The Lunatic Club

Shinori

The bigger concern was why my unit with Sol (Vaike) was taking single digit damage in Ch. 20

Lunatic's difficulty is overstated in general. Why is Panne without Swordbreaker facing 0/0/0 against Yen'fay and one rounding him with a Bronze Lance, etc. It does require planning and smart Pair Up + exp allocation. So still fun, if not that tactically challenging like FE12.

Is it even possible to not have a character die in Classic in Lunatic(and Lunatic+)? The spawn locations sometimes already spells doom for some characters, i.e. Ricken and Maribelle's recruitment chapter, in which they are trapped on top of a ledge.

Very possible. For Ricken/Maribelle, have Miriel pair with Lissa to use the Rescue Staff from Paralogue 1 or kill the middle Myrm and take advantage of safe spots that appear. Can use Sumia to help ferry them down too.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lunatic+ sounds really sloppily done. From what I've heard, it's identical to lunatic in terms of raw stats, but all enemies have two broken skills arbitrarily slapped on them. It's kind of insulting that they'd make a mode so luck based that it's possible to lose every battle (when the player is not at fault) before it even starts.

Please say it ain't so! I hope they at least put in a modicum of effort to make the mode harder instead of just doing that.

Nope, it is exactly how you described it. Sorry!

Sol is just as broken as Nosferatu I have no idea why people single out Nosferatu as broken

I agree with him on this one. Sol is extremely broken and you don't hear people whining about that. If anything, it is even more stupid because it is luck based so you can just keep reloading until Sol soloes everything. Whereas with Nosferatu you are either strong enough to solo a map Nosferatanking or you aren't. It doesn't vary as much as Sol between resets. It's kinda like the Lunatic vs. Lunatic+ argument all over again.

I'm tackling Lunatic Casual right now. Anybody not getting ferried by Frederick shall be a worthy sacrifice to my ritual. Mwahahahahah!

EDIT: Is it even possible to not have a character die in Classic in Lunatic(and Lunatic+)? The spawn locations sometimes already spells doom for some characters, i.e. Ricken and Maribelle's recruitment chapter, in which they are trapped on top of a ledge.

Yep, it's possible. Although if you're doing a blind run with no resets (which would be suicidal on lunatic unless you grind), you are bound to get screwed over at some point.

Edited by Why so Sirius?

EDIT: Is it even possible to not have a character die in Classic in Lunatic(and Lunatic+)? The spawn locations sometimes already spells doom for some characters, i.e. Ricken and Maribelle's recruitment chapter, in which they are trapped on top of a ledge.

Rescue staff from Donny's chapter solves that problem easily. Even if you have a magic screwed Liz/Lissa, you can pair up with Miriel to get the rest of the needed Magic.

Imagine if counter could return the damage at any range like Ashera's aurora could. Just thinking of that makes me happy that it's not that awful. xP

Lunatic+ sounds really sloppily done. From what I've heard, it's identical to lunatic in terms of raw stats, but all enemies have two broken skills arbitrarily slapped on them. It's kind of insulting that they'd make a mode so luck based that it's possible to lose every battle (when the player is not at fault) before it even starts.

Please say it ain't so! I hope they at least put in a modicum of effort to make the mode harder instead of just doing that.

Ouch. You hit the nail, almost, the difference between Lunatic and Lunatic + shows up after chapter 22 or so, enemies have Capped stats, in Lunatic, as far as I remember, only Grima had capped stats.

But yes, those skills just make it annoying, 100% activation and the way they approach/spawn will make you luck dependant.

Sol and Nosferatanking are fairly unbalanced, I personally find Lon'qu to be absolute destruction when with Panne, he turns hit rates into absolute crap and with the double system with a Levin Sword he can suddenly seem invincible with how hard it is to hit him and how quickly Lon'qu can kill the enemies. I literally just practically solo'd Sidequest 13 (vs Red) with him with MU only taking care of 5 or 6 generals with Cherche. (BTW they got an S support so Morgan and Gerome here I come!) IMO he's the best non MU or Frederick unit in the game.

Also, Gerome's sidequest doesn't seem nearly as hard as people have put it up to be, it seems insanely hard but Lon'qu still doubles them all. I'll still be recruiting Morgan though for safety measures. Also Yarne inherited Strength +2 as well as Astra, Lon'qu got to level 20 and Panne promoted to a Wyvern Lord, though I don't think that matters.

Edited by Quick

Does anyone have any tips for making it through Chapter 5 on Lunatic? The problem isn't Ricken and Maribelle, I got the rescue staff from the Paralogue to save those two. My main issue is just the sheer number of enemies rushing down from the second cliff. The myrmadons double anything that isn't Sumia or with a speed support, the mages do huge damage to everything (meaning I can't let Frederick tank both of them at once), and the Wyvern knights get a sadistic joy from being able to attack anything I have on the field (which is a real problem, considering that the two of them alone can kill my unit without a good support.) I had an easy enough time with the game on hard (despite not using any dark mages or dark fliers), but this mode is just destroying me.

Does anyone have any tips for making it through Chapter 5 on Lunatic? The problem isn't Ricken and Maribelle, I got the rescue staff from the Paralogue to save those two. My main issue is just the sheer number of enemies rushing down from the second cliff. The myrmadons double anything that isn't Sumia or with a speed support, the mages do huge damage to everything (meaning I can't let Frederick tank both of them at once), and the Wyvern knights get a sadistic joy from being able to attack anything I have on the field (which is a real problem, considering that the two of them alone can kill my unit without a good support.) I had an easy enough time with the game on hard (despite not using any dark mages or dark fliers), but this mode is just destroying me.

Frederick with a good lance should be great to survive. Buy a Steel Lance from Spotpass and head upwards with Chrom. Use Miriel/MU and get the person with Lissa so Ricken and Maribelle can attack a Myrmidon and GTFO. Use Lon'qu to bait all the units on the left side and also use him to bait Wyvern Riders.

What about the mages? I'm not worried about Frederick surviving the physical attackers, with Kellam's help he takes only 6/8 damage from the axe users and 0/2 damage from the myrms (Double THAT, you stupid things!). My main worry is both mages attacking him in the same turn and doing upwards of 30 damage between the two of them.

Also, I'm planning not to use spotpass/DLC. Or skirmishes. Or Nosferatu/sol, after reading some of this thread. Yeah, I'm insane. :P

What about the mages? I'm not worried about Frederick surviving the physical attackers, with Kellam's help he takes only 6/8 damage from the axe users and 0/2 damage from the myrms (Double THAT, you stupid things!). My main worry is both mages attacking him in the same turn and doing upwards of 30 damage between the two of them.

Also, I'm planning not to use spotpass/DLC. Or skirmishes. Or Nosferatu/sol, after reading some of this thread. Yeah, I'm insane. :P

Use any lance, really. I think you will have an Iron one by then so use that. And one Mage at a time isn't even a problem, and Lon'qu/MU takes the one near your team and the fighters easily.

Frederick with Chrom is the best thing you can do to yourself. It's useful for most of the game and maybe even all of it.

Edited by Quick

If I remember correctly, I set up most of my strategy for the chapter with mages firmly in mind. I used the javelin from chapter 3 and positioned myself so that I took as few mages at once as possible while counterattacking them for a kill. I don't remember exactly where all of the mages were located, but I do remember killing at least the first one near the fort that way. (The one to the west was killed with my avatar using magic, though the very next turn he was reclassed into something that could no longer use magic.)

Edited by Mondoflow

Well, I THINK I've got a strategy that just might work. Rather than eliminate the bottom group of enemies and try to hold off the mid part with the mages, I've had quite a bit more success leaving Lon-qu or someone down to hold off the bottom group and send everyone else up immediately. Avatar with thunder and a speed support can double and kill wyvern riders, and Frederick can one-shot the blasted fire mage with his silver lance. With a bit of luck, I actually managed to survive turn 3 (which is actually a record after a dozen-some tries, sadly enough.) Of course, I didn't actually beat the chapter thanks to Lon-qu getting nailed by a 30% and 50% hit on the same enemy phase, but it's progress.

Also, when the mages are gone, Frederick + Kellam + Fort is pretty near invincible.

on turn 1 I like to have Fred and Kellam team up to OHKO the Myrm and then have Virion transfer Kellam, trade-equip Frederick an Iron Sword, and attack the Myrm. As a result of this, the Barbarian will die from Fred's enemy-phase counter, but more importantly, the Dark Mage will position himself 1D from the fort and attack Virion. On turn 2 (might be turn 1; I can't remember, but if Fred can't complete the KO on the Barbarian, then you ought to have Sumia pair with him on turn 1), I have Sumia pair up with Fred, who moves to the fort and KOs the Dark Mage. From there it's pretty easy, as Fred/Sumia can dodge the axe-users reliably while taking next to no damage from the sword-users. I've never actually had a problem with the Mages when doing this because of the Res and Avoid granted by both Sumia and the Fort.

Edited by Redwall

Wow, Lunatic sucked in early levels. Can't wait to see Lunatic+ when I finally complete this~

(giving Fredrick a bronze sword helped immensely to cut down the hit chance of those pesky axe weilders. The only thing I hated was that one wrong move on Lissa's part got her killed without so much as an whoopsy.)

Edited by Raine

Wow, Lunatic sucked in early levels. Can't wait to see Lunatic+ when I finally complete this~

Take everything you hated about early Lunatic, and throw in random skills to make your life difficult. That is Lunatic+.

the difference between Lunatic and Lunatic + shows up after chapter 22 or so, enemies have Capped stats, in Lunatic, as far as I remember, only Grima had capped stats.

Good to know there's at least one non-luck-based change in comparison to Lunatic.

Edited by Peppy

Good to know there's at least one non-luck-based change in comparison to Lunatic.

I'm still not doing it, not going to go through a playthrough based completely on luck just to get a minor greater non-luck based challenge. I honestly just want to finish my file ASAP to get my Lunatic run over with so I can go straight to postgame, and iirc Lunatic mode and Lunatic+ have the same DLC statistics.

I'm still not doing it, not going to go through a playthrough based completely on luck just to get a minor greater non-luck based challenge. I honestly just want to finish my file ASAP to get my Lunatic run over with so I can go straight to postgame, and iirc Lunatic mode and Lunatic+ have the same DLC statistics.

I plan to go through Lunatic+ just so i can experience how ridiculous it gets myself.

Also, to anybody who got to lategame in FE13 Lunatic+:

For any boss that has 5 skills occupied, do some of their existing skills get upgraded? (Say for example, Yen'fay's Vantage would be Vantage+ or Grima's Pavise would be Pavise+).

I'm curious about this since i notice some bosses who have less than 5 skills get two Lunatic+ Skills anyways.

I got kinda lucky for Ch.5 in that Frederick had exactly enough Javelin uses to take care of the dark mage on the first turn (4 uses, one each to take counter-attacks from the barbarian and the myrmidon on the enemy phase and 2 to double attack the dark mage). He couldn't quite ORKO him without Kellam getting a support strike, but fortunately, I was able to have Ricken finish the job in such a way that still allowed him to be rescued by Lissa immediately afterward. The fact that Chrom could ORKO the wyverns helped a lot, as did giving Ricken's Elwind to MU.

I managed to beat a skirmish between Paralogue 1 and Ch. 5 because a generic streetpass team appeared on the same node of the map, which gave me time to pick out packets of enemies while the streetpass units distracted/weakened them a bit. Even so, I had to be very careful because the enemies could easily flatten anybody not named Frederick if I gave them the chance (a bunch of high-level knights with silver lances/spears, with a peg. knight and a myrmidon with 21 Spd each thrown in for good measure)

Edited by Firefly

on turn 1 I like to have Fred and Kellam team up to OHKO the Myrm and then have Virion transfer Kellam, trade-equip Frederick an Iron Sword, and attack the Myrm. As a result of this, the Barbarian will die from Fred's enemy-phase counter, but more importantly, the Dark Mage will position himself 1D from the fort and attack Virion. On turn 2 (might be turn 1; I can't remember, but if Fred can't complete the KO on the Barbarian, then you ought to have Sumia pair with him on turn 1), I have Sumia pair up with Fred, who moves to the fort and KOs the Dark Mage. From there it's pretty easy, as Fred/Sumia can dodge the axe-users reliably while taking next to no damage from the sword-users. I've never actually had a problem with the Mages when doing this because of the Res and Avoid granted by both Sumia and the Fort.

If I can't duplicate what I pulled off earlier, I'm trying this, I never thought to use Virion to bait the dark mage out of his blasted fortress.

I think grinding actually makes Lunatic harder and more frustrating in Casual. The skirmishes are way, way harder than the chapters. Things are going downhill in terms of difficulty in midgame though, as I start using my DLC chapters to gain an unfair amount of advantage. Though the game just lend itself to get easier as you progress, which is counter intuitive.

I think grinding actually makes Lunatic harder and more frustrating in Casual. The skirmishes are way, way harder than the chapters. Things are going downhill in terms of difficulty in midgame though, as I start using my DLC chapters to gain an unfair amount of advantage. Though the game just lend itself to get easier as you progress, which is counter intuitive.

That's almost every FE game I have played, except HHM FE7 and MAYBE FE6. (I don't remember that much if anything of FE6 since I haven't played it in a long time but I will soon) Even some of the harder games like FE10 gets easier later on because the hard part is generally the fact that the enemies are super buff and you only have a few good units.

Also DLC makes this game super easy so I don't recommend it if you're just aiming for a challenge. The system is unbalanced and stuff like the vital double system and Rally Spectrum can make this game somewhat easy but it still is not a pushover. Though I still think FE13=FE10.

Edited by Quick

Okay for the past 2/3 days I have been unable to play chapter 18 because my luck sucks and chapter 16 has enemies in there that never decide to leave....

I only have one Second Seal now, so should I spend it on reclassing Lon'qu into an Assassin, (Being a level 20 Swordmaster sucks since it means you are wasting EXP every kill) or Olivia to re-reclass into a Dancer?

With Morgan on your team, the skirmish should be doable if you've got a lot of Rescue staves for guerrilla tactics. If you choose to avoid the skirmish, then you may as well use the Second Seal on Lon'qu to let him grow stronger.

Is Lon'qu viable on lunatic+? Or any other speedy character with less than stellar durability for that matter. It sounds like hawkeye makes all of the avoid+ skills useless too.

How prevalent is it?