Shield of Seals + Sacred Stones?

Murdok Dracul

I remember there being a short discussion about this quite a while ago in a thread which attempted to unite all the FE games into one timeline. Personally, I loved that idea, and I'm always happy to see references across games, as few as they are.

Here's the point: right now, I'm playing FE12 for the first time, and I've just finished chapter 10. At this point, Gotoh tells Marth that Hardin has turned evil because his soul is trapped within the Darksphere, one of five sacred orbs which can turn its owner into a demon. It also contributes to the full power of the Fire Emblem, which in this story is the Shield of Seals.

This is very similar to the Stone of Grado, one of five Sacred Stones, from which the Demon King escapes and possesses Lyon. It splits into two objects, one known as the Dark Stone, and the other as the Fire Emblem.

They seem like parallel objects to me, or maybe they're even the same.

Could the Sacred Stones and the orbs of the Shield be the same objects? I'm not too brushed up on the history of Akaneia/Ylisse outside of what's said in FE11 and the first 10 chapters of FE12. Is there anyone who knows more about it who thinks there's a connection here, or anyone who thinks there isn't? And how exactly could they be connected chronologically? I know most of the Sacred Stones are destroyed during FE8, so logically it would have to happen after FE12. But then what about Awakening? Isn't the Shield of Seals in that with all of the orbs? Could FE8 possibly happen after FE13? Is there anything that absolutely disproves the possibility of a connection?

I just want to know what other people think about this, if they're even interested.

Edited by Murdok Dracul

It's a nice theory, but I don't think there's any evidence either way.

Although I will mention Gharnef's title in the Japanese version is "Dark Demon King" so it would be really funny if he was FE8's Demon King (but, watch out, "Demon King" is a very generic title in Japan).

It's a nice theory, but I don't think there's any evidence either way.

Although I will mention Gharnef's title in the Japanese version is "Dark Demon King" so it would be really funny if he was FE8's Demon King (but, watch out, "Demon King" is a very generic title in Japan).

That actually crossed my mind very briefly, but as you say, it's only a tenuous link. Anyway, Fomortiis is a bit more...monstrous than Gharnef.

Oh actually, there's a tiny flaw with connecting FE13 and the other games--in FE13, none of the orbs make you go berserk... I think.

They're clearly the same orbs from Archanea, but it makes me wonder if they're new models or if Naga somehow fixed the Darksphere/Black Flame for humans.

Oh actually, there's a tiny flaw with connecting FE13 and the other games--in FE13, none of the orbs make you go berserk... I think.

They're clearly the same orbs from Archanea, but it makes me wonder if they're new models or if Naga somehow fixed the Darksphere/Black Flame for humans.

Who had the black flame? Maybe they just didn't hold on to it for long enough?

I think I remember reading that when Chrom meets Eirika in one of the DLC/Spotpass maps, he mentions that he knows about her from the past...or...something...which would mean 13 should come after 8. Anyone know if this is right?

Who had the black flame? Maybe they just didn't hold on to it for long enough?

I actually don't know; I've tried my best to avoid the detailed parts of the story ^^;;;

I suppose they could also wrap the orb in cloth, like Lehran's Medallion.

EDIT

All the other FE games take place before FE13 according to the DLC.

Edited by VincentASM

All the other FE games take place before FE13 according to the DLC.

So the stones and spheres probably aren't the same, unless Awakening's 'flames' were made to replace the crushed Sacred Stones (but that's me grasping at straws - it'd make a fun fanfic though). Still, it can't be a coincidence, surely. I guess the writers put it in FE8 just as a reference to FE1 and 3. Or in the FE World, using five magic stones with demonic properties is a known ritual (or something) that has simply been used in two separate instances.

I think they just ripped off the story for FE3/12 to make FE8. Only instead of one gary stu hero character they had five.

Though this was disappointing to me when I realized this. Sacred stones was my favorite game and to realize its plot was just a spoof of FE3 made me a sad fan. lol