Monitor buying time~

Esau of Isaac

As the topic title says, I'm currently in the market for a new monitor, being that I'm tired of using my television as a stand-in. I really want to get the best monitor possible that will last me awhile. I suppose I'm looking for something at least 1080p, 1920x1080, at least 25", with a nice response time and refresh rate. Using Newegg the best I could get narrowed down was this one, but I was wondering whether any of you that are savvy in this department could give me any recommendations for something better, if it's out there.

I really just want to upgrade for gaming and general entertainment purposes. I want to get the overall best picture I can get for the best bang in my buck. I'd be willing to go pretty high in price, but anything over $500-600 is too blue for my blood.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're still looking for one I can offer some advice.

I'd recommend against 1920x1080 at 27", the pixel density is too low and it really doesn't look nice. Try for 2560x1440 at that size.

Response time and refresh rate mean close to nothing on a modern screen, specs blatently lie and there's no standardised testing. Any blur will come from the internals themselves and manufacturers will never list how they're configured.

If you're looking to get a quality screen you'll want to get one with an IPS panel. They have much, much better colour reproduction and can be viewed from any angle without distortion. They used to be prohibitively expensive if you weren't into graphic design or similar, but they've come down dramatically over the past few years to the point where the only reason not to buy one is naïvety.

The Dell Ultrasharps are some of the best quality screens available at the moment and pretty well priced considering their customer service and warranty. I'd reccomend the U2312hm (1920x1080, 23"), U2412m (1920x1200, 24") or U2713 (2560x1440, 27") if your budget will stretch that far. If you wait for a sale on the Dell website you can get them 30% off too.

Edited by Catss

The Dell Ultrasharps are some of the best quality screens available at the moment and pretty well priced considering their customer service and warranty. I'd reccomend the U2312hm (1920x1080, 23"), U2412m (1920x1200, 24") or U2713 (2560x1440, 27") if your budget will stretch that far. If you wait for a sale on the Dell website you can get them 30% off too.

I wouldn't recommend any of those monitors due to the LED backlights that they use; it's difficult to get accurate colors with LEDs. One of the main points for IPS (as well as VA and PLS) panels is color accuracy, and LED backlights conflict on that. The older Dell U2410, U2711, and the U3011 (the latter two are pricey) are better choices because since they use CCFL backlights instead of LEDs.

Edited by BLS

I wouldn't recommend any of those monitors due to the LED backlights that they use; it's difficult to get accurate colors with LEDs. One of the main points for IPS (as well as VA and PLS) panels is color accuracy, and LED backlights conflict on that.

CCFL isn't perfect either, it's slightly warm while LED is a touch cold. Better, but not perfect. However LED draws far less power, generates less heat and doesn't need to warm up.

I have both a u2412 and u2410 and honestly think the '12 is better for everyday use of the average comsumer who wants to play games, watch films and do general computing things on the same screen. The '10 obviously still reigns supreme when it comes to absolute accuracy however.

You guys were too ultra-slow, I ended up buying this one. Like two weeks ago. >__>

I would not have gotten a wide-gambut screen unless you needed it, but otherwise it's an excellent choice.

Edited by Catss

A wide gamut monitor can display a wider range of colors than a "normal" gamut monitor. The more technically correct term is wide color gamut monitor, but when you mention gamut, the term color is implied.

It does seem to be a "kickass monitor thingamajig", indeed.

He just meant you probably won't need it.

Edited by OldMan

I don't even know what wide-gambut is, but I hope it means "kickass monitor thingamajig" because four hundo isn't a small amount of scratch to me.

It can display 1.04 billion colours rather than the current standard of 16.7 million. It's one of those things that sounds good on paper, but you'll be hard pressed to find any use unless you're seriously into graphic design.