Gameplay Speculation

Now we all know how Fire Emblem works. But those of you who don't know how SMT works heres the gist

It's JRPG like [the original game had a weird map and first person view in buildings] but you'd walk around get attacked at random and you could recruit the monsters/demons/etc you met if you negotiated with them correctly, think kinda pokemon like but not at the same time [sMT came round before Pokemon] you had to fuse creatures together to get more powerful ones and you also had your small group of Human characters who when they leveled up you'd decide their stats and such

for more detailed INFO go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei#Gameplay

Now, tell me how do you think they will mesh these 2 series together? Even if your thought is off the wall insane [like say a fighting game] share it, all opinions are valid here seeing as we know absolutely nothing

I was thinking it could be a fighting game, but now I think if that were the case, it would be called Shin Megami Tensei VS Fire Emblem rather than Shin Megami Tensei + Fire Emblem. But then again, maybe IS and Atlus want to surprise us...

I would imagine the possibility of each combination (FE characters in SMT, and vice versa) being used periodically throughout the story, only to culminate at the end of the game.

It would be hilarious to see how each side would react to the setting (FE: "What am Phone?" SMT "This is such a simple world, it's saddening"), or something along those lines.

Edited by Diortem

I'm thinking it's going to be a mesh between Fire Emblem and Devil Survivor. What I'm concerned about is how they'll handle demon summoning.

I think this is probably the most logical assumption, and maybe each series's characters will have unique abilities to their series? I dno myself

[Doga's Dating Sim/Platformer comment did make me laugh though]

It's JRPG like [the original game had a weird map and first person view in buildings] but you'd walk around get attacked at random and you could recruit the monsters/demons/etc you met if you negotiated with them correctly, think kinda pokemon like but not at the same time [sMT came round before Pokemon]

That sounds a little bit like the capture mechanic from FE5 to me.

What puzzles me is that FE has loads and loads of characters (though I don't know whether SMT also does or not), which IMO rules out the usual JRPG setup of a three- or four-character party. (Unless Mother, Golden Sun, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger are exceptions to the usual JRPG setup; they are the only JRPG series...es... with which I am intimately familiar.)

But that's what I think it won't be. What I think it will be is a turn-based strategy game with possibly more RPG elements than FE has. But I'm not sure what those RPG elements would be.

Edited by Paper Jam

That sounds a little bit like the capture mechanic from FE5 to me.

What puzzles me is that FE has loads and loads of characters (though I don't know whether SMT also does or not), which IMO rules out the usual JRPG setup of a three- or four-character party. (Unless Mother, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger are exceptions to the usual JRPG setup; they are the only JRPG series...es... with which I am intimately familiar.)

But that's what I think it won't be. What I think it will be is a turn-based strategy game with possibly more RPG elements than FE has. But I'm not sure what those RPG elements would be.

SMT has a metric ton of playable demons, probably as many or more then there are FE characters

The SMT characters will summon the FE characters as their demons.

fusion works like pairings. e.g. You can fuse Eliwood and Ninian to get Roy.

And then part of the FE community will bitch and whine about the Fire Emblem portion of "SMT x Fire Emblem" being inadequately represented in a game in which the name implies that it's either a fighting game crossover or some RPG in which both parties are treated as equals.

Edited by Sirius

I feel that the strategy turn based gameplay would be more likely the gameplay. After all FE is a SRPG.

SMT had spinoffs that dealt with SRPG. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 being the recent ones.

However before DeSu was Majin Tensei 1 and 2. and let me tell you I have a feeling it will work.

Majin Tensei

It's not as far-fetched as it seems from first glance.Either way the gameplay may be the most frustrating if we consider FE's perma-death along with our Hama and Mudo spells of SMT. Even if they made Hama's effect the halving or taking 3/4 of one's HP effect like in DDS, Nocturne and the other old games, Mudo always had been a chance to instant death spell. Much frustration is to be had.

Edited by alarnis92

I feel that the strategy turn based gameplay would be more likely the gameplay. After all FE is a SRPG.

SMT had spinoffs that dealt with SRPG. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 being the recent ones.

However before DeSu was Majin Tensei 1 and 2. and let me tell you I have a feeling it will work.

Majin Tensei

It'd not as far-fetched as it seems from first glance.

Heeeey I forgot about the Majin Tensei games. Nice reminder this doesn't seem as crazy as before now that I see those again.

I seriously don't expect it to be a fighting game like many people claim - neither company has any experience with it, and Atlus has already shown that if they're looking for a fighting game they'll get a dedicated developper on-board for that (Atlus did ask the creators of Guilty Gear / BlazBlue to help them create Persona 4 Arena, afterall).

With both Atlus and IS working on it I fully expect an actual strategy game. I'm actually not expecting to see many playable demons (Aside from a Jack Frost promoting into Black Frost or something), but do expect them to make up the majority of the enemies.

fusion works like pairings. e.g. You can fuse Eliwood and Ninian to get Roy.
I joked around about this the first time I heard someone mention SMTxFE. "Lord Sigurd + Pegasus Florina = Mercenary Ogma" or... something like that.

I honestly hope they take a lot of cues from FE and make a less grindy game, but Atlus is the main dev here so it's impossible to say. I feel like the Devil Survivor games are the starting point design-wise. I want something heavier on strategy and less dependant on "can you null/reflect/absorb this cheap BS?"

Ideally the balance they struck in Persona 4 between the strength of the enemies and the strength of the player party will return.

Edited by Samias