Return of the Emblem Chapter Eleven: Unleash

Phoenix

"Aye," Pete replied, his frown easing up. "Always hope fer that." Maybe they'd find a job with this group, if Lumi was right. Better than heading out to port, anyways.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Because she feels like it's her job to die for me if that's what is needed, if something like that just happened it might not be so bad. If it's just an acceptable thing simple as that though? Totally unacceptable."

Giving a sigh Zach looked up at the sky "Besides, I really doubt I'd be missed all that much if something happened. I've got what, maybe four friends in the entire world? You, Blake, Marella, and Aneda. People that don't like me, or even outright hate me on the other hand is pretty high."

*Shrug*

"Raquel just thinks of me as another hand that can be used to kill. Only reason I even stuck around after all of this is because she helped me with Lia, so I figure I owe repayment."

Edited by Eail

"The world is full of underhanded people," Norbert replied to that with a shrug, though he also frowned at it, "I never expect anything else until someone proves to me that they're not." There was more to that conversation, but that wasn't why he'd come. Norbert figured after he asked his question they could return to that topic if Aneda wanted to.

"Anyway, Luke's resting up so I'm watching Rika for him," Norbert replied, indicating the pegasus he was leading, "I thought she'd like to meet Hannah if she hasn't already. Thought maybe you wouldn't mind helping me keep an eye on her."

Dauntless: Exterior

"We're going to leave in a minute here, so can you make sure no one's just standing around? If they need a ride, they should either get in the Dauntless or ride with someone," Raquel replied to Faatina. Once that was said, she glanced over at Sandrock and Riley. They had certainly been through a lot today. And Chip ... oh gods, Chip was probably completely traumatized by this point. She quickly looked down into her bag to find the little capuchin sitting at the bottom with his gun out and ready to go. Oh man he's stinks. I've got to replace this bag, wash him thoroughly and make sure he's going to be alright. "Uh ... I'll be right back. I need to get a few things out of the Dauntless." And just like that, she was off, running over to the damaged vehicle.

"Get something to eat ...?" Shadrak echoed, becoming nervous all of a sudden. The mention alone brought up a fairly recent memory. This topic had definitely come up before and now he was in a tough spot. "It'd be pretty awful to cancel on Mushirah, you know? Let me ask her and see if she doesn't mind us making this a three person outing or something," he nervously explained. Around this time, Raquel came running past the both of them. Was the meeting over? He had to be sure. "Hey wait, Raquel!"

"Err-" she froze for a moment before standing up straight and facing the both of them. "W-what is it? We're getting ready to leave."

"Oh ... hmm. Never mind then. I want bother you, just please give me all the details, later? Please? That's all I'm asking ..." Shadrak pleaded, hanging his head down hopelessly afterward.

"... sure." His depressed looking request had her feeling guilty and she didn't even know what to feel guilty for at that point, other than neglecting Chip of course, but that was a different issue, and one she was quickly trying to address before they set out.

Aneda shrugged, "Sure, couldn't hurt for them to socialize. I just hope Hannah behaves herself. She was nipping at me to wake me up earlier today, the jerk!" Neigh. "Yeah yeah, rub it in. Hannah, this is Rika, you play nice now..." Neigh again, but this time Hannah was actually ok with her decision on the whole, looking Rika over with a little snort. "So uh, where's Rika's rider? Luke or whatever? He giving out Pegasi for free?"

Edited by ReformBlade

“Well maybe the attitude she has about it is unhealthy, but the sentiment isn’t… I think she needs more confidence in herself too,” Kat replied.

Then Zach started talking about how no one cared about him, which Kat was not particularly happy about. She hugged him, and though it was from an odd sideways position, it probably got the point across anyway. “I told you not to say things like that. Does it not matter to you if we’re sad? Fuck those other guys, you don’t live for people who hate you anyway. And don’t say that about Raquel, because I don’t think it’s true… I haven’t seen her treat anyone like that. Anyway, that doesn’t matter, because I’d be sad if you died, so don’t.”

'Hugging... this was... nice? People are strange... though I'm one to talk aren't I?'

Freezing up for a moment Zach then slowly patted Katrina on the shoulder. Hearing someone aside from himself saying 'FUCK THOSE GUYS' was a nice change of pace "Thanks Kat.... that means a lot coming from you. I.... think I'm just really confused right now about everything, especially whatever is going on between Mar and I."

_______

Rika neighed back a greeting to Hannah, but it didn't seem like this pegasus was too interested in talking. She seem to be more interested in communicating with her own rider

"Heh, as long as Hatsune doesn't complain about it, I won't either," Sinbad chuckled in reply to Synthia's comment that she didn't want to impose too long, and would switch back to her horse as soon as she felt up to it. "Leastaways now that you're awake, I reckon things'll go pretty smooth. Still, if ya do wanna get on your own gal after you've rested up a bit, ain't gonna stop you there neither."

The other horseman had seemed pretty familiar with the mage as well, as the casual way the red-haired man had made it sound like Synthia riding with him was a commonplace affair. This was on top of the friendly back and forth over the nature of the man downplaying his injuries from the fight with the swordmaster. Sinbad figured if the man was right enough to brush off whatever wounds he had left, either for pride's sake or whatever other reason, he'd certainly just let that be. However, the cowboy figured he at least oughta say a word or two by way of apology if he'd stepped out of bounds. "Guess you two are pretty close, huh? Always watchin' out for each other, or whatnot? Hope you weren't too worried looking out for her after I grabbed her from Reign and took off, but I didn't think just waiting around were the right call."

A frown slipped across his face and Sinbad added, "That reminds me, now that we're all gathered up, d'you see the ice magician, Grant? He make it out alright? Would really like ta know that before we finish this quick regrouping an' head on our way, so if you haven't seen him, maybe I oughta go ride over to that Dauntless thing proper, and start asking 'round."

Edited by Balcerzak

Mushirah was quickly looking for some sort of convenient water source, feeling a bit nervous of asking a random person for water but then an idea popped into her head. "There's probably some in the dauntless... another trip, yay." So, making another trip, she picked up some water (if that's an illegal action i can fucking fix it) and hurried back before she saw Tia again and decided, "Hey, Tia, maybe you can come help out Katrina? You're a water mage, maybe you can do a little something something? Ah! I've gotta get this to her! If you can come, please do, if not, it's alright." Hurrying back, Mushirah offered Katrina the water. "Sorry I'm late, I hope you're still doing fine enough."

Edited by ReformBlade

"..."

Mao was out of it. The moment she had woken up with a horrible headache, she knew that it was going to be a terrible day, but she had no idea just how terrible it ended up being. In the timespan of twelve hours, she had been subjected to a castle siege, poisoning, blunt trauma, magical assault, and god knows what else. Trying to recall the last fifteen or so minutes, her mind drew a blank. She remember listening in to a conversation, and and then a massive blast and fire mere meters away from her prone body. The next thing she knew, she was on Water again, with her traveling companions ahead of her. The Dauntless was smoldering a bit. She didn't know why, but she was deduced what she had assumed was a blast originated from there.

She checked herself to make sure she was alright. She patted her head, making sure her hat was still there. It was. She looked down at her body; her coat was intact, but had been slashed at left shoulder; her sword was at her side and bow and quiver slung over her shoulder. It seemed she had at somepoint gathered her belongings. Giving a pat on her coat pockets, the merchant confirmed her important journals were still there. She then gave a cursory glance towards Water; her trusted horse seemed to have gotten through the entire ordeal completely unscathed. All good. Gingerly reaching for her flask of now lukewarm tea, Mao held the flask up to her mouth for a prolonged sip. She needed it.

So, what was up? What was going to happen next? She would ask, but Mao wasn't up to doing much besides sitting on Water and looking shellshocked, so she did nothing else but that.

Scribbling away at her notes, Mireille could not help but keep peeking at the 'antics' the other occupiers of the Dauntless were up to. Particularly the whole sitting scenario, it was just too delicious to miss out. Calling upon forbidden imaginations inspired by some novels recommended by her highborn peers, Mireille flipped open another smaller book from her pouch, this one reserved for special plot scenes.

With great fervor, the Ursian knight began fantasizing her next few lines more than writing them.

"I can come." said Tia, keeping her answer short and simple. She still wasn't sure it was safe to enter the Dauntless, or that, if her books had been lasered, the group would do little more than shove it to the side in favor of the actually injured. Not that that was WRONG, just, if she had a problem it would help more to have people capable of being able to help instead of worrying. Anyways, this would be a good chance to try and make some friends, especially after Rook's... Rookishness.

Tia followed Mushirah over to Kat and the others, taking some time before trying to pull together some water. "What seems to be the nature of the medical emergency? And I don't mean the obvious answer. What has happened and what have you tried?" she hadn't read medical books too much and she was certain they needed a proper staff-user instead of her, but she could at least try. Some stimulant-water could certainly help Kat keep it together, but she'd need the right stim.

---

"Okay. We... can see." said Robin before Shadrak rushed off. She had been hoping to get some time alone with Shadrak instead of having to share, but it should matter more that she was spending any time with him, right? Still, she was feeling a little bit better now. That was a big step up. She'd need her armor though if she didn't want to end up dying.

"No, no," Norbert amended. Maybe just mentioning he was resting wasn't clear enough. "He wasn't looking so good. Looked like he was about to fall over, actually. I'm just watching Rika until he's well enough to take care of her himself again."

He was a tad amused by Aneda's report that Hannah had been biting her that morning, though. "I don't know how well-behaved Rika is but she hasn't given me any trouble so far. Rizen normally does just about whatever she likes... She does listen to me, though, most of the time."

Speaking of the pegasi, Rizen greeted Hannah and decided to start a general line of conversation pitched at both the other pegasi, asking what the two's previous herds had been like.

Lumi grinned. "Exactly! Though..." She frowned slightly. "They looked like they'd been in a battle recently, so maybe they fight with their pegasi. Their wagon looked like it was the cause of the fire before and it looked like they were healing some of the people in their group. Maybe they were ambushed by bandits?"

“Sounds like a plan, then,” Synthia replied. If they were traveling until nightfall it wouldn’t do to tire Hatsune out, so switching horses was as much for the horse’s sake as it was for her pride, she figured. Then Sinbad asked another question, to which she shrugged and gave a somewhat guarded answer. “I guess you could say that.”

Valter looked from Synthia back to Sinbad. He was not going to touch that right now, sometimes he was pretty sure she didn’t really want him around. “Oh, well, I was actually going to thank you for that. I can’t be everywhere at once, unfortunately.” There had been more than one victim of his negligence today, and at least the other horseman had prevented there from being another. “About Grant, though, I saw him earlier helping to put out the wagon fire. He’s probably in it now.”

---

Kat pulled back from the hug a bit, aiming for a better angle to talk from. “I’m sure you two will work out whatever it is,” she reassured. When Mushirah arrived, Kat turned to lean against Volga again and, taking the offered water, gulped it all down fairly quickly. “Mmm~ Thanks, Mushirah. Um, who is this?” she asked, referring to Tia. “I already took the antitoxin, I don’t really think there’s an emergency here…”

"My name is Tia! I joined you guys a short while back when one of you ruined my books so I could get them repaired. I was the one who convinced Gytha to bring the Dauntless in to help you guys as well as provided that bolstering mist last battle. I'm new here and I'm trying to make friends. Robin seems to like me, as does Mao and a few others, but Rook seems to hate me for using books and magic."

"I um... Oh?" It now occurred to Mushirah that perhaps she may have been a bit over zealous. "Er, sorry, I just wanted to... make sure. I think we're gonna be heading off again real soon, I just wanted to err on the side of caution instead of waiting until it's too late..." Her being flustered was quickly shoved aside at Tia's mention of someone hating books and magic. The former seemed ludicrous though the latter seemed very much plausible to her, if only because of having gone through some tough training of her own despite being family. "Rook, you said? He's an older man, maybe... something happened to him back in the day? Something magic related, anyway, but um, I'd hope he doesn't hate another person just for using magic or reading books, that'd be a bit out there, I think." She shrugged, wondering what she could do before asking, "Can I ride with you again, Katrina?"

"Seemed unwell, eh? Well rest'll fix that." Aneda was only really mildly interested in how well Rika was acting, noting that if any of the animals around her were to go crazy, it's still the wyverns she'd fear the most. "Yeeeeah, Hannah's roughly the same way but she's a good girl at heart. We've been through some really tough scraps together, and no matter how either of us feels, we're there for each other." Unlike some people I know... She thought, not really directing it at any one person "She's my rock, if any exist for me in this world."

Hannah was unsure of the question and gave the equivalent of a shrug, whatever the heck that would be on a horse. She didn't really care to think of much before working with Aneda for so long and tried to convey that in the nicest way possible.

"Sometimes you can't help but fight, Lumi. Those pegasus riders might've been in a bad situation. Though, you'd think bandits would leave the wagon alone," Pete said, as he began to walk. "Right, well I guess if we're lucky, we'll see them tonight."

Dauntless: Interior

Reign was surprised to see Raquel come running into the Dauntless clutching her bag. Wasn't she supposed to be driving? What'd she need in here that she didn't have before? For the moment, he just watched, figuring those questions would answer themselves in a moment or two. She found some room and set the bag down on a slightly charred crate lid before carefully reaching in and pulling Chip out of it. His fur looked pretty rustled from where Reign was standing. Next, Raquel quickly wrestled the capuchin's firearm away and placed it just out of reach. When Chip tried to go over and grab it, she grabbed him and set him back down beside the bag, causing him to shriek in protest. Raquel immediately said, "No!" back at him and kept him in place with one hand while using the other to reach around for a few things.

That was when Reign realized what she was doing. "Isn't this an odd time to be bathing Chip? How long is that going to take?"

"It's fine, someone else can drive," she immediately said back before literally handwaving the issue. "Chip just went through as big an ordeal as I did and I didn't even realize it until now. My father usually takes care of this, but now I have to do it. I need to take care of all of our family's animals now, not just Sandrock and Riley."

"Fair enough, but be careful over here. Ayano's sitting by that little door," Reign warned. "Want help?"

"Aya--? ... oh." She noticed Reign was pointing toward 'nothing' and realized who he meant. "Yeah, go and tell them someone else can drive the Dauntless for now, and then get me my canteen. There should be enough in there for this."

"Alright." I'd ... almost forgotten that she's actually a decent leader when there's no serious danger. It's a shame that won't help us ... at all really. Reign then left the Dauntless while Raquel set a relatively clean rag beside Chip, which the little capuchin immediately grabbed and began wiping his forehead with.

Raquel meanwhile found herself constantly glancing over at the small door where this Ayano woman supposedly was. Ayano was staring right back but never broke away to attend to anything else.

Dauntless: Exterior

Once outside the Dauntless, Reign began looking around, checking on the state of things. They weren't fully organized at the moment, but when was the group ever fully organized, period? They could head out at any time really, people would just need to funnel into the Dauntless if they didn't have a ride and then they would be off. Approaching Veronika, he said, "Hey, Raquel's ... dealing with something right now, so if you don't mind assigning someone else to drive the Dauntless for the time being. Raquel can take over a little later. Sorry, I ... don't have any recommendations, there."

Shadrak meanwhile gave the area a good scan himself, this time to find Mushirah. She was still over by Katrina and the largest wyvern he'd ever seen or ridden on--given name, Volga. He still felt nervous and now a little awkward, but motioned for Robin to follow as he ventured over. He'd have to tune out a few things though in order to get this part over with, mainly whatever they were talking about with Zachary. "H-hey, Mushirah ...? I know we're getting ready to head out, so this isn't the best time to bring it up again, but on the bright side, it's at least some food for thought on the road. I was wondering if you minded Robin having lunch--or whichever meal of the day it was--with us?" He couldn't make eye contact while asking and wasn't sure why.

"I can relate to that," Norbert replied with a nod and half a smile, "Rizen was my only companion for three years. I'd get into dangerous situation after dangerous situation and every time she pulled through for me. To be honest, though, she's still a wild pegasus. I never made any attempt to actually 'train' her. She does know how to work with me as a rider and mount, though. We learned that much."

Rizen gave Hannah a sign she understood and wouldn't push the question, instead going into her own, short story, explaining that she came from the mountains, where she met her rider, and that she grew up in a large herd. She then explained that male humans were rare where she came from, so she felt very lucky to have chosen her rider before some other pegasus did.

Veronika

"All right will do," she replied to Reign. At least that's something we can take off her shoulders. she thought to herself, going inside and locating Gytha, who was near her cat.

"Would you mind driving the Dauntless for today Gytha? We'll probably need to stop at nightfall, but we can make good progress towards Europa if we get moving," she said to the woman.

Gytha had overheard Raquel mentioning she needed someone else to drive for the time being, but the obvious choice was Veronika or someone else, so she'd just stayed silent. The mariner had her doubts that she'd be trusted with something as important as driving the wagon. Her stomach was feeling significantly better, but she was still down. Then, she heard Veronika's voice. The request was so unexpected that at first it was all Gytha could do to sit up. As Maw successfully secured her position where Gytha's head once was on her bag, a smile began to grow on the mariner's face. She could hardly believe this sign of trust!

"Aye, aye, Ma'am!" Gytha nearly laughed as she sprung to her feet and gave Veronika a hasty salute before dashing out of the wagon and hurrying to the driver's seat. I was so worried! I'm so glad they don't want t' desert me! Aye, I was right t' trust this lot! They're th' sort I can trust! I'd even understand if they just let me go, but even now they're standin' by me! Praise Leviathan!

It was only a moment after she sat down that Gytha got the wagon moving again. Though she was still learning the specifics, she understood how to make it go forward, how to turn and how to stop. Her exuberance coupled with the command to go resulted in a bit of a faster speed than she'd expected, but she herself didn't see anything wrong with that. As far as she could tell, she was doing pretty well. It'll be fun t' drive with Raquel 'r Synthia b'side me sometime! Heharr! I'll have t' r'quest that at some point!

"I really hope so Kat.... I really hope so." The sage muttered in response to his green haired friend. Having support like her around made things bearable, he should really try to sit down and talk to Blake some time soon as well.

Seems like they had company again though, it was that girl now with Mushirah, talking about Rook no less. "You sure it's not just you he doesn't like? I do the same things and we've been pretty friendly with each other. Or maybe he just has a problem with kids, not sure." Zach admitted with a shrug.

A few familiar sounds were starting up though, something like the Dauntless warming up? They couldn't be leaving already could they, some people were still injured, fatigue, and moral was low. If anything he'd expected Veronika to do some talking, if not Raquel herself.

The wagon however was moving already, fast at that, much faster than Raquel would be driving it. That bandanna and hair he caught sight of though... along with a quick gaze of people still out and around. "Oh hey.... Gytha is driving the Dauntless."

......*Drip*

"Oh Gods Gytha is driving the Dauntless! Run for it!"

The wagon was moving again, it seemed. "Hmm... Looks like Raquel's in a bit of a rush..." Norbert muttered before addressing Aneda, "We can talk as we ride if you'd like. I'd rather stay grounded, though. It'd be a lot easier to lead Rika that way."

That said, he clicked his tongue and pulled somewhat on her reins to make sure he had Rika's attention so he wouldn't surprise her with the sudden movement. Then, he had Rizen -- much to her irritation (it had been a nice conversation thus far from her prospective) -- turn and catch up to the Dauntless, following along behind it for the time being. Once they got onto a wide enough road, he'd probably pull up beside it and ride there as he usually did.