Japenese or English voices

Aethern

Japanese or English voices?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What voices do/will you use?

I've only played with english voices so far......but I really, really want to try playing with japanese voices. But every time I decide to, I just can't play without hearing Matthew Mercer's voice (don't get me wrong, I love Sugita too, but it makes a big difference in voice work to me when I don't have to look at subs to understand what they're saying, especially when it comes to my hubby). I do personally think that the English voicework is superlative compared to what it has been in the past and what it could have been, so I just can't get enough of it. XD

I will say however that I might prefer Tiki's japanese voice, if only because its Ikue Otani/Pikachu!

Edited by Silver Lightning

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Japanese voices

... Comment overly simple xD

PD:I'm not very good with English

At first, I also didn't really know if I would be able to work with it, but Xenoblade helped me manage that better. I always play Xenoblade with Japanese voices now (unless I want to hear Reyn's hilarious dialogue). I'd do the same with this game, but I much enjoy Owain's English VA.

hold up

thinks Dunban's English VA isn't good enough?

blasphemy

also Chrom is more bro in the English version

I'll take the language I can understand, and especially with Olivia and Sumia, I'll pass up on the ear-splitting falsetto.

I hate japanese voice acting especially with female characters. They always sound really whiny and annoying. I know this is the "trend", but I can't stand it.

D8 IIRC, the only girls with "whiny-sounding" (aka high-pitched and cute) voices are Olivia, Sumia, Nowi, and Cynthia. Other women sound more "mature" I guess, and you even have Bokukko Soiree. You couldn't accuse JP!Miriel or JP!Lucina of being "whiny and annoying".

I use English voices. I tried Japanese for like a minute, then switched back, so I still don't really know what I like better. English VA is pretty good, so w/e.

Also in Japanese, Chrom is Lissa's son, and thats pretty amazing

wat

I liked the English voice acting so much that I didn't even bother with the Japanese voices. Not even out of curiosity.

Yes. :):

I don't speak Japanese. Why would I use Japanese voices?

This too.

hold up

thinks Dunban's English VA isn't good enough?

blasphemy

also Chrom is more bro in the English version

No lie, right?

I always play Xenoblade with Japanese voices now

8EjOE.gif

I just...cant.

I...

|:[

English here. I like having voice acting (especially decent to very good voice acting) being in my native language.

English VAs for this game was pretty good, but honestly, I found the English ones to be more 'whiny' or 'annoying' sounding than the Japanese lol. I have NO clue why people think Olivia's JP voice was whiny. I found it perfectly normal. Maybe 'cause I'm more used to listening to it. Er, though I guess I can't say I remember how her English VA sounds. I think I found Lissa's English voice annoying though.

I might not understand everything that's being said in Japanese, but at least for cutscenes, there's always subtitles. Though I don't think the subtitles always go with what's being said... especially the very first scene/dialogue Lissa says when finding you asleep. That'll always bother me. And I guess not just the cutscenes, but still, it sounds better to my ears lol.

I also don't mind switching the language options each time I boot up/reset. Just to hear the less squeaky/squeal-y voices.

Edited by Cordelia

English, for a few reasons.

1. I don't understand Japanese.

2. Japanese female voice acting tends to be rather... unrealistically, obscenely high pitched.

3. I guess there's a bug with Japanese voices or something? Never cared to find out.

4. It's a game with characters who predominantly have European based names, predominantly European looks, and predominantly European culture. So it just makes sense for them to speak a European language. I'd even take Greek over Japanese, and I don't understand Greek, either. If they were to make a FE game that takes place entirely in Chon'Sin or something, then I'd be more open to Japanese voices. I'd still probably go with English, though, for the other 3 reasons.

Edited by Crixler

I use the English voices. I guess a lot of people say they generally don't fit as well with the characters, but I feel the opposite. For example, I think Thaja's English voice acting is a much better fit than her Japanese voice, as are Ricken's, Cherche's, and Henry's (just off the top of my head). There are a couple that I like equally, like Sully's and Kjelle's. But I can't say I prefer any of the Japanese voices... the closest would be Kjelle and maybe Inigo for the cuteness of 恥ずかしい :P (for the record I would say the same of Olivia if it was just one or two decibels lower ._.)

Also, Chrom's Japanese laugh annoys me >_> Don't hurt me!

I play with the japanese voices, but in english is very good too, actually I love Yarne and Gerome english voices, but I play with the japanese ones because of Hosoya Yoshimasa and then I can fantasize with MMorgan saying "Aah Ecstasy!" Lol

I'd take any half decent English dub over the best of Japanese dubs, and since Awakening's English dub is stellar...

Also I sometimes use headphones, so I would rather not have my ears be raped by Sumia and Olivia's obscenely high pitched Japanese voices, as I use both of them.

I switch between the two, but I play my game predominantly in English. I tried to keep it Japanese for my second playthrough, but it didn't last long--I didn't want to keep switching the language back after each boot. The Japanese tracks seem to be quieter than the English, too; I usually have to muffle the BGM/SFX further to make out what people are saying. @__@

I do like hearing the differences, but I haven't gotten used to units shouting デュアルアタック! (dual attack!). XD;

wat

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Lissa = Lisa Lisa because name.

Chrom = voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

Sugita voiced Joseph Joestar.

Spoiler:

Lisa Lisa is Jojo's mom.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by the poll or the responses of the "Japanese voices are too high pitched."

I'd imagine, people would usually prefer hearing voices *IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE*.

I mean, I've never even heard of a Japanese Blazblue player intentionally setting their own console voice acting language to English, despite it being there.

It's a preference. That's all it is.

People get too offended by subjects like this... and leads to "dub vs. sub" flame wars. I just don't get it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I play with Japanese voices on every once in a while just out of curiosity, but I prefer the language I can understand.