Is it possible to get tired of a person just for the sake of it?

Junkhead

Hello.

I am wondering if it's possible to get tired of a person just by living with them long enough even if they aren't particularly hateful.

This question is coming from an insecurity of my own...

I feel uncomfterble around my mother. The things she says, and alot of times her very presence can shift my good mood...I don't quite get it. Could this be product of living with someone for so long?

With this, in no way I mean to say I hate her- Absolutely not. She's a great mother, but I just feel comfterble and a little shy around her, my own mother.

And my big insecurity is- Will I have to deal with this kind of stuff when I have a girlfriend or similiar? That's what I'm really worried about. It's sad to feel uncomfterble with the people you're supposed to love.

Edited by Soul

Perfectly normal for some people. My 3 siblings and I love my mother but we just cant stand being around her. Me and my older bro are moved out and my 2 younger siblings complain about my mom all the time.

As far as this feeling carrying over into a romantic relationship. For me no, but there are alot of factors that go into a relationship. If you pick the right person, you wont have any problems. If your in a relationship and you are having/ start having those problems, get out before it gets worse.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm REALLY worried about this carrying out into romantic relationships in the future. It's one of the few reasons I wouldn't like to have one in fear of this happening.

Thanks.

Dont worry to much. Just dont rush into getting super serious in a relationship and you should be good. If you get sick of spending 2-3 hrs with someone every day then you know youre not compatible.

If you get sick of spending 2-3 hrs with someone every day then you know youre not compatible.

Really this might just be an introvert thing, but that's actually kind of a lot of time to spend with somebody if it really really is every day forever. It's not unusual or less-than-sensible to want a day or so "off" in even a romantic relationship as much as a few days a week. I think people can kinda pressure themselves (and each other) to be around somebody with whom they want a close relationship, so that they don't look like their commitment is insincere, and as social beings that's not necessarily a bad thing, but even before any kind of new-relationship-buzz wears off it can breed some friction if the little differences shared by the people involved keep coming up.

I am pretty damn bad at staying close with other people in general however, so I should be nobody's last source, but it's something I might have experienced while in a committed relationship, and maybe read a bit about in some pop-psych articles.

Edited by Rehab

Also Soul did you make a topic some months ago about how you didn't hate your parents

Because it's okay, dude

It really is

Um, no...that's already going too far. I couldn not possibly come to hate my parents just for this. And besides, it's one's parents that raise their child and give them stuff throughout the years.

you're fucking 17, of course there will be people you get tired of
Every one gets sick of their parents at some time, buddy.

It probably is a part of growing up that we get sick of our parents and want to 'leave the nest', but I don't think it should just be left at that and not addressed any further, especially if it's something Soul's not happy with.

I am wondering if it's possible to get tired of a person just by living with them long enough even if they aren't particularly hateful.

This happens to me with pretty much everyone I've ever shared the same roof with or spent too much time with in general. Because of that, I think it's pretty normal, even if I personally prefer to be by myself as a whole.

I feel uncomfterble around my mother. The things she says, and alot of times her very presence can shift my good mood...I don't quite get it. Could this be product of living with someone for so long?

My mother is probably the greatest example of this for me too, so I think I know where you're coming from here. For some reason, if she did or said something I didn't like it would usually bug me a lot more than if someone else did. I'm more or less over that hill now, though.

And my big insecurity is- Will I have to deal with this kind of stuff when I have a girlfriend or similiar? That's what I'm really worried about. It's sad to feel uncomfterble with the people you're supposed to love.

I'm willing to bet that you will have the same issue with her. I had a similar issue with a girlfriend that I spent too much time with. There's plenty you can do about it though. Don't just pick the 'right person' and call it a day. That's a little lazy IMO and probably won't work in the long term. Make sure the time you spend together is as productive as possible(I think this is where picking the 'right person' gives a real benefit since someone with the same interests as you is easier to be productive with), don't spend every waking second with her like Rehab said, and if you can manage, try to have an attitude of gratitude. It puts things in a much better perspective.

I hope some of that helps.