Class change before Promote?

CinderSkye

Might just be me, but it feels like characters grow stronger, faster, if you use a Second Seal on them around 20 and then promote them via Master Seal after that.

If you class change rather than returning to your original class, you pick up 2 new skills pretty quick, and your effective level for XP appears to be calculated as lower, meaning you pick up stat-ups fast. Most of the characters I promoted first turned out pretty underwhelming for the first several levels of their promotion.

So far I've been very happy with preferencing Second Seal on the following:

Lucina (Archer --> Bow Knight)

Kjelle (Wyvern Rider --> Griffon Rider)

Ricken!Morgan (Dark Mage --> Sorcerer)

Cynthia (Knight --> General)

These characters turned out alright after Master Sealing them first:

Miriel (Sage)

Owain (Swordmaster)

Cherche (Griffon Rider)

Virion (Sniper)

Vaike (Hero)

Gregor (Hero)

Chrom (Great Lord)

Gaius (Assassin)

Tharja (Sorcerer)

Lon'qu (Swordmaster)

Sully (Paladin)

These characters underwhelmed me for a good while after promotion:

Sumia (Falcon Knight)

Cordelia (Dark Flier)

Kellam (General)

Ricken (Dark Knight)

Stahl (Paladin)

Mirabelle (War Cleric)

Lissa (Sage)

Not sure if this list will help anyone else. I definitely feel like the War Cleric, Dark Flier and Dark Knight in particular really need at least one reclass before entering because otherwise your mixed stats are so bad...

Pegasus Knights in general possibly, too. Falco Knights don't do enough different that they can't benefit from the extra stats (which you're unlikely to cap - my reclassed Grandmaster didn't cap out anything but Skill by level 12 of Pegasus Knight) and quicker XP gain.

Edited by CinderSkye

With my experiences, the characters I Second Sealed before Master Sealing them turned out growing extremely well.

Most of the units I've only Master Sealed have turned out well, but not as devastating as the ones I Second Sealed first.

The ones who didn't turn out so well, but still decent, after Master Sealing them were probably Maribelle (Valkyrie), Cordelia (Dark Flier), and Sumia (Falcoknight).

I'd say it really just depends on the class set of the characters, but it is probably generally better to use Second Seal before Master Seal.

I'd say it's probably only worth Master Sealing first if you really want to get the skills from the promoted class, such as with Tactician --> Grandmaster. And even then, s/he'll be underwhelming compared to a Second Sealed character.

It's situational. Different benefits from different class progressions.

Yeah seems to be.

Guys who got reclassed:

Virion (at level 15 archer) to Wyvern Rider. Promoted to Wyvern Lord. Oh hai, Haar 2.0!

Gregor (at level 10 merc) to Barbarian. Promoted to Zerker. Oh my god. <3

Morgan (at level 10 Archer) to Cav. Promoted to Paladin. (omfg....)

Frederick (at level 5 Great Knight) to Wyvern Rider.

Thats it really.