Offensive name confusion

Cookies

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only possibility that comes to mind is that Violet bears a loose resemblance to violer, a (the?) French word for rape. That said, given that a) this is the American version of the game and not a European one, and b) "violet" is a common word free of rape-related connotation in both English and French (and that Nintendo had no problem with it at all when giving that name to a city in Pokémon), this is still incredibly silly.

That's the only reason my roommates and I can guess. Of course, according to an old Gamespot Harvest Moon board, Viol is a French word for rape, so that may play into it too.

Edit: Ninja'd on the French word for rape theory XD

Edited by Cookies

I didn't even know they censored Avatar names, do they censor Forges too?

Yes, they do. Anything with a number is automatically censored presumably due to the fact that people can try to use numbers to get around the censors. Like for example P3N1S.

I didn't even know they censored Avatar names, do they censor Forges too?

Yeah but its not overtly censored. It just says "This name contains possibly offensive terms and may not be visible to all users." and gives you the option to keep the name or not. As for "users", id imagine that means streetpass stuff.

I named a lance for Donnel, Pingas. That prompt above came up and i just freaking died laughing. (i was able to keep the name Pingas however.)

Edited by Virion

Suddenly I am tempted to, when I get my copy of the game, spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find as many filtered names as possible, just to see how many are as ridiculous as Violet. Hey, if someone was willing to do that for Pokémon Gen 5, I may as well take the fall for FE13. :P

Actually, on that note, is it possible for someone to test some variants of Violet? Say, attempt to use "Viola", "Viole", "Viol" and maybe even "Violin", just to see what happens?

Edited by bookofholsety

For whatever reason the censor thinks it's inappropriate. I mean this happened with Cofagrigus in Pokémon. because Cofagrigus has the letters F, A, and G one after another, the censor prevented it from being able to be traded on Wi-Fi without nicknaming it something else.

Yeah but its not overtly censored. It just says "This name contains possibly offensive terms and may not be visible to all users." and gives you the option to keep the name or not. As for "users", id imagine that means streetpass stuff.

I named a lance for Donnel, Pingas. That prompt above came up and i just freaking died laughing. (i was able to keep the name Pingas however.)

I can see a phallic reference in that name... >_>

Apparently, Killing Edge being forged and being left as Killing Edge is also offensive to Nintendo... that is if you try to name it, realize you don't want to, press Ok, and then it gives you the message.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Suddenly I am tempted to, when I get my copy of the game, spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find as many filtered names as possible, just to see how many are as ridiculous as Violet. Hey, if someone was willing to do that for Pokémon Gen 5, I may as well take the fall for FE13. :P

Actually, on that note, is it possible for someone to test some variants of Violet? Say, attempt to use "Viola", "Viole", "Viol" and maybe even "Violin", just to see what happens?

Nothig beats not being able to trade a Cofagrigus or Noespass without a nickname. Genius.

I think the list of restricted text is the same across different games and the 3DS menu itself. I remember being blocked by the 3DS menu for something rather innocent, though I forgot what exactly did I enter.

Clbuttic question: is "grape" allowed?