Will FEA Be Localized like Kid Icarus Uprising?

GamingPandas

I heard somewhere that Kid Icarus Uprising was given a total "freehand" by the Japanese Developers in terms of localization style... that amounted to a LOT of changes to the original Japanese dialogue...

Will the same thing happen for FEA? I hope NoA doesn't drastically alter say one of those support convos - completely ignoring what the original game designers designed? That wouldn't be localization would it?

I doubt it will be as large as something like Kid Icarus, but you have to expect some change. Most of the change I'm guessing will be from censorship (looking at you, Nowi) or different culture changes, because one thing that makes sence in Japan might make no sence at all over here in America. But no, I don't think it will be a big change, if at all.

Even in the Demo you can see there have been a lot of minor changes. (Go watch shadowofchaos' video on youtube; he mentions some of them). There are several places you can see in trailers and screenshots where the language has been made less offensive. In one place, for example, they use the word "dastard," which is obviously them wanting to say bastard, but thinking it won't fly with the censors. But overall it should be pretty much the same game; I highly doubt there will be any drastic changes in the localization.

I wasn't aware Kid Icarus had such drastic changes. I think it'll be more or less the same. Although I heard they did kind of change Marth's personality in Shadow Dragon. -_-; So, you never know I guess. Although Dracoknight to Wyvern Rider and all of that seemed a bit unnecessary. Wtf Dark Flier?

the language has been made less offensive. In one place, for example, they use the word "dastard," which is obviously them wanting to say bastard, but thinking it won't fly with the censors.

Uh, no. Dastard and bastard have completely different meanings and offensive language has nothing to do with NOA using dastard since Sully says bastard in her confession, with voice acting even!

I'm hoping they localized the way they localized Shadow Dragon.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Uh, no. Dastard and bastard have completely different meanings and offensive language has nothing to do with NOA using dastard since Sully says bastard in her confession, with voice acting even!

First of all, my dictionary says:

dastard - a dishonorable or despicable person

bastard - (1) a person born of parents not married to each other

(2) an unpleasant or despicable person

So they do actually mean very similar things. And even if they didn't, it would mean nothing. Dang and darn don't mean anything, but everyone knows they both really mean damn. And I'm sure you know what word people are replacing when they say "freaking," "frigging," "fricking," or other similar things.

If you wrote a movie script that used the F word 30 times it would be rated R. If you replaced all of those with "frig" it would be PG-13 or even PG (depending on what else was in there). That's the same thing that they did here, which companies do all the time when they localize Japanese media, because the language is different there and "harsh" or "vulgar" language is different in their culture than it is in ours.

Although Dracoknight to Wyvern Rider and all of that seemed a bit unnecessary. Wtf Dark Flier?

Because having Dracoknights that ride wyverns is far less silly than having Wyvern Riders that... ride wyverns.

Besides, it's entirely possible to have a Dracoknight that marries Tiki or Nowi or Nn. It would probably make things really awkward if they mounted a dragon while mounting dragons.

As opposed to Falcon Knights who ride pegasi?

I suppose. I can't say I wasn't disappointed the first time I saw a Falcon Knight and they weren't riding a giant bird.

The title of Wyvern Rider at least has precedent, though. Falcoknight/Falcon Knight has remained more or less constant throughout localizations in all but whether or not there's a space, and it'd be too odd to change it to Unicorn Knight or Pegasus Lord or whatever now.

Edited by Iridium

Actually, I really like the Falcon Knight terminology. I interpret it as a honorific title - for whatever reason the term "falcon" is culturally associated in-universe with some sort of ideal pegasus performance (something to do with speed?), so the best pegasus knights get called Falcon Knights or something. In that respect I would also support the retention of "Dragon Knight" under the same pretext, if in a slightly modified capacity; after all, I think we can all agree that "dragon" brings to mind a certain connotation of power and majesty, so it's like a natural honorific for the best wyvern riders. For example, the base form would be "Wyvern Rider/Knight/whatever" and the promoted form is "Dragon Rider/Knight/whatever". I guess it's a little late for that, but I can dream, and it's arguably a justification for current situation of the Japanese versions and the English FE10 and FE11 going with the "dragon" terminology.

Edited by Rhinocerocket

Because having Dracoknights that ride wyverns is far less silly than having Wyvern Riders that... ride wyverns.

Besides, it's entirely possible to have a Dracoknight that marries Tiki or Nowi or Nn. It would probably make things really awkward if they mounted a dragon while mounting dragons.

Call it personal preference in a name. Dracoknight also has precedence though.

I'd prefer Falcoknight > Pegasus Rider too.

As a side note, it was cool to see Awakening will actually have griffins or falcons, or whatever,

Edited by ProfRaine

So they do actually mean very similar things. And even if they didn't, it would mean nothing. Dang and darn don't mean anything, but everyone knows they both really mean damn. And I'm sure you know what word people are replacing when they say "freaking," "frigging," "fricking," or other similar things.

If you wrote a movie script that used the F word 30 times it would be rated R. If you replaced all of those with "frig" it would be PG-13 or even PG (depending on what else was in there). That's the same thing that they did here, which companies do all the time when they localize Japanese media, because the language is different there and "harsh" or "vulgar" language is different in their culture than it is in ours.

Steven King wrote this really great piece about this. He said he got a lot of "fan"mail condemning him of using profanity and asking him to instead use more pg words. He argued that it didn't make sense to do such a thing unless it was the character who does something. Example, a street kid will never use the phrase "oh, sugar!" in place of "oh, shit!" It would just break the scene. However, an older lady WOULD use the phrase "oh, sugar!" instead.

In context with this game, I would find it more realistic for some of the female characters and kid characters to use the word darn/dang as opposed to damn, and characters like Chrom and Sully to just use damn. And in situations use dastard instead of bastard. I don't really see the copy/paste of the cover words in this game.

My point, is that in Japan it usually it acceptable to use harsher language for all of their characters but here in the West we have a collectively different mindset. It's not a bad thing in of itself, but it's not going to change unless mentalities change. Which... isn't happening any time soon.

Edited by Twiilere

Only by US standards. People don't care as much about swearing in another countries.

Steven King wrote this really great piece about this. He said he got a lot of "fan"mail condemning him of using profanity and asking him to instead use more pg words. He argued that it didn't make sense to do such a thing unless it was the character who does something. Example, a street kid will never use the phrase "oh, sugar!" in place of "oh, shit!" It would just break the scene. However, an older lady WOULD use the phrase "oh, sugar!" instead.

Isn't that from Misery? Or did he incorporate that into the book?

Only by US standards. People don't care as much about swearing in another countries.

Isn't that from Misery? Or did he incorporate that into the book?

Misery and he also wrote a book called "On Writing." I paraphrased what he said a bit, but the gist is there.

I'm hoping they localized the way they localized Shadow Dragon.

Not likely, since SD was done by 8-4 and every other game (as far as I'm aware) has been done by Treehouse, including this one. Personally, I would say 8-4 are one of the best companies when it comes to J-to-E localizations, but Treehouse has improved a lot since they started doing Fire Emblem.

Edited by Hrodulf

Well Kid Icarus needed some localization changes since some Japanese jokes wouldn't exactly telegraph in America and vice versa.

Like Pit's joke about being in a "Brawl" which was a "smash" then Palutena telling him good thing it wasn't a melee. That's a joke mostly American and European players would get.

Still they had to keep it pretty similar to the Japanese version, NoA just gave it more of an english appeal to it. Luckily Kid Icarus came out just fine.

But anyways, depending on how paranoid NoA is with localization is with the game (Mostly Nowi) we shouldn't see too big of a difference. I mean the game has a T rating which is the highest ESRB rating a fire emblem game has gotten in america along with Path of Radiance. I figure, there will be some edits that make us scratch our heads (like Fredericks pegasus dung line) but, well, we got 1 week before its release. Let's hope for the best.

I doubt Nowi is a serious issue, she looks young, but not "10 years old" young, based on the portraits, shes as tall as at least Tharja and other short women in the group, and her face looks more like an adolescent than a little girl.

Outside the flat chest, I don't see why people say she looks 10. Some people say she looks like a petite adult.