst choice. Do they gain CON when promoting in the JAP version?

As far as team size goes, larger teams (12+ units) are usually worse than smaller teams (~8 units). So use every single unit and just bring the lowest level units to each map.

Promoting to super in Jap does not give a con bonus, but the trainees are uber stat-wise disregarding Con. I dunno if I'd really say that CON gain makes or breaks the character, but you may be right considering Amelia can't even hold an iron lance without penalty, ross can't hold an iron axe without penalty, and ewan can't even think about using any other magic than fire.

All in all, thinking solely that CON makes or breaks a unit, the super trainees actually suck, and considering in story mode I can only get 1 body ring to up con for the guys, it makes for tough decisions.

I haven't even recorded the first episode cause I wanna get everything straight here.

Final verdict: Super trainees here we come... =D

PS: I wonder if this could be considered an attempt at making myself actually rage at the game XP

I actually think that less units might be a good challenge for stuff like the Phantom ship in ephriam's route, or Hamill Canyon in Eirika's, and then in end game, chapter 20 will be a pain in the rear.

Edited by FinchTheBowDruid

Just a note: in general, better promotions are ones with utility (Higher Staff rank, namely), better Move, and better Speed. Classes that could be on horses should be on foot, even if their stats are better. Also, Wyvern Lord > Wyvern Knight for Cormag. He -needs- that 3 Speed from promotion, and is sort of crappy for a wyvern without it. Hence the early promo.

Edited by Terrador

Because in a game like FE8, anyone with magic above like, 15, can take on almost any enemy and do reasonably well in the long run. Giving Lute a horse allows her to be more versatile, get to kill stuff faster, and even assist in rescue chains. 30 of anything in overkill in a game as easy as this. Light Magic is negligible, unless you have Slayer.

Lute gets staves upon promotion so rescuechaining with her is a bad idea, as there are others who do that better. MK!Lute may not be an entirely good idea if you plan to design Lute as your warper, because she's seriously likely to ram her magic caps even when promoted early, plus she will have more trouble with being mobile in the desert chapter (granted, there are plenty of places to go that don't affect terrain). MK's move advantage over Sage is also just 1 point in this game, so it's probably not worth it. Rescuer Lute is best as a MK though (the 1 move makes a difference, and if she's not warping, the magic caps don't matter).

Just a note: in general, better promotions are ones with utility (Higher Staff rank, namely), better Move, and better Speed. Classes that could be on horses should be on foot, even if their stats are better. Also, Wyvern Lord > Wyvern Knight for Cormag. He -needs- that 3 Speed from promotion, and is sort of crappy for a wyvern without it. Hence the early promo.

In theory then, no mounted units period and no natural staff class (cleric, troubador, priest) would be ideal.

Also, I don't usually ever end up using warp staves and rescues whenever I play. In addition, my playstyle doesn't exactly require rescuing, and warping with crappy characters might not be the best idea. As such, i'm happy with heal staves and physic

**Just realized, has anyone looked into promo gains for a knight -> gk? and also, according to the averages posted for Giliam, he seems to end up with all around worse stats as a GK than Gen.... Starting to think GK is the worse idea. If I was gonna screw myself over, I wouldn't take the +2 con bonus turning from knight -> Gen and all around better end stats for the +1 move. I might just think wierdly though and am missing something

Edited by FinchTheBowDruid

You have a bunch of draft players and LTC enthusiasts giving opinions on the classes. For LTC, movement >>>>> minor stat boosts. Thats why they are saying GK > General.

You are clearly a casual player and since turncounts dont matter to you, go with the statistically inferior choices.

You have a bunch of draft players and LTC enthusiasts giving opinions on the classes. For LTC, movement >>>>> minor stat boosts. Thats why they are saying GK > General.

You are clearly a casual player and since turncounts dont matter to you, go with the statistically inferior choices.

That explains quite a bit thanks.

If you're leaving Marisa out because you think she's good, don't. She doesn't care about class because she's that terrible.

Also, generally pally>gk>gen. The extra stats generally don't make up for the lower move. They'll still have good combat and they'll be able to get around more quickly.

It depends actually. Gerik and Lute are some of the characters who might prefer other benefits besides movement when choosing their promotion. Talking about LTC play.

^ They are probably the only 2 exceptions to the movement > stats rule. Lute wants the higher MAG cap for warp since it can potentially save a turn or 2. Gerik is excellent no matter which promotion he takes, however I have found that for draft play, Ranger is definitely his better option. Although pretty much everyone goes with Hero for the axes.

For this playthrough, Gerik should just be avoided.