Value of Classes

Knight

I have been looking at stat caps, and I noticed something, a lot of classes have poor caps compared to others. Compare the Swordmaster and the Assassin; Assassin has the same speed and skill, better strength, and use of bows, while swordmaster only has slightly better defences, a stat that is in poor growth to them. Bow Knights aren't much better off, heroes and snipers both are more powerful in all the important things, despite the movement boost. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, I am not taking account for skills, but those can be used in any class so by the time you get them to where you want them to go, these classes end up out of practicality. Does anyone else think this, or are there other classes you feel aren't as useful?

I'm no expert on this game, but doesn't each unit have personal stat caps for each class? Also, you have to realize that each class has a certain skillset attributed to it. I think that we'd all agree here, if one class had higher caps, and the other Lightning Speed, the later would be given preference.

It's complicated.

Ingame, the classes' base stats matter a lot, since those determine how the characters' stats change when switching to the class, as do skills, since limited levels mean you're using high-level skills in the class where you got them, or at least in classes where you've spend a lot of time. Caps and secondary weapons are worthless because you're not reaching the caps without severely lopsided levels (which can have some good reasons) and starting from E at promotion for a weapon type that'll never do much your primary one can't just isn't something worth bothering with.

Postgame with grinding, which class you got skills from is irrelevant, since you can take them into any class, so as long as you can learn the skill, it doesn't matter which class you get it from. You can cap all your stats, so the caps matter, while base stats just don't, and it's perfectly feasible to get all your weapon ranks to A and use all the available weapons effectively.

This has some odd results. Ingame, Swordmaster pretty much outclasses Assassin, since its skills and base stats are way better, but postgame, Assassins' better caps are what matter instead, and bow access can come in handy, especially for slaying any fliers that might survive other attacks. There are plenty of those in the MAX DLC, the only place you'd notice a difference in the first place at those levels anyway. It's worth noting that Assassins can never match Swordmasters' access to Amatsu and the Sol Katti, but in postgame, Amatsu is outclassed by Ragnell and Sol Katti's low Mt is likely to cause more problems than its eneormous Crit will solve.

I'm no expert on this game, but doesn't each unit have personal stat caps for each class? Also, you have to realize that each class has a certain skillset attributed to it. I think that we'd all agree here, if one class had higher caps, and the other Lightning Speed, the later would be given preference.

Each character has one set of personal stat cap adjustments for all classes. So for a character with +4 Str, a class with 44 max vs. a class with 42 max will instead be a choice between 48 max and 46 max, but the former will still have +2 Str compared to the latter.

Edited by Othin

Between varying stats growths/caps, weapon combinations, mobility levels, terrain restrictions, and skills, I am sure every class has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.

After all, this is made by a company called Intelligent Systems, who specialize in making.....intelligent systems.

So I won't have to worry about stat caps until the ultimate training DLC, that's good news. Swordmasters aren't useless! Wyvern Lords are still the best in my books.

Nobody has personalized caps before FE13. Ephraim and eirika had different classes to begin with (or a male and female version of the same class depending on your POV).

That's what I meant. The topic creator was talking about classes having inferior stats to one-another, despite growth differences. (Unless I misunderstood things?) I was saying that things like this have always existed

Between varying stats growths/caps, weapon combinations, mobility levels, terrain restrictions, and skills, I am sure every class has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.

After all, this is made by a company called Intelligent Systems, who specialize in making.....intelligent systems.

Hahahaha ^this

That's what I meant. The topic creator was talking about classes having inferior stats to one-another, despite growth differences. (Unless I misunderstood things?) I was saying that things like this have always existed

But it wasn't really an issue before, because there was either no class changing or limited time to level up. Now, there's class changing and as much grinding as you want.