This game's AI?

darkkfan

Not sure if this has already been asked; I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, how much do we know about the game's AI? Have any rules been discovered like FE12's always attacking the lowest defense? Is the AI dumb like in FE12 or does this game present challenge by giving the enemy strategy in addition to stats? Also, how does the difficulty level affect AI in this game?

By the way, I haven't seen many players form a wall in LP. I remember, particularly in FE12, walling was a vital strategy in Lunatic. Is it still as important? Perhaps this is because I haven't found any Lunatic LPs if they are even out there.

Edited by starfirelord

I'm not sure how difficulty changes the AI since Normal/Hard (at least the 2 demo chapters) are really easy because enemy attack is pitiful.

The AI in this game is really good. I've heard that if a weaker enemy is blocking stronger ones from attacking, they'll move out of the way to let them in. I believe that like in FE12, they prefer to target the enemy they do the most damage to, but unlike FE12, I've been unable to actually manipulate this to my advantage. I think that unlike previous games, it checks to see if a combination of attacks will kill a unit (rather than just one unit's attack individually) and if it can it will do so. Also I think that it doesn't use a strict "this unit moves then this then this" which seems to be upheld in previous games, but I could be wrong on that.

I think they're also smarter about where they move to attack you from. There was a few times in previous FEs where 2 enemies would be able to hit someone but one could only hit from one space, and the other one would move first and attack from that space even though it had other options (this mostly comes to mind for 7 so this might've been improved earlier than this game).

Edited by Paperblade

I'm not sure how difficulty changes the AI since Normal/Hard (at least the 2 demo chapters) are really easy because enemy attack is pitiful.

The AI in this game is really good. I've heard that if a weaker enemy is blocking stronger ones from attacking, they'll move out of the way to let them in. I believe that like in FE12, they prefer to target the enemy they do the most damage to, but unlike FE12, I've been unable to actually manipulate this to my advantage. I think that unlike previous games, it checks to see if a combination of attacks will kill a unit (rather than just one unit's attack individually) and if it can it will do so. Also I think that it doesn't use a strict "this unit moves then this then this" which seems to be upheld in previous games, but I could be wrong on that.

I think they're also smarter about where they move to attack you from. There was a few times in previous FEs where 2 enemies would be able to hit someone but one could only hit from one space, and the other one would move first and attack from that space even though it had other options (this mostly comes to mind for 7 so this might've been improved earlier than this game).

This is helpful, and it is a good start. Can someone who has played the Japanese version provide some insight into the mechanics of the AI on Lunatic?

The only thing I noticed in particular going through Lunatic was pretty much exactly what Paperblade said: they'll make odd moves to give themselves the chance to kill a character.