New Thracia 776 translation

js394

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...And yes, I know that the new patch is not meant to be the same thing. I'm just saying that on top of hating the official names, I wish people would not needlessly change the script for no reason. (Of the 3 scenes mentioned, honestly, only the one with Levin is even potentially a problem. It conveys the meaning perfectly well, regardless of whether or not it makes you wonder "Wtf? They have shrinks in Jugdral?") Maybe it's just me, but I really just think you are all nitpicking about this.

Is it really changing the lines if the retranslation will be more accurate? (Hence, the lines you like are less accurate in the first place, and thus changed from the JP version... maybe I'm just dragging myself in circles lol)

I guess my point is, it's a fan translation that arguably changed it for no reason in the first place, possibly muddling the original intent/mistranslating. I don't see it as something to get attached to. Retranslating is not needlessly changing the script, it is straight up fixing it.

Do you have the same problem with FE3's translation compared to FE12? I vaguely remember the translation team mentioning that FE3 and FE12 have virtually the same japanese script, but they went ahead with actually retranslating it (where relevant, of course, I imagine the added content has no way to line up with FE3 lol)

Edited by L95

Cannot wait for this and Genealogy!!! Any update on how its going or anyway I can help?

Genealogy actually already has a translation that uses official names. See the Gharnef's Improved FE4 translation thread.

Do you have the same problem with FE3's translation compared to FE12? I vaguely remember the translation team mentioning that FE3 and FE12 have virtually the same japanese script, but they went ahead with actually retranslating it (where relevant, of course, I imagine the added content has no way to line up with FE3 lol)

This is kind of off the track a little, but FE3 and FE12 were a very special case.

FE3's fan translation was a proof of concept that kind of snowballed and was never intended to be an actual product.

Meanwhile the FE12 fan translation was destined to fill in the gap NOA/NOE had left and it had all the big guns of the fandom backing it--and everyone in their intended roles too.

This is kind of off the track a little, but FE3 and FE12 were a very special case.

FE3's fan translation was a proof of concept that kind of snowballed and was never intended to be an actual product.

Meanwhile the FE12 fan translation was destined to fill in the gap NOA/NOE had left and it had all the big guns of the fandom backing it--and everyone in their intended roles too.

Isn't that pretty much how the FE6 translation went? I remember on FESS, Twilkitri posted some proof of concept pics for messing around with character names, and then Fire Lizard came into the picture, and things just kinda slotted into place. Same with the FE5 translation.

Genealogy actually already has a translation that uses official names. See the Gharnef's Improved FE4 translation thread.

That's true, but he meant one that fixes things like awkward phrasing, mistranslations, characters with odd names but no official ones, and the ending freeze, none of which the gharnef patch fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried it out, some things I've noticed:

Preperation screen, character status screen, armory and convoy have been improved. Much more understandable now.

The commands are a little confusing now. Dance is Add and trade is EI. Some other changes as well.

Some of the item names are abit confusing too, especially the staves.

The class names are very long now, and sometimes they'll go over the portrait. Doesn't really bother me but I thought I'd let you know.

The heroes in the end no longer freeze the game.

And the combat window is using japanese letters...any plans to translate that?

Just tried it out, some things I've noticed:

Preperation screen, character status screen, armory and convoy have been improved. Much more understandable now.

The commands are a little confusing now. Dance is Add and trade is EI. Some other changes as well.

Some of the item names are abit confusing too, especially the staves.

The class names are very long now, and sometimes they'll go over the portrait. Doesn't really bother me but I thought I'd let you know.

The heroes in the end no longer freeze the game.

And the combat window is using japanese letters...any plans to translate that?

Hmm, I'll fix the commands. I must have messed up a pointer or something.

I used all the names from the old patch for the items (except for the official names) so I'll go over them again and make them less confusing.

I believe that at some point a VWF will be implemented so the text won't go over the portraits.

Hmm I can't believe I missed the combat window. I'll fix that and everything else ASAP and get a new patch out hopefully tomorrow. Thanks!

I guess this new patch is based off the old menu patch? The thing is, that patch was kinda confusing to begin with, it used old item names (like hero weapons instead of brave weapons), the commands were confusing and the skills weren't translated (the skills are in japanese even in your new version).

Wouldn't it be better to edit Shaya's patch instead? People are more familiar with that one, and then we'll also have a decent dialogue until the new one is ready.

I guess this new patch is based off the old menu patch? The thing is, that patch was kinda confusing to begin with, it used old item names (like hero weapons instead of brave weapons), the commands were confusing and the skills weren't translated (the skills are in japanese even in your new version).

Wouldn't it be better to edit Shaya's patch instead? People are more familiar with that one, and then we'll also have a decent dialogue until the new one is ready.

From what i understand. this is less of an update and more of laying the groundwork for a more complete patch when the text injection tool is complete. From what i understand, Shaya's patch has some very hard to fix errors (like the hero freezing), which is why it is not used. All of the confusing names have been fixed, so that is not an issue.

From what i understand. this is less of an update and more of laying the groundwork for a more complete patch when the text injection tool is complete. From what i understand, Shaya's patch has some very hard to fix errors (like the hero freezing), which is why it is not used. All of the confusing names have been fixed, so that is not an issue.

Yes, exactly.

Okay, I fixed the staves and updated some of the other items to their official names. The combat window sadly is compressed just like the status labels, so for now it's not editable. The patch is available in the first post.

I'm going to try my best to figure out how to edit the status labels, but so far everything I've tried doesn't work.

Edit - I've managed to find the email of Luxifer Angel, the guy who made the original menu patch. I emailed him about editing the compressed text. I'm not getting my hopes up though, the patch was last updated over 10 years ago. Even if he still uses that email, he may not remember. Oh well, it's worth a shot!

Edited by joesteve1914

Shaya managed to edit the combat window in his patch, maybe you can ask him?

Hmm, its not translated in the patch on serenes forest. Edited by joesteve1914

Hmm, its not translated in the patch on serenes forest.

It's not entirely comprehensible but it's better then Japanese letters, and if they can be changed them to danc and ena I think it's also possible to change them to proper abbreviations? The patch did change the letters as you can see in this pic.

http://imgur.com/D7hoyw5

I think what you're seeing there is some of the original Japanese that was reused as squished lettering somewhere else. The letters appearing in that stat screen are likely a side-effect and not intentional. Though if that's true, these letters could be redrawn to represent the stat screen ones and the other text take tiles from somewhere else.

I think what you're seeing there is some of the original Japanese that was reused as squished lettering somewhere else.

Yes, that's what it's from.

Anyways, the patch has been updated. Just some minor fixes, and I also fixed the dance and trade commands. I'm going to see if I can expand the menu box next so we can fit the entire command, rather then just "Trd" or "Atk". If it's anything like the FE3/BSFE menu box then it shouldn't be too hard.

Resire? Is that a hacking tool?

It is a text editer for fe4/5 that is currently under development. Without it, the only way to change text is by hex editing it in manually, which no one wants to do. (I belive that the original translation tools have been lost in various computer crashes and such.)

Twilkitri's tools work for script insertion (based on the J2E stuff I think, which is also available still), and there are other programs that also help with script extraction and insertion, such as Atlas. There's more than a hex editor available :)

Edited by Celice