When you read text in a video game do you read it in the characters' voice?

Gold Vanguard

Hmm... in Awakening, the little grunts and short phrases is actually kinda distracting and they often say different (but similar things) than the written dialogue. Kinda hard to gauge what I hear inside my head. In other games, no, because they never really have voice acting in the first place. And if they do, they have no text <_<

オリヴィエの声がかわいいですよね。

Yeah I pretty much imagine the voice inside my head. I mean come on, Sugita's voice for Chrom isn't that hard to imagine while reading the Japanese.

Older games that have zero voice acting are a little harder to imagine.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Hm...

No...

I just... read the text.

No tones, really. Maybe mine, but not other characters'.

But that's mostly because I never really played games with voice acting.

So that could change.

But I'm used to "just reading"... -_-'

^ Yeah, I'm the same. I don't hear character voices inside my head, just my own internal voice.

Same here. My voice is my own.

Yep. And if they're not already voice-acted, I assign them each an accent based on either where they come from or their appearance. For example, in my latest run of Sacred Stones, I gave most characters from Renais and Frelia various English accents; if they were from Grado they were Scottish; Colm, Neimi, Lute, Artur, and everyone from Jehanna were Irish, and characters from Rausten were French. The few Carcino characters were Italian. Interestingly, in FE12, I haven't given Kris my own voice. Instead I have him sounding like your typical young adult protagonist from every American bildungsroman film ever. :P

I do the same thing when I'm reading books. Maybe it's because I'm an aspiring novelist, but I need to get to know characters intimately, and giving them their own voices is one of the most important ways of doing that.

I've always read Volke's dialogue/text in Solid Snake's voice.

OH MY GOD! SO DO I!

Oh, and I always read the narration in every Fire Emblem game with the voice of whoever did it in Radiant Dawn. I try to imagine the same intonations and stuff. It makes the story infinitely cooler.

Edited by Murdok Dracul

I tend more to pay games without to mxuh story stfu and i oftem skip tsxta nd all that

Games like traume centrr manage to habe voice acting and te text so i listen to shm whilr readint kt

Hmm. I actually can't seem to do this without having to concentrate and recall a character's voice, which sort of breaks my attention on the text being read. So no, I don't really read text in a character's voice. I guess it's from years of growing up with games that had 0 voice acting ;;