The Lunatic Club

Shinori

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I have commenced my Journey into this (thus far) RNG reliant journey. When does everything stop being based on luck and I can start having units capable of doing things again? Hard might've been ridiculously easy, but at least I could rely on people to not die the second they engage an enemy. Currently still on the prologue. I technically beat it, but my +def/-skill MaMU gained 0 defence and 5 speed over the course of his levels, so I need to go around again so he can get some actual beef on him so I can have a front liner beyond Fred.

Tonight I have commenced my Journey into this (thus far) RNG reliant journey. When does everything stop being based on luck and I can start having units capable of doing things again? Hard might've been ridiculously easy, but at least I could rely on people to not die the second they engage an enemy. Currently still on the prologue. I technically beat it, but my +def/-skill MaMU gained 0 defence and 5 speed over the course of his levels, so I need to go around again so he can get some actual beef on him so I can have a front liner beyond Fred.

What's this Lunatic or Lunatic+? Because vanilla isn't even RNG reliant.

It is vanilla. and it IS RNG reliant when Fred starts consistently missing 75%+ chances hit hit...and when I have yet to see an enemy miss no matter how low their accuracy is (the lowest I've seen thus far is 49%...on my 11 speed WTA advantage MU in a FORT.) Seriously though, when does it get easier? People talk about the first few levels being the hardest in the game, I'm curious when it lets up and becomes a fun challenge instead of me restart spamming because Fred can't hit things.

Prologue is very easy to repeat. Just keep at it until you get an Avatar that you are satisfied with, and then there should be no more trouble going forward (because Avatar + Fred can roll everything from that point on). A few points of DEF and one +SPD level-up are all that are strictly needed, really.

The last legit difficult chapter in Lunatic is maybe Ch5; anything after that is probably a result of poor planning.

The only RNG-reliant part of the first 4 chapters is a rigged bronze sword miss of 36% for Fred on chapter 2 and a rigged 27% miss from the hammer bro. You can replicate 90-100% ( hindered by 0-5% percent crits and 80% hit rates) reliable strats on the first chapters.

Edited by 1% critted

The first time I went through vanilla Lunatic, the difficulty was very shocking, and I was one of the people who didn't train MU and did the first four chapters with Fred alone.

Now that I have completed Lunatic+, I can honestly say that I can't wait to go back to Lunatic difficulty for my optimal file.

You haven't seen Luck/RNG reliant until you've played Lunatic+.

Blah, I'm starting to consider forgetting about Lunatic for my min/max file. When do my other units get a chance to do anything beyond getting one rounded by everyone? Also, how many units should I even bother training up? I was thinking of getting Sully and Stahl a fair chunk of the experience in chapter 2 (Sully hasn't seen any combat yet) and letting Vaike, Virion and Miriel be left to the wayside. My only reasoning against this is that Miriel is really squishy (then again, so's everyone, so I'm not sure how much that's worth). God help me when Donneh comes along, I was planning on using the pothead this time around.

The most common approach to lunatic is female avatar paired with Chrom with the addittion of veteran Lucina and galeforce Morgan. You can use other units but is ussually no worth it and tbh instead of having more units to play around with as the game goes on a lot of them end up not being able to keep up stat wise (Frederick for example),

in fact, in my first run i tried to keep using Chrom because i always like to use the lord but in the end i said fuck it and used him as a support unit

The most common approach to lunatic is female avatar paired with Chrom with the addittion of veteran Lucina and galeforce Morgan. You can use other units but is ussually no worth it and tbh instead of having more units to play around with as the game goes on a lot of them end up not being able to keep up stat wise (Frederick for example),

in fact, in my first run i tried to keep using Chrom because i always like to use the lord but in the end i said fuck it and used him as a support unit

So the smart way through is to cheese it...so just go to hard if I want to play the actual game, play on Lunatic for nothing beyond bragging rights? Guess I'll rock through hard then. I'll do fewer skirmishes and hopefully that'll retain some of the challenge.

So the smart way through is to cheese it...so just go to hard if I want to play the actual game, play on Lunatic for nothing beyond bragging rights? Guess I'll rock through hard then. I'll do fewer skirmishes and hopefully that'll retain some of the challenge.

You can play Lunatic "normally", but it's a legitimate challenge if you aren't over-leveling Avatar or abusing Nosferatu or something.

You can play Lunatic "normally", but it's a legitimate challenge if you aren't over-leveling Avatar or abusing Nosferatu or something.

Guess it's not for me then. I find it less 'challenge' and more frustration. I can only watch so many 70-80%s miss and so many 50>% chances hit before I rage.

Guess it's not for me then. I find it less 'challenge' and more frustration. I can only watch so many 70-80%s miss and so many 50>% chances hit before I rage.

Like in any FE with hit rates? Except for the DS games because you can't dodge?

Edited by 1% critted

I started my first lunatic run yesterday. I'm currently on Chapter 4 and it's been going okay so far, but I can see where frustration could seep in. There have been so many points where I've had to pray an 80% hit lands or an enemy 5% crit doesn't go off.

However, those are reasonable RNG things to expect, especially with true hit jacking an 80% to like a 90%. I've yet to find it necessary to really rig the RNG, i.e. to make sure an enemy misses when they have a 70% hit chance or something. I'd hardly call that "RNG reliant".

Like in any FE with hit rates? Except for the DS games because you can't dodge?

I know it's just been a bad luck streak on my part, but the RNG has not been kind to me AT. ALL. when it comes to this Lunatic file. The only times I've gotten realy good RNG (like when Avatar got a +1 on every stat level up) something bad happens so the game can laugh at me about it (namely Chrom getting himself killed, or someone getting a lucky crit on Avatar). When I've played previous FE games (or on my Hard playthrough of Awakening) bad RNG could be compensated for. Here if I get one bad roll I basically lose the level. As much as I hate surrendering to the game, it's probably better for me in the long run to be a bit bored on hard mode and have room to mess around than it is for me to grind my teeth every time my units remind me that Fredrick and Avatar are the only things keeping the shepherds from falling apart.

I know it's just been a bad luck streak on my part, but the RNG has not been kind to me AT. ALL. when it comes to this Lunatic file. The only times I've gotten realy good RNG (like when Avatar got a +1 on every stat level up) something bad happens so the game can laugh at me about it (namely Chrom getting himself killed, or someone getting a lucky crit on Avatar). When I've played previous FE games (or on my Hard playthrough of Awakening) bad RNG could be compensated for. Here if I get one bad roll I basically lose the level. As much as I hate surrendering to the game, it's probably better for me in the long run to be a bit bored on hard mode and have room to mess around than it is for me to grind my teeth every time my units remind me that Fredrick and Avatar are the only things keeping the shepherds from falling apart.

Carry on then.

But not to make you feel bad or anything, but you just need better tactics. If you have to rely on a miss then something's wrong, the only time this is forced is on chapter 2.

Carry on then.

But not to make you feel bad or anything, but you just need better tactics. If you have to rely on a miss then something's wrong, the only time this is forced is on chapter 2.

which is exactly where I am. and you have that backwards. I'm not relying on a 50% miss and failing. I'm relying on a 70-80% to HIT and missing. sometimes I try to salvage it, and wind up missing AGAIN with those numbers, while the enemy continues to nail dem 50%s I hate luck, and she hates me.

which is exactly where I am. and you have that backwards. I'm not relying on a 50% miss and failing. I'm relying on a 70-80% to HIT and missing. sometimes I try to salvage it, and wind up missing AGAIN with those numbers, while the enemy continues to nail dem 50%s I hate luck, and she hates me.

Don't play FE6 then.

Honestly, you should check out Interceptor's Lunatic+ playlog.

It's quite helpful, and easy to follow.

If my memory serves me correctly, enemies don't all have Pass on vanilla Lunatic, so it is much easier to set up chokepoints and body block the enemy. Training squishy units like Miriel becomes much easier when the enemy can't get to her.

You can probably even train up Donnel the same way, just give him an Arms Scroll so he can sit behind and poke at things with Javelins.

That's all moot of course if I'm wrong and the enemies do get pass. At the very least they won't get Hawkeye, Luna+, Counter, or Vantage+.

Would I be able to get past Chapter 3 in Lunatic+ with my Lvl.3 Frederick, and my Lvl.8 (+Def, -Lck) Male MU?

Freddy's Stats:

Str: 14

Mag :2

Skill: 13

Spd: 11

Lck: 8

Def: 15

Res: 3

MU:

Str: 12

Mag: 7

Skill: 8

Spd: 9

Lck: 9

Def: 12

Res: 6

These were my stats at Ch. 3 in Lunatic+.

I'm pretty sure he is +Def/-Skl.

His stats are:

HP: 29

Str: 14

Mag: 11

Skill: 7

Spd: 11

Lck: 13

Def: 13

Res: 11

Your stats aren't that far off I suppose.

When I finally DID get through Ch. 3, I got through it extremely easily.

What will help the most is a major lack of Luna+. If you can get a majority of the map to spawn without Luna+ (especially the archers), then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

Chapter 2 is pretty bad, so I personally wouldn't recommend starting over to get better stats for MU, but if you can't seem to get through Ch. 3, then it wouldn't hurt to try.

Good luck!

Don't play FE6 then.

Actually, I've beaten FE6 (on normal, at least). I even did it with a Speed screwed Lilina and a strength screwed Sue paired with Roy. I'm just getting RNG screwed a LOT on this run so far. I suppose the main problem is that Awakening is actually the first FE I've played off of Normal mode (unless Lyn's route counts, although I don't think that actually affects the difficulty, just removes the tutorial.)

Honestly, you should check out Interceptor's Lunatic+ playlog.

It's quite helpful, and easy to follow.

If my memory serves me correctly, enemies don't all have Pass on vanilla Lunatic, so it is much easier to set up chokepoints and body block the enemy. Training squishy units like Miriel becomes much easier when the enemy can't get to her.

You can probably even train up Donnel the same way, just give him an Arms Scroll so he can sit behind and poke at things with Javelins.

That's all moot of course if I'm wrong and the enemies do get pass. At the very least they won't get Hawkeye, Luna+, Counter, or Vantage+.

I have been following it somewhat. I've been trying to limit my use of guides because I felt like that was basically pressing a cheat button, but I seem to be running out of options.

It all still comes down to whether or not the difficultly lets up at some point and lets me use my other units and play the game relatively normally/how I'm used to playing. Right now I get frustrated because if I don't move just so then I get screwed. Will my units ever become competitive with the enemy units if I don't just focus on Chrom/Avatar? (Obviously I'm used to designating a few key units and feeding them all the experience, but generally that spreads amongst 8-12 units by endgame, rather than 2) I'm worried that's not the case, since according to interceptor's guide he only uses 6 units apparently. I suppose I'll slug it out through Lunatic for a while longer, see if things let up somewhat at any point. Hopefully things will pick up.

And I will never touch Lunatic+. I've learned by now that the longevity of my 3DS depends on that door remaining forever closed