Marrying Chrom to Sully is the worst possible thing you can do in the game and it will put you behind other players.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swords being the only melee option isn't as terrible postgame IMO for armthrift users

Slap Ragnell on you get one for free from Priam there's 1-2 range and p sure Levins are freely buyable after that too unless your mag is that atrocious but that's the character's problem not Levin Swords

Wouldn't recommend for storyline unless you're talking bowsassining L+ or something

Edited by Thor Odinson

I married Chrom and Sully for stats and CHILDHOOD FRIEND MARRIAGE ALL DEH WAY. I was on the Sumia x Chrom ship until I reversed directions entirely on my character builds. The Sumia direction did have a heap load of the force of gales combined with the speed of lightning. >>

Also, for dat Priam comment of Lumi's: I'm not doing this (since I'm taking Lance Slayer over Armsthrift), but Tyrfing Res+10 Priam with Ragnell and elixirs on stanby wrecks. Wrecks errything.

Edited by Only My Unit

Worst regular pairing... Frederick x Sully, maybe? Kjelle gets absolutely no classes out of it... but she does still have okay modifiers. Not great, but positive everywhere but MAG (who cares) and she gets Fred's mighty +SKL manseed.

That is the one I had in mind when I made that comment.

Worst regular pairing... Frederick x Sully, maybe? Kjelle gets absolutely no classes out of it... but she does still have okay modifiers. Not great, but positive everywhere but MAG (who cares) and she gets Fred's mighty +SKL manseed.

That is the one I had in mind when I made that comment.

Huh... I would've mentioned Gregor/Olivia, for the whole class overlap reason. Though the modifiers aren't too bad, to be fair.

Galeforce may be a handy skill, but it's nowhere near as essential as some of the combat skills in the game. It's more of a "convenience" skill like Armsthrift than a skill that actually helps your units fight and survive, like Sol or Dual Guard+.

It's good for clearing maps quicker (which is irrelevant unless you're impatient, into LTC or trying to open chests/save NPCs), hit-and-run strategies (enemy phase is still more important - unless you're playing on Lunatic/Lunatic+) and... that's all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

Galeforce may be a handy skill, but it's nowhere near as essential as some of the combat skills in the game. It's more of a "convenience" skill like Armsthrift than a skill that actually helps your units fight and survive, like Sol or Dual Guard+.

It's good for clearing maps quicker (which is irrelevant unless you're impatient, into LTC or trying to open chests/save NPCs), hit-and-run strategies (enemy phase is still more important - unless you're playing on Lunatic/Lunatic+) and... that's all I can think of at the moment.

Agreed. Some people just really... really like their Galeforce apparently. -_-

If any skill deserves such a guide it should be Luna. That's a damn useful skill, especially on the harder modes.

Indeed.

If any skill deserves such a guide it should be Luna. That's a damn useful skill, especially on the harder modes.

Yeah, I'd Luna's better than most of the attack skills in the game.

I find Galeforce to be extremely useful for positioning and survival in general. I honestly don't think it's overrated; it's a very powerful skill.

Luna is not gender exclusive, so that guide would be a simple list of which parents do and don't have it, so you can slap one from each column together.

I like Galeforce myself, with it it's easy to rampage and clear the map,

but it's only work in Player Phase.

Maybe it's just me, but in harder difficulties, I tend to rely on Enemy Phase rather than Player Phase. (Like in my Lunatic run)

So defense works better than offense in guess, and Galeforce doesn't really help in Enemy Phase.

But just like everyone said, Galeforce is more convenient than making a unit powerful.

Afterall, it's only active if you manage to kill an enemy.

That's why I always remove Galeforce from my Streetpass team, it's quite useless there. :|

Galeforce and Armsthrift are more than mere "convenience" skills and I grind my teeth every time someone dismisses them as such. They are both extremely powerful (Galeforce moreso). People are correct that they are not 100% slot everytime skills. However, if they act like they're "not that good," they're smoking crack, because they are quite good... maybe some of the best skills in the game, just not exclusively the best skills in the game (the only exclusively objectively superior skill in every circumstance is Limit Breaker), and not the best for every particular role or build.

I don't put Galeforce on pure supporters (i.e. ones that will not switch off). I won't put Armsthrift on a number of my final DLC team units even if they have it. However, there are extremely important niches for double-Galeforce switchoff striker teams and Armsthrift tanks. To wit:

• Galeforce allows massive field-clearing on the Player Phase, aka the one that is entirely under your control. It also allows strike-and-retreat and Rescue leapfrogging. Both of these are exceptionally useful generally but also very important on the hardest DLC.
  • Galeforce DOES help you do more damage. If you attack twice and do 80 damage each round, you did 160 damage in one phase. That matters if you're on the clock (e.g. TSON) or just want to wipe out priority enemies.
  • Galeforce DOES help you survive. Kill guy with Brave Sword, swap to Ragnell for Enemy Phase. Non-Galeforce users do not get to swap weapons after committing to an attack unless Olivia happens to be nearby or they literally just broke the weapon they were using.
  • Armsthrift DOES help you survive. Aversa's Night is flat stronger than Nosferatu and more of a sure survival method. Helswath and Ragnell are a bitch to get out of Infinite Regalia and prone to breaking, and Gradivus's healing uses up charges on a weapon that doesn't have many uses to start with. Armsthrift is essentially license to tank eternally against as many waves of enemies as you can survive, and for certain tanks that is "an indeterminate number of them." Being able to exclusively use Gradivus's charges on self-healing is also nice.
  • Armsthrift DOES help your offense. Why carry three Celica's Gales when you can carry a Celica's, a Valflame, and a Superior Jolt? Unless Chrom happens to be your support partner, you can't just materialize extra tomes out of your ass. A Sage without Tomebreaker with the latter loadout now has equal offense, better healing (swap to Valflame for staff use), and access to Tomebreaker on demand but doesn't have to keep it slotted when it isn't needed.
  • I've been ignoring the money issue, but obviously instead of forging those three Celica's you can forge Jolts/Bolts too, or just buy more Braves for your non-Armsthrift users, and so in the long run Armsthrift does indeed save you money and time.
Edited by Renall

I only use galeforce when I don't have to go out of my way to get it

I'd rather pair Gaius with Maribelle for the interesting development rather than GaiusxTharja purely for the pegasus knight pass down

Same thing goes with Donnel

Of course my opinion here sucks because I've never done anything that involves efficiency in my life

As for Armsthrift well it's gorgeous if you have high luck so you can conserver legendary items forever and do like Forseti spamming and all you have to do is chuck a second seal at someone

My money's on that instead

Edited by The Fush

Galeforce and Armsthrift are more than mere "convenience" skills and I grind my teeth every time someone dismisses them as such. They are both extremely powerful (Galeforce moreso). People are correct that they are not 100% slot everytime skills. However, if they act like they're "not that good," they're smoking crack, because they are quite good... maybe some of the best skills in the game, just not exclusively the best skills in the game (the only exclusively objectively superior skill in every circumstance is Limit Breaker), and not the best for every particular role or build.

I don't put Galeforce on pure supporters (i.e. ones that will not switch off). I won't put Armsthrift on a number of my final DLC team units even if they have it. However, there are extremely important niches for double-Galeforce switchoff striker teams and Armsthrift tanks. To wit:

• Galeforce allows massive field-clearing on the Player Phase, aka the one that is entirely under your control. It also allows strike-and-retreat and Rescue leapfrogging. Both of these are exceptionally useful generally but also very important on the hardest DLC.
  • Galeforce DOES help you do more damage. If you attack twice and do 80 damage each round, you did 160 damage in one phase. That matters if you're on the clock (e.g. TSON) or just want to wipe out priority enemies.
  • Galeforce DOES help you survive. Kill guy with Brave Sword, swap to Ragnell for Enemy Phase. Non-Galeforce users do not get to swap weapons after committing to an attack unless Olivia happens to be nearby or they literally just broke the weapon they were using.
  • Armsthrift DOES help you survive. Aversa's Night is flat stronger than Nosferatu and more of a sure survival method. Helswath and Ragnell are a bitch to get out of Infinite Regalia and prone to breaking, and Gradivus's healing uses up charges on a weapon that doesn't have many uses to start with. Armsthrift is essentially license to tank eternally against as many waves of enemies as you can survive, and for certain tanks that is "an indeterminate number of them." Being able to exclusively use Gradivus's charges on self-healing is also nice.
  • Armsthrift DOES help your offense. Why carry three Celica's Gales when you can carry a Celica's, a Valflame, and a Superior Jolt? Unless Chrom happens to be your support partner, you can't just materialize extra tomes out of your ass. A Sage without Tomebreaker with the latter loadout now has equal offense, better healing (swap to Valflame for staff use), and access to Tomebreaker on demand but doesn't have to keep it slotted when it isn't needed.
  • I've been ignoring the money issue, but obviously instead of forging those three Celica's you can forge Jolts/Bolts too, or just buy more Braves for your non-Armsthrift users, and so in the long run Armsthrift does indeed save you money and time.

Uh, you can switch weapons by trading with anyone after taking your turn. You don't need Olivia at all for it.

Uh, you can switch weapons by trading with anyone after taking your turn. You don't need Olivia at all for it.

That's either wasting another unit's turn or assuming you can position your units right just to do that. You'd need to move another unit in order to trade with someone else.

So I really liked Renall's post. As for the initial purpose of this thread, I usually pair whoever the hell I want based on what I want/like... though some are left without so I just go for external suggestions.

stupid pairings classwise?

there's always Donnel/Cordelia, blows away both Mercenary and Pegasus Knight that he could've passed to someone who needed it (oh hey look it's the Armsthrift/Galeforce combo, but also Donnel gives Sol via Hero)

oh and Sol>Luna, you guys are crazy

Edited by shadykid

I married Chrom and Sully for stats and CHILDHOOD FRIEND MARRIAGE ALL DEH WAY. I was on the Sumia x Chrom ship until I reversed directions entirely on my character builds. The Sumia direction did have a heap load of the force of gales combined with the speed of lightning. >>

Yeah, I paired up Chrom and Sully for the supports. In my experience I managed to get by without Galeforce (mostly because i forgot to reequip the skills of the characters) It's nice to have, but I really don't need tons of Galeforce people. It's also the reasone I love Gaius and Maribelle paired up. For the supports. It also doesn't hurt that Brady is still a pretty good unit that I used quite a bit.

The topic creator is right... and wrong, in my opinion.

First, there are a number of skills that are not only better than a galeforce-centered team, but can also serve to complement one. For example, I find Shadowgift Morgan more vital to any Galeforce team, due to Nosferatu being dark magic that can otherwise be only used by sorcerers and no other class, tome-user or no, than a galeforce team without the ability to heal their hp, if only by an amount that equals to half the damage they deal, per hit. Second, if you miss out on being able to have your entire team be galeforce-centered, it's not a cause to get upset over: Acrobat, weapon-breakers, among other skills, serve to annoy galeforce teams enough to see them either missing or unable to reach you(unless the user is a flier) just as well...

^ Shame that shadowgift can only be taught to your avatar's child, but only if it is a male(so your tactician can reach the necessary S-rank, which indicates marriage, w/ Aversa) that waits until the final chapter's unlocking point to marry someone, and chooses to marry Aversa, which only can be recruited on a spotpass map, which only is possible after the penultimate chapter is beaten... :(

^ But it isn't necessary to go all-galeforce. The enemy phase is more important than the player phase anyway, because no control + Right positioning in all enemies' attack range + All Enemies attacking + Player unit on defending side surviving all enemies= Chapter clear w/o the need for a gimmick that could benefit you if you can get it on most of your party(but won't impact you if you don't), like Galeforce is....

Edited by shadowjam

I find Galeforce to be extremely useful for positioning and survival in general. I honestly don't think it's overrated; it's a very powerful skill.

Luna is not gender exclusive, so that guide would be a simple list of which parents do and don't have it, so you can slap one from each column together.

wouldn't that be such a practical list? here's a skill that has a high proc rate, is non-gender exclusive, and makes any offensive build just that much better.

Edited by Raine

I will eventually marry anyone for the supports option (and probably DLC Conversations as well...)...

Galeforce is truly overpowered, in the sense that it is only good if you're already good. if you can't deal any significant damage to the ennemy, it's absolutely useless.

It isn't usefull before tons of grinding in endgame. There it will be wonderfull, but if you don't want to grind there are a lot of better options...

I think passing Counter to my daughters may be more usefull...

Besides, aren't Päss and Guide better for LTC anyway...

I think passing Counter to my daughters may be more usefull...

Unfortunately, it won't. Especially because there are better male exclusive skills to pass down to daughters than lolcounter.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Unfortunately, it won't. Especially because there are better male exclusive skills to pass down to daughters than lolcounter.

I utterly despise counter

Picture it as some guy who's a friend of your friend; but he hates you.

Then he convinces your friend to turn against you, making him your enemy. His friend then becomes infinitely valuable to him, empowering him immensely if you're adjacent to him because you're a threat

But whenever you blackmail him over to your side, he does everything he can to be an ass to you

That's what Counter is; an enemy who's your friend's friend who is infinetely valuable to him but a pile of shirzle to you

Edited by The Fush

I utterly despise counter

Picture it as some guy who's a friend of your friend; but he hates you.

Then he convinces your friend to turn against you, making him your enemy. His friend then becomes infinitely valuable to him, empowering him immensely if you're adjacent to him because you're a threat

But whenever you blackmail him over to your side, he does everything he can to be an ass to you

That's what Counter is; an enemy who's your friend's friend who is infinetely valuable to him but a pile of shirzle to you

Never really tried it..

Is it really that bad ?

Also, what Male skill should I pass then ? The only I could think of are Rally Strength or Gamble (Despoil is already available with Leif's Blade and Axefaire isn't that needed...

Never really tried it..

Is it really that bad ?

Also, what Male skill should I pass then ? The only I could think of are Rally Strength or Gamble (Despoil is already available with Leif's Blade and Axefaire isn't that needed...

Yeah, it's that bad because, well, who'd WANT to take the damage needed for Counter to be of any real help???

I'd rather pass down HP +5 or Rally Strength.

IMO Axefaire isn't a bad option if you're aiming for said daughter to be an axe user, like a Hero daughter or something. Rally Strength is probably good if you're in storyline mode but postgame I don't like using children as rallybots when you can just use spot/streetpass characters for that, and yeah HP+5 may also be a decent option.