My Custom Avatar Army: Assets and Flaws

So, I'm more or less done planning and working out my male/female playthroughs, and I wanted to try making a playthrough where I only use custom avatars (and Chrom of course). Since I also wanted to take this chance to learn the ins and outs of using specific classes, each avatar in my army will be one of each of the promoted classes (one warrior, one hero, one sage etc.), with Chrom standing in as the Great Lord.

That being said, I have absolutely NO IDEA what I will choose for their assets and flaws; would anyone be willing to give me their ideas on what would be the best asset and flaw to have on each particular class?

Like this:

Warrior - Asset: *insert asset here* Flaw: *insert flaw here*

....and so on.....

Also, if its not too much trouble, could you also add explanations as to why one set works most? You don't have to, but I like to know more about these things.

Note: This will include the DLC classes Demon Fighter and Bride once they are released. And special classes such as Dancer and Manakete are excluded for obvious reasons.

Well, in my Male Avatar file, I plan on reclassing to a magic unit, not sure if Dark Mage or Mage yet, and his Best Trait is Magic, and his Worst Trait is Strength. If that helps. 8U; I might have missed the entire point of your thread.

You should probably include the best skill set we can think of. But with just asset flaw take advantage of strong points like warior +strength and ignore weak points - resistance. Least that's what I would do for a warrior.

depends on what you like i like to do stuff like this Dark Flier +Magic -Defence and Wyvern Lord +Speed -Luck and Assassin +Skill - Magic; just some of mine that i would use

Edited by Arch Sage

The absolute BEST way to pick this is to know how the game itself uses each of the stats. I'm also creating an only MU army and I similarly had trouble picking what each of the MUs would get-- (I don't even have the game yet until like 10am today... I've had a LOT of time to plan this xD)

Anyway, the calculations are as follows:

Attack: Str/Mag + Weapon Might + Weapon Rank Bonus

Hit: Weapon Hit Rate + [(skill*3+luck)/2] + Weapon Rank Bonus

Critical: Weapon Critical + (skill/2)

avoid: (speed*3+luck)/2

Weapon Bonuses;;

Sword

c bonus-- power +1

b bonus-- power +2

a bonus-- power +3

Lance, Bow, Tome

c bonus-- power +1

b bonus-- power +1, hit +5

a bonus-- power +2, hit +5

Axe

c bonus-- hit +5

b bonus-- hit +10

a bonus-- hit +10, power +1

Staff

c bonus-- recovery +1

b bonus-- recovery +2

a bonus-- recovery +3

____

Because I'm a dirty cheater, I'm gonna make my very first character a swordmaster whose stats will look as follows:

Raine;; Swordmaster

+speed

-magic

Barbarian (10) Gamble-- hit-5, crit+10

Berserker (5) Wrath-- +20 crit when under 1/2 HP

[Assassin (15) Lethality-- instantly kills an enemy. (skill/4)%]

[Demon Hunter (15) Quickblade-- +10 strength on player's turn]

Myrmidon (10) Vantage-- When HP falls under 1/2, take the first attack during enemy's turn

Swordmaster (15) Sword Expert-- +5 strength when using a sword

the math;; With a max skill of 44, the highest crit stat I could have based on skill alone is 22-- when opposed by the opponent's luck stat (calculation method pending), this isn't a very high number. However, by taking the barbarian and berserker's skills, you can give him a max of 52-- and when paired with a dark mage/tactician with Anathema/Solidarity-- you can give him yet another 20 point boost giving him a flat rate of 72 to crit without even taking into account the weapon's crit rate... give him a Sol Katti and he'll have a crit rate of 122 striking first on the enemy's turn.

every--

single--

time.

While their strength isn't as pro as an assassin's, by giving him quickblade instead of going down the assassin route you can give him a +15 strength during your turn. With crits multiplying damage by three, you're essentially adding 45 damage to your attacks. The only thing I'd say with this character is to watch out for ranged attackers or attackers who can one-shot him, skipping his 'limitbreak'.

____

The above is just one example of how to use the calculations to your advantage and (theoretically) build a cheaty-face MU. As I said, I don't actually have the game yet, so this character design is just a theoretical build. However, if none of my other character concepts come to fruition, this one is. xD

modified: I almost had half a mind to give him red hair and call him 'Joshua', but that might have been a little too cheesy xD

Edited by Raine

Why wouldn't you just use focus for another + 10 crit when no allies are within three spaces. Then double with max skill sniper mu for probably 90 base crit. Not sure about the double bonuses.

Wouldn't the act of doubling negate the +10 while having no other units within 3 tiles gives? Besides, the max skill sniper wouldn't actually have any skills that would boost the primary unit's crit rate and would be pointless. The act of the sniper having a high crit rate wouldn't give the primary unit a better crit rate (or so I believe). The only thing I can think of would be if they had a support or something they could do. Nah, from this perspective I still like the idea of doubling with the tactician/dark mage with this unit.

Edited by Raine

No skill the stat. You can probably get a plus ten if he has max skill and more with limit breaker. And surprisingly no the focus skill does not count doubling as being within three spaces because I have had a sumia activate refresh with chrom doubled it has the same circumstances. So I experimented on that and you actually get a plus ten crit when doubled granted no other units are around you.

huh, so that would mean that while doubled you don't count as 'adjacent'. That flushes my solidarity plans down the tubes. Hmm... I still don't like the idea of focus simply because it restricts my planning and forces me to keep other units away from him. I'd rather take the skills I have... perhaps instead of doubling with the dark mage/tactician, I'll double with the sniper instead and have the dark mage follow up behind him.

Also, as far as the stat goes, a sniper's skill isn't all that different from a swordmaster's-- only a difference of 4, and in critical terms, that would translate to a +2 over a swordmaster. Even if you boosted with limitbreaker that would still only translate to a +7 over a non-limitbroken swordmaster. In the end, both classes would have around a 120-130 max even with the base crit you stated simply because the highest crit weapon an archer has is a +30 killer bow. In this case, there's really no difference between the two classes as far as criting goes and boils down more to 'do you want to be a ranged crit or a melee crit'.

Because of this choice, swordmaster is the only way to go~ I like being up close and personal to my kill-- not to mention if your sniper falls below half heath, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Raine

I am talking the double bonuses for the sword master I agree with your choice for class completely the point I was talking about is that you can change from a dark Mage to a sniper for a double bonus boost to increase the crit even more.

Well, in my Male Avatar file, I plan on reclassing to a magic unit, not sure if Dark Mage or Mage yet, and his Best Trait is Magic, and his Worst Trait is Strength. If that helps. 8U; I might have missed the entire point of your thread.

You should probably include the best skill set we can think of. But with just asset flaw take advantage of strong points like warior +strength and ignore weak points - resistance. Least that's what I would do for a warrior.

Yeah, I think that's a good way to start; what I wanted to do was pick the asset and flaw that would streamline and be perfect for a specific class. Like if you were building an Avatar specifically to be a certain class, which is exactly my intent. I'll probably play around with their skill sets in the future, but I was just interested in learning what asset and flaw will build the best hero, or the best swordmaster, or sorcerer, and so on until I have one of every class including the DLC bride and demonfighter.

The absolute BEST way to pick this is to know how the game itself uses each of the stats. I'm also creating an only MU army and I similarly had trouble picking what each of the MUs would get-- (I don't even have the game yet until like 10am today... I've had a LOT of time to plan this xD)

Anyway, the calculations are as follows:

Attack: Str/Mag + Weapon Might + Weapon Rank Bonus

Hit: Weapon Hit Rate + [(skill*3+luck)/2] + Weapon Rank Bonus

Critical: Weapon Critical + (skill/2)

avoid: (speed*3+luck)/2

Weapon Bonuses;;

Sword

c bonus-- power +1

b bonus-- power +2

a bonus-- power +3

Lance, Bow, Tome

c bonus-- power +1

b bonus-- power +1, hit +5

a bonus-- power +2, hit +5

Axe

c bonus-- hit +5

b bonus-- hit +10

a bonus-- hit +10, power +1

Staff

c bonus-- recovery +1

b bonus-- recovery +2

a bonus-- recovery +3

____

Because I'm a dirty cheater, I'm gonna make my very first character a swordmaster whose stats will look as follows:

Raine;; Swordmaster

+speed

-magic

Barbarian (10) Gamble-- hit-5, crit+10

Berserker (5) Wrath-- +20 crit when under 1/2 HP

[Assassin (15) Lethality-- instantly kills an enemy. (skill/4)%]

[Demon Hunter (15) Quickblade-- +10 strength on player's turn]

Myrmidon (10) Vantage-- When HP falls under 1/2, take the first attack during enemy's turn

Swordmaster (15) Sword Expert-- +5 strength when using a sword

the math;; With a max skill of 44, the highest crit stat I could have based on skill alone is 22-- when opposed by the opponent's luck stat (calculation method pending), this isn't a very high number. However, by taking the barbarian and berserker's skills, you can give him a max of 52-- and when paired with a dark mage/tactician with Anathema/Solidarity-- you can give him yet another 20 point boost giving him a flat rate of 72 to crit without even taking into account the weapon's crit rate... give him a Sol Katti and he'll have a crit rate of 122 striking first on the enemy's turn.

every--

single--

time.

While their strength isn't as pro as an assassin's, by giving him quickblade instead of going down the assassin route you can give him a +15 strength during your turn. With crits multiplying damage by three, you're essentially adding 45 damage to your attacks. The only thing I'd say with this character is to watch out for ranged attackers or attackers who can one-shot him, skipping his 'limitbreak'.

____

The above is just one example of how to use the calculations to your advantage and (theoretically) build a cheaty-face MU. As I said, I don't actually have the game yet, so this character design is just a theoretical build. However, if none of my other character concepts come to fruition, this one is. xD

modified: I almost had half a mind to give him red hair and call him 'Joshua', but that might have been a little too cheesy xD

Wow, you certainly put a lot of time and effort into this! I know the feeling of waiting for so long; my gamestop finally announced that my bundle was in today so I can finally play tonight!

So, from what I gathered (lots of math on the screen makes me dizzy lol), and putting skills aside (I'll play around with those in the future, for now I'm just interested in picking the asset/flaw), the best asset is the class's strength (like magic units should pick magic, speedy units should pick speed, and strong units pick strength) and the best flaw to pick is the stat they tend to use least? It makes sense, but I want to know that what I'm doing is right; this is my third playthrough that I'm planning, so I have time.....

yep, pretty much. I mean, there are 'useless' stats that you'll never pick for a strength-- like res (unless you're aiming for valkyrie) or def (unless you're a general), or HP (you know, I can't think of a class where that strength would be useful xD). In the end, each of the classes have their own strengths and weaknesses. I'm of the mindset that each of the class's strengths should be emphasized instead of trying to make up for their weaknesses.

Remember each person plays differently so do what feels natural. I have conformation on the focus skill. Miriel has 12 skill plus another 6 from doubled Rickey plus 30 from katarinas bolt for 39 crit. I had her attack Erika who had a luck of 11 and she had a battle crit rate of 38 so i think doubles don't count as being on the map anymore because they can't be attacked or healed and they don't register as any of the other thingys.

that's right, I forgot the skill boost from the double x.x

also, that math seems a little wonky-- unless the opponent's luck really doesn't effect the crit-rate avoid as much as I thought or Miriel's luck bonus basically cancled Erika's out...

Critical

= Weapon's Critical + (Skill / 2)

Critical avoid isn't on the calculation page yet but from just the game it is still just luck. So that means that 10 of Erika's crit avoid was cancelled out by something or Muriel's crit was increased by 10 so we can assume that the double system removes the unit from the map and only double specific skills will still acknowledge that the unit was deployed until they separate. It's weird.