What do you think on grinding?

Junkhead

implying that casuals have the strategy to beat chapter 2 lunatic+

what a bunch of losers :smug:

(no but seriously, i doubt most players who grind like that are playing on lunatic)

Reminded me of Lissa's quote. Sounds adorable when she says it.

A bad player like me can finish Lunatic+, so anything can change!

No I dont recruit donnel. Screw that pot

I thought you were a good player frequenting tier lists and all.

Man, you new people on the FE13 boards really confuse me with your lack of avatars. Get an avatar guys. Xd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I beat HHM with Marcus abuse

And I never beat 11.H5 past chapter 2, so im definitely bad

For that matter I struggled with FE11 H1, so yeah

It's cool. My Fire Emblem experience is this game, random pieces of Radiant Dawn and Super Smash Bros. I'm a complete noob.

I'm definitely better than you, I got to Chapter 4 in H5 mode!

(Not beating H5 mode in Shadow Dragon is nothing to be ashamed of. The mode is pretty stupid)

Im so bad, i never beat RD in Normal mode. Nor have i ever done HHM.

Hector Hard Mode should be called Hector Joke Mode, so easy

That's because all Hector has to do is unsheathe his sword and watch the enemy spontaneously die from his sheer badassery.

I never got through RD NM but mostly I got sick of how slow the enemy phase is

No turbo no skip ep can't play fast enough

Imagine this, but also playing DB during Part III in Hard Mode. Even with turned off animations the Enemy and Ally phase take forever. I've never been so annoyed with an FE game before.

Hector start unpromoted. Can't wield sword

Well, fudge. Didn't know that...

I've seriously only played a game and a half in Fire Emblem, so if I start assuming things, just tell me I'm wrong.

I never got through RD NM but mostly I got sick of how slow the enemy phase is

No turbo no skip ep can't play fast enough

Well you do play on an emulator, don't you?

I do myself (despite having it on Wii), but I have no trouble with the animations turned off. It's actually worse when emulating FE9.

Imagine this, but also playing DB during Part III in Hard Mode. Even with turned off animations the Enemy and Ally phase take forever. I've never been so annoyed with an FE game before.

well, you'll enjoy FE9 and its inability to skip map animations

Well you do play on an emulator, don't you?

I do myself (despite having it on Wii), but I have no trouble with the animations turned off. It's actually worse when emulating FE9.

I played it once on a wii over the course of 2 years (it was my friend's wii) and my NM sorta run was emulated but even with everything turned off it's still too slow for me

I would've started on HM but i was trying to pass some time from not having FE13 so got kinda lazy asking people for saves

I got through FE9 out of sheer "haven't played it yet" probably won't play again for a long time

well, you'll enjoy FE9 and its inability to skip map animations

I beat FE9 on hard mode, with animations turned on. Why? Because there isn't 1051581 Ally units.

allies aren't the problem really I can just tell them to stand still and do nothing

I just don't like spending time just sitting there staring at the screen while I do absolutely nothing

I see the question as age-old barebones game design, where you start out each level the same as you did the last (see: a ton of platformers, shooters, still a fair number of action games) and/or were guaranteed to have access to certain resources each time you got to a certain level, versus, say, Civilization, or sports. There are no discrete blocks of challenges in a lot of strategy games of the sort, no "levels" in the same sense, you just go from start to finish. As you progress, at least as a beginning player, it's harder to know for certain if, as you're progressing, you're "making your way closer to victory," or "have made so many mistakes as time went on that you've ultimately made it impossible to claim victory," due to having fallen irretrievably behind another player (AI or human), or if you've otherwise dug a hole for yourself.

Fire Emblem is sort of a mix. The games are most commonly made up of a succession of discrete challenges, levels, but there's no guarantee that in each new level, one player will have tools at their disposal that will be equal to another player's tools. Given that you can't go back and build (or preserve, in the case you let somebody die) your team differently if you save over your file, and that you don't know what challenges the next level will provide until you get there, it's hypothetically possible to go into a level that your team is unprepared for, or has a much harder time clearing than they might've, otherwise. Players used to the conventions of the series generally will generally be able to take what the games throw at them and know how to avoid any dramatic roadblocks like that, but it's still possible (especially for the uninitiated) to have a bit of that long-term existential dreading of a challenge you're not prepared for, and have no way of getting better prepared for that doesn't involve starting over in a separate playthrough.

Overworld grinding alleviates that area of unsureness. Which is nice for completely eliminating those CAN'T EVEN PROGRESS SHIT GAME 0/10 scenarios. Though I'm also fine with that long-term team-building-against-time challenge, I just think the game should be honest about it, and that it wouldn't be too detrimental to give players the option to opt out of it.

And I don't usually take much offense at people grinding, overlevelling, or abusing game systems in whatever way they like, at least in single-player games. Like all of the challenge a game provides is ultimately accepted voluntarily just by choosing to play it anyway, I personally don't think it's worth getting upset about how anybody else chooses to respond to that challenge.

Congratulations sir! You hit the issue on the money!

Sometimes a little grinding is necessary to win, especially if you have an unbalanced army. But how much grinding you can do heavily depends on which difficulty you're playing on and whether or not you have DLC.

Hector start unpromoted. Can't wield sword

Zelcher starts inpromoted. Can't wield lance.

Also, Frederick's best weapons isn't Axe.

That's just an expression, you know.

Also, Donnel is the best father. And Donnel + Leif's Blade.