New Thracia 776 translation

js394

By the way bro, it may have turned out that I was using a bad rom. My bro Booton hooked me up with a different rom some time back and when I tried your patch again, I think it didn't have issues.

Again, if you want a betatester, I am here for you.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I could ask, since we have a new FE5 translation anyone working on a newer FE4 translation?

Short answer, yes

Nothing yet to show though. I'll post a thread when I have some actual progress, this project was started about a week ago.

@all

What ROM version of Thracia 776 is needed for this translation patch, btw?

Edited by MP2E

• 2 weeks later...

@all

What ROM version of Thracia 776 is needed for this translation patch, btw?

Regular ROM (Not the Nintendo power one), headered

I noticed that the staff that gives Resistance to anyone that it had two different names in the English version of the series as Barrier in Fire Emblem, The Sacred Stones, & Shadow Dragon and Ward in Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, & Awakening, but what do we think that what should we pick one of the two names for the staff go as Barrier or Ward for this patch?

Edited by King Marth 64

I noticed that the staff that gives Resistance to anyone that it had two different names in the English version of the series as Barrier in Fire Emblem, The Sacred Stones, & Shadow Dragon and Ward in Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, & Awakening, but what do we think that what should we pick one of the two names for the staff go as Barrier or Ward for this patch?

As Ward is the more 'recent' translation, I'd go with that one myself. Not like it matters all that much in the grand scheme of things.

fwiw i admit with some embarrassment i've kinda got some preliminary notes on FE5 translation stuff going for once i'm done with FE4, and in those i went with "Ward" for the staff

gringe mentioned a while back that he's sort of talked to joesteve about the possibility of one of us providing the retranslation for this patch once both 4 and 6 are out of the way, so yeah. if it's me, it's gonna be Ward

Edited by bookofholsety

Alright, I think I'll might vote Ward for the name of the staff for this patch.

And also, I kinda forgot about Horseslayer/Ridersbane, but I am not sure if its corrected as Horseslayer or Ridersbane in this version of the patch yet?

Edited by King Marth 64

Yeah, I think I'm going with 'Ward'. As for the Ridersbane/Horseslayer thing, no I haven't corrected that in my lastest patch, but I'm not sure if the Shaya patch does.

I actually lost all my notes for the translation, the patch in the first post is the only thing I have left. So I I'm now starting from scratch (with an original Japanese rom, not the Shaya one).

fwiw i admit with some embarrassment i've kinda got some preliminary notes on FE5 translation stuff going for once i'm done with FE4, and in those i went with "Ward" for the staff

gringe mentioned a while back that he's sort of talked to joesteve about the possibility of one of us providing the retranslation for this patch once both 4 and 6 are out of the way, so yeah. if it's me, it's gonna be Ward

Yeah, I'm helping gringe with some graphics for FE6 (oops I mean 7 :D ). We have discussed either you or him providing a new translation (I actually have a pm from him now I have to read).

I'm also going to ask in the romhacking forum, but does anyone know the control code that let's you repoint the text in the dialogue? I forgot about it since I lost my documentation but someone in the romhacking forum reminded me about it.

Hey guys,

I just wanted you to know that I *am* working on this still. I've started over so the glitches caused by my older patch won't happen.

Holy crap, I think I must have been living under a rock this past month. I didn't see this thread reviving.

I think you're in good hands for "localization" with gringe's experience with that and being a hell of a lot more fluent speaker of Japanese than a lot of the forum here.

I wouldn't trust the other "enthusiastic" people posting in this thread at all.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Holy crap, I think I must have been living under a rock this past month. I didn't see this thread reviving.

I think you're in good hands for "localization" with gringe's experience with that and being a hell of a lot more fluent speaker of Japanese than a lot of the forum here.

I wouldn't trust the other "enthusiastic" people posting in this thread at all.

Heh, well, while I did talk to gringe about him or bookofholsety "localizing" the script, that's pretty far off right now.

Right now I'm going to see if I can write a text dumper/inserter for the game, which requires me making a table to figure out what value=what letter/symbol. Since I'm translating from scratch with the original Japanese ROM, I need to make a table for that (previously my patch was based off of Shaya's so I had a table for that). And I have very little knowledge of Japanese so writing the kanji will be difficult.

Then there's the compressed menu text. I do have a decompressor for those, but the main problem is finding out where they are located.

So yeah, right now rewriting the script isn't even on my mind :)

(gringe also said that they're working on the new FE4 translation too, so you'll have to wait for that to be done anyways :P)

Edit- Wow I just started playing Path of Radiance for the first time about a week ago... I never realized Serenes Forest is actually a place in Fire Emblem :)

Edited by joesteve1914

First of all, I would like to thank you for working on this. Second, how's the progress so far? I mean how far did you get with the story dialogue? Off-topic, but what is the best patch for FE5 at the moment?

There's only the one patch right now, Shlaya/firelizard's. The menus are a mess, but the script's translated. It hits most of the major points, though there's lots of awkward wording and bizarre translations (Somehow Shlaya thought 'Left out in the cold = 'Suffer without income') and a few random pointless meme references.

There's only the one patch right now, Shlaya/firelizard's. The menus are a mess, but the script's translated. It hits most of the major points, though there's lots of awkward wording and bizarre translations (Somehow Shlaya thought 'Left out in the cold = 'Suffer without income') and a few random pointless meme references.

It should be known that Shaya didn't have much role in the translation. He was one to get the script inserted. Most of the translation was taken from Fire Lizard's work, a native Japanese speaker.

There are also more than one translation patch. There are at least two that I know of, not including the different builds of Shaya's work. The other being a menu-only patch which meant to be playable, and is available online for anyone to use. Most players would have Fire Lizard's script translation along-side to read as they played with the menu-patch, with no real issue.

(gringe also said that they're working on the new FE4 translation too, so you'll have to wait for that to be done anyways :P)

Really, the only things that irk me about the current translation patches is playability. I could really care less about names and localization.

I mean I'd play the hell out of the last one with "Serlis" as the name if it fixed the endgame bug.

Then again, even if I'd have no trouble playing it in Japanese, I'm just being lazy.

Anyways, it really kills the experience when bugs are rampant. And FE5 has been waiting for a fix for so many years.

I guess I'm just enthusiastic about the news that you're reviving the effort, and I will try to support you as best I can.

Really, the only things that irk me about the current translation patches is playability. I could really care less about names and localization.

I mean I'd play the hell out of the last one with "Serlis" as the name if it fixed the endgame bug.

Then again, even if I'd have no trouble playing it in Japanese, I'm just being lazy.

Anyways, it really kills the experience when bugs are rampant. And FE5 has been waiting for a fix for so many years.

I guess I'm just enthusiastic about the news that you're reviving the effort, and I will try to support you as best I can.

for the record, back when i got started on FE4 i momentarily forgot that 5 is in more urgent need of attention, and by the time i remembered i was already fuck deep in 4 to the point where ditching it to address 5 would be kinda dumb. whoops, i guess?

(that said, fixing 4's epilogue is well and truly part of the plan, as well as basically everything else that's still missing. hell, MP2E's been talking about addressing some of the vanilla japanese game's glitches too along the way)

quick side note: is it plausible that FE5 stores its text in the same way 4 did? of course there'd still be the issue of finding it in the ROM, but if its format is indeed anything like FE4's then having a clearer idea of what to look for may be a big help? idk this is probably proving how poor my understanding of the hacking side of all this is

Edited by bookofholsety

quick side note: is it plausible that FE5 stores its text in the same way 4 did? of course there'd still be the issue of finding it in the ROM, but if its format is indeed anything like FE4's then having a clearer idea of what to look for may be a big help? idk this is probably proving how poor my understanding of the hacking side of all this is

I have no clue as to SNES hacking. I'm sure that is definitely a plausible thought. Why change something's format that isn't broken, unless they added a feature?

It should be known that Shaya didn't have much role in the translation. He was one to get the script inserted. Most of the translation was taken from Fire Lizard's work, a native Japanese speaker.

There are also more than one translation patch. There are at least two that I know of, not including the different builds of Shaya's work. The other being a menu-only patch which meant to be playable, and is available online for anyone to use. Most players would have Fire Lizard's script translation along-side to read as they played with the menu-patch, with no real issue.

Except for a native speaker, Firelizard

a) Omits entire lines. (Raydrik remarks upon Nanna's resemblance to Raquesis in Chapter 1 - This is never shown. Raydrik also mentions where he first discovered the Sword of Darkness, and that is omitted. Honestly, a lot of Raydrik's dialogue is itself handled pretty poorly.

b) Has a great deal of difficulty rendering his translations into English that is isn't awkward or unwieldy, and his wording choices are extremely questionable at times and defy how phrases are normally translated. Example, part of Leif's line about what would happen to Ruemay's family if Ruemay were to die is translated as 'suffer without income', when the more literal translation is 'left out in the cold/left by the wayside.'

Other times though, he's spot on (Like when August is talking about the history of Thracia). Still, I find the translation to be incredibly inconsistent in quality. People forget that for an ideal translation, you want something who has strong writing and communication skills in both languages.

Edited by Siuloir

One does not simply use official names.

I'm no fan of it either. Especially since some of the names just seemed stupidly altered.

I get that in Japanese, L and R are the same, but who in there right mind thinks Arvis is better than Alvis?

I'm no fan of it either. Especially since some of the names just seemed stupidly altered.

I get that in Japanese, L and R are the same, but who in there right mind thinks Arvis is better than Alvis?

Ulster? ULSTER? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12q3bsGWch4

Don't name your characters after provinces. Oh yeah, not to forget Lachesis. Her name change doesn't make sense(but at least more sense than the Nintendo Power article[Marus]).

I prefer to download my ROMs prepatched rather than go through the bother of patching them myself anyway.

Ulster? ULSTER? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12q3bsGWch4

Don't name your characters after provinces. Oh yeah, not to forget Lachesis. Her name change doesn't make sense(but at least more sense than the Nintendo Power article[Marus]).

I prefer to download my ROMs prepatched rather than go through the bother of patching them myself anyway.

Skasaher is actually funnier than Ulster (to me at least) - Skasaher is derived from Scathach, the name of a female figure in Irish myth while Larcei/Lakche is derived from Luchtaine, a male deity. The twins have gender swapped names, essentially. Ulster at least sounds masculine in English, I suppose.

I assume a great deal of the official name changes were done to corruption the Gaelic a bit further (Or Greek, in Raquesis' case), rather than directly reference the source material (Midir->Midayle, etc.). However, some are particularly aggravating - Delmud instead of Diarmuid/Dermott drives me nuts, especially since it should be rendered closer to Jyarmuddo in romaji.

For clarity's sake (and disclosure of the position I'm speaking from), I speak Japanese and study Gaelic.

Edited by Siuloir

Skasaher is actually funnier than Ulster (to me at least) - Skasaher is derived from Scathach, the name of a female figure in Irish myth while Larcei/Lakche is derived from Luchtaine, a male deity. The twins have gender swapped names, essentially.

That's actually really cool. I hope localization didn't butcher this reference.

at the risk of getting snippy and control freaky, use of official names in this patch is non-negotiable. joesteve wants to use them, gringe wants to use them, i want to use them. complaints will fall on deaf ears on this one. seriously, focus your efforts on something actually important and worth complaining about

you're drastically overstating how "bad" they are anyway; the majority of them barely differ at all from what we've been calling the characters for years!