Is Pairing Up a must for your battles?

Whirlpool531

So I just got to Chapter 10 on Hard/Classic with up to Paralogue 4 and it feels like I'm using Pair Up as a crutch of some kind. The one time I intentionally kept units seperate was Paralogue 4 since there were more enemies that needed to be dealt with than I could deal with if all were paired. I still kept a few like Miriel and Gaius paired with Kellam and Cordelia but the only ones who didn't pair were Chrom, Avatar, Sully, and Donnel. The first two because they've already promoted and the latter because of their high stats.

Aside from Gaius and Miriel though, I'm afraid of letting others like Panne and Gregor go into battle unpaired. Mainly because the enemies just started getting Steel weapons and without a buddy because they can't double or double with enough strength otherwise. So I'm wondering, should I be using Pair Up so much or am I just being paranoid? When have you been comfortable to keep people unpaired?

Its less about it making the game too easy and more I'm wondering if anyone else who plays Hard or Lunatic feels compelled to use it most of the time due to the dangers of leaving certain units un-buddied.

I'm at chapter 12 in Lunatic mode, so far I've found pairing up to be mandatory to keep my units alive as the enemies can kill most of your new recruits in one hit (and your trained units in 2-3 for the most part), and it really helps keeping resets to minimum.

I hardly ever NOT pair up my characters. I just enjoy it too much. Maybe it's a security blanket for me, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have an EXTREMELY hard time playing any other FE game because they lack this feature. Yeah, I suppose it does make the game a little too easy, but it is SO much fun, I swear.

I usually Pair Up when theres guys a little over my level that im facing. Or if im spamming for support/pairings. Of course, im rocking Normal Mode so a lot of times, Pair Up isnt necessary unless in paralogues with high leveled dudes or something.