"But the odds were in your favor!!"

BlueLeafeon

Topic title is a reference to an awkward zombie comic.

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to make a topic where people can post their against-the-odds experiences.

For example, yesterday on chapter 20, a random mage pulled off a 2% crit and killed Gaius. >>

And the first time I played chapter 22, Flavia pulled a Sol every time her HP got low. Every time.

Edited by MagicLeafy

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to make a topic where people can post their against-the-odds experiences.

For example, yesterday on chapter 20, a random mage pulled off a 2% crit and killed Gaius. >>

And the first time I played chapter 22, Flavia pulled a Sol every time her HP got low. Every time.

First Playthrough vs. Final Boss. I two-man rushed it with an underleveled Chrom and an overleveled Avatar. Second turn in, if I get hit by Grima again, I will die, but Chrom is doing single digit damage and the Avatar is barely doing double digit. More than half-health remains.

I use Celica's Gale and pray.

Ignis, crit, dual attack crit.

repeat x3. Not every hit was a crit, but most of them were.

Gerome has bowbreaker and he's a Griffon Knight. He goes paired up into a challenge map to build up support (no other units besides him and the unit he's paired with) and he's mopping up... Down to half-health, but doing cool. This bow will only do like 10 damage if it hits, and it's got a 12% chance to hit, 3% chance to crit.

Guess what it does?

Well... I remember that comic pretty much said "you got screwed by the RNG":

I got horrendously screwed. I was defeated before I even started the chapter:

That image broke the forum posts in my resolution LOL.

Anyway, Ouch. Lunatic mode, I presume?

Is this a Hunger Games reference???

"And may the odds be ever in you favor."

I dunno, it could have been. But I was really just referencing this comic, which is ironically about FE. http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=072312

That image broke the forum posts in my resolution LOL.

Anyway, Ouch. Lunatic mode, I presume?

I apologize. Spoilered.

Lunatic+ enemies get random skills each time you start a chapter.

In this case, Frederick had "Dead" written all over him.

Final boss, lunatic mode. If I didn't kill the boss on this turn, I'd definitely lose like, every unit on the map. I attacked with Vaike and someone else paired up with him but despite all his awesomeness he wasn't able to do much. Neither was my Xane pair (and my Xane pair is OP as heck lol). Finally, I attacked with my last chance, my Chrom pair... and I used the Exalted Falchion, because while its hit rate wasn't amazing, it had the best chance otherwise. The first attack hit, but my ally (idr who it was) didn't dual attack... it looked to be the end when the final boss countered, but then Chrom was like

"ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!"

and he activated Aether and shat on the boss for good

and then I screamed like a little kid because I finally beat Lunatic-Classic mode XD

It happens on Hard, too, in the later missions - it caught me off-guard when I ran into Swordbreaker Wyvern Lords and Counter Griffon Riders in Tiki's Paralogue, so I restarted and they were replaced with... Relief Falcon Knight. So dangerous?

I have had a completely awful amount of low% crits on me in this game

Up till I would estimate around Chapter 12 I would guess the enemies had more critical hits against me than I had gotten (then s ranks became ridiculous)

Also the random skill distribution is terrible and skills should have been given to enemies manually. If I die to a well-placed Counter Warrior, for example, that's my fault, but when it's because a random Warrior has Counter that's poor design

Edited by Liquid Snake

It happens on Hard, too, in the later missions - it caught me off-guard when I ran into Swordbreaker Wyvern Lords and Counter Griffon Riders in Tiki's Paralogue, so I restarted and they were replaced with... Relief Falcon Knight. So dangerous?

Well the enemies which have their class skills are randomized moreso than Normal Mode (later skirmishes had them).

But man... COUNTER Griffon Riders? Geez. That almost sounded like Lunatic+ on Chapter 3.

Final boss, lunatic mode. If I didn't kill the boss on this turn, I'd definitely lose like, every unit on the map. I attacked with Vaike and someone else paired up with him but despite all his awesomeness he wasn't able to do much. Neither was my Xane pair (and my Xane pair is OP as heck lol). Finally, I attacked with my last chance, my Chrom pair... and I used the Exalted Falchion, because while its hit rate wasn't amazing, it had the best chance otherwise. The first attack hit, but my ally (idr who it was) didn't dual attack... it looked to be the end when the final boss countered, but then Chrom was like

"ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!"

and he activated Aether and shat on the boss for good

and then I screamed like a little kid because I finally beat Lunatic-Classic mode XD

lol That reminds me of my last file. XD Chrom was fighting Aversa in chapter 21, and after having the conversation with her, he pulls off an Aether with the same line. So it was like he was cementing his words with the battle quote. XD

I entered the topic because of the awkward zombie reference

>.>

XD Awesome.

Also, I love how whenever an attack is going to kill a unit, if it has 20+ chance of hitting, it will always hit. Maybe other people haven't gotten this, but the RNG always works this way for me. <_<

Edited by MagicLeafy

Attack a Battle Cleric with 3 hp left with spotpass Eirika. Quick look at the battle stats, Eirika got 100% hit for 7 or 8 damage, so I engage without a second thought. The enemy activate miracle and critical (with less than 10%) the hell out of my poor Eirika.

When I summoned Jaffar I wanted to see if I could solo the level with Avatar paired with his wife. The non-Jaffar units were easy, but when Jaffar attacked, he got a lethality, and Cordelia guarded it! I didn't even know that was possible. Then he got another attack and... lethality -_-. Which missed! It was pretty awesome.

Same thing happened to me, really. I was playing Paralogue 10 the other day to get Severa after teaching Cordelia and Avatar (her father) the skills they needed to pass down to her (Ignis and Galeforce), and I made the mistake of taking Cherche into the map without her husband Gregor to support her. She got killed...rather horrendously, in fact. I ended up having Vaike to support her and I tried to get her to kill a Bow Assassin with a Short Axe on Cherche and a Brave Axe on Vaike...sounds stupid already, but they had a 69% chance to hit the enemy. Cherche missed her shot, and Vaike missed BOTH his hits, then the Assassin got a 1-up on Cherche with a 59% hit rate and killed her with a Silver Bow. And I had TWO ENEMIES LEFT, just that Assassin, and then the boss...I had to restart the entire chapter over. x_x

As far as Flavia pulling Sol on every hit, the same thing has happened with Inigo in my game. He's gone from a Level 20 Mercenary to a Level 20 Hero, and now he's a Level 10 Assassin. He's capped HP, Strength, Skill, Speed, and Luck, and is practically untouchable with the Armsthrift, Galeforce, Sol, Lethality, and Wrath (dunno what to replace this with yet) skills active. All his weapons persevere, and he activates Sol on almost every hit...and criticals on almost every other Sol attack. He gets to be really insane with Vaike as his father. Just...damn.

When I summoned Jaffar I wanted to see if I could solo the level with Avatar paired with his wife. The non-Jaffar units were easy, but when Jaffar attacked, he got a lethality, and Cordelia guarded it! I didn't even know that was possible. Then he got another attack and... lethality -_-. Which missed! It was pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_ZFOkthsU

Rey already confirmed that Lethality can be guarded and it can.

XD Awesome.

Also, I love how whenever an attack is going to kill a unit, if it has 20+ chance of hitting, it will always hit. Maybe other people haven't gotten this, but the RNG always works this way for me. <_<

ZOMG

comic259.png

The way the game does this is by using one of the numbers from the publisher of the PlayStation strategy RPG Tear Ring Saga. It ties the random numbers with the same one unless a different character initiates a move before your attacker does. The reason that your character often gets hit during the enemy phases around 20ish something chances is because the RNG actually uses the same number (it cannot change upon resetting either) until Player Phase. As you need to make a move with another character to change the RNG odds. Often if you miss with a 80% something chance it'll return with a hit from the foe with the 20ish something chance.

In RD, the rng was seeded based on when you pressed start on the title screen. So every time you reset, regardless of whether you attacked from the same square or not, you would get the same results, unless of course you press start on the title screen on the exact same frame as before. This is why you generally get different results, but might start to notice some repeat levels after trying for a while.

This does not appear to be the case for awakening. An interesting experiment might be to see whether the arrow drawing algorithm affects the rng like it did in the gba games.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65315288?page=1

GameFAQS and Gamespot gave me these answers just now! The RNG does not change unless a different character moves on the Player Phase, or if a different character gets attacked during the Enemy Phase.

Edited by Katarina

Got critted twice on two separate occasions by a fighter on Paralogue 1 of Lunatic+ within 30 minutes of each other. The first time it had a 29% chance of hitting and a 7% crit and the second one had 100% hit and 7% crit. If the rng is calculated like it used to be, that means a 2% chance for the first one and a 7% for the second one. It really sucked because those were two of the times when I got reasonable skills.

The way the game does this is by using one of the numbers from the publisher of the PlayStation strategy RPG Tear Ring Saga. It ties the random numbers with the same one unless a different character initiates a move before your attacker does. The reason that your character often gets hit during the enemy phases around 20ish something chances is because the RNG actually uses the same number (it cannot change upon resetting either) until Player Phase. As you need to make a move with another character to change the RNG odds. Often if you miss with a 80% something chance it'll return with a hit from the foe with the 20ish something chance.

In RD, the rng was seeded based on when you pressed start on the title screen. So every time you reset, regardless of whether you attacked from the same square or not, you would get the same results, unless of course you press start on the title screen on the exact same frame as before. This is why you generally get different results, but might start to notice some repeat levels after trying for a while.

This does not appear to be the case for awakening. An interesting experiment might be to see whether the arrow drawing algorithm affects the rng like it did in the gba games.

http://www.gamefaqs....65315288?page=1

GameFAQS and Gamespot gave me these answers just now! The RNG does not change unless a different character moves on the Player Phase, or if a different character gets attacked during the Enemy Phase.

Wait, I know this was how the RNG in the GBA games worked, but is it true for RD and Awakening as well?

Edited by Why so Sirius?