New Thracia 776 translation

js394

Although I agree with you, Nosferatu may not be the best example, because both its light and dark forms have been localized as Nosferatu.

Edited by Iridium

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nosferatu aside, i can't actually think of an example when one item had the same name as an entirely different item, but only one got renamed (and, as stated, nosferatu had both versions localized so there is some precedence in that case)

King Marth might be wording it badly, but I think I'm with him on this.

If we're using localised names where possible, Holy Sword should be Blessed Sword. Otherwise, what was the point of changing Charisma to Charm, Great Shield to Pavise, etc?

If you're arguing that FE5's Holy Sword is different from FE2's Holy Sword and thus shouldn't be renamed, many identically named items and classes often have different functions between games, so where do we draw the line?

For example, Nosferatu switches between light magic and dark magic all the time and it's being called Nosferatu here and not Resire.

Well, for one, I believe it should at least have some sort of semblance if we were to justify its name change. All the various versions of Nosferatu have a life stealing effect, Great Shield/Pavise reduce damage based on skill%, Charisma/Charm is an aura that boosts acc/avo, etc. Fe2/hypothetical Holy sword heals you, whereas Fe5's has a brave effect, and gives mag and miracle. That just seems way too far off to really consider the same weapon.

Would it be misleading to call it Holy Sword? Would it be more or less misleading than that to call it Blessed Sword? I don't even remember what the current name of the item is, but is either of the two even more misleading than that? My understanding is that the particular sword in question does not actually have an equivalent or even similar item in another game, in terms of stats/effects, so I would personally go with the one that also does not duplicate naming.

As for Delmud. I like Delmud. I would prefer to stick with Delmud. But you should talk to the FE4 patch guy and just agree on what you're going to use for any (other) children characters who don't have official localisations.

I approve of this project.

Things to note:

- Fixing garbage text in the menus and stores should be first priority. Navigating the convoy for someone first playing the game is nightmarish.

- Scrolls should be changed to match the official FE13 translations of the crusaders.

- Elite Sword should be Paragon Sword if you're using official localized skill names.

- Chapter 6: There's a convo here that shows wrong sprites. It has Safy were it should be Mareeta.

- Chapter 11: Take out the "In America!" line and replace it with "In Thracia!"

- Chapter 14: The Resire/Nosferatu village shows no sprites when you visit it. Also, when you beat the map there's a conversation between Arion and Linoan. Arion's sprite should be seen, but it isn't in the patch.

- Chapter 18: One of the prisoners talking to its respective relative shows the wrong sprites (I think it's the old lady that talks to her son, but shows a kid and his father instead)

- Chapter 20: There's garbage text when you visit the village and when you attack Barat.

- Chapter 23: "RESTART LOL" and "FLAME OF JUSTICE!!"

- Chapter 24: Games freezes if you hover on the enemy heroes and garbage sprites display when you attack them. Hopefully this can be fixed.

That's the stuff I remember. Please don't take this as a "Get to work!" post, I'm just listing stuff you may want to check out.

Also the Ch 21(or around there I forgot lol) scene with Seliph talking to Julia, the patch instead has Julia talking to Julia(Seliph)

Edited by PKLucas531

If I may be able to help with this I'd be glad too, I can read Japanese so that may be useful?

This patch fixes the garbage text on the stat screens, however it translates them back into Japanese. Soon I will release an english one but this is it for now. Also it attempts to fix the armory, but there are still bugs (and the translation isn't good in some spots)

(Check first post for patch)

Patch doesn't seem to work for me. Now all the text looks garbage (still readable, but looks kinda "corrupt"), and whenever I try moving a character, the game freezes. This is the same rom I originally patched the original patch in.

Don't put the patch over one that already had Shaya's patch. Patch it onto a clean FE5 rom.

I noticed this patch untranslated a lot of stuff too, like "Help" and "Trade" instead of just untranslating the garbage in the status screen.

Yeah, that's what I did. It's patched into the same clean rom I patched the original Shaya patch. It's not patched into an already patched rom.

This is how it looks for me:

U5XvVto.png

Maybe you patched it over the Nintendo Power ROM? I patched it over the normal release and mine is fine. I know Shaya's patch had multiple versions to support the Nintendo Power version, which would explain why it worked before and not now.

I personally like Dermid, but that's still up for discussion.

Also, I just noticed that Kempf uses the word "bitch" a lot. This doesn't really fit into Fire Emblem in my opinion. Could anyone think of any alternatives?

I personally like Dermid, but that's still up for discussion.

Also, I just noticed that Kempf uses the word "bitch" a lot. This doesn't really fit into Fire Emblem in my opinion. Could anyone think of any alternatives?

Maybe "wench"?

Kempf: Errrgh... You...wench...! Someone! Capture her! I'll kill you all... I'll kill you, I say!

I guess that would work.

And I think that Lifis, the man (in Chapter 6 if Leena isn't freed), and Gomes used those S words and Orsin & some of the others used the B words also. I think those might needed to be changed also. I guessing that those S words might be good enough to be changed to "Blast" and those B words changed to "Dastards" as well?

Edited by King Marth 64

And I think that Lifis and the man in Chapter 6 used those S words and Orsin & some of the others used the B words also. I think those might needed to be changed also. I guessing that those S words might be good enough to be changed to "Blast" and those B words changed to "Dastards" as well?

Bastard and Dastard are completely different words.

I just updated the first post with some screenshots.

Anyways, yes I think wench will work. Also for the other words, I'd like to keep them the same length or shorter than the original words, just because the amount of time for hacking in more space isn't worth it.

I give up. I can't get it to work. I've tried various roms from different sites, various emulator options, both ZSNES and SNES9x, patching it different ways... result is always the same garbled text and freezing when moving a character.

Guess my only option now is to wait for the next version of the patch.

Could someone please translate these? Their not on the site.

http://postimg.org/gallery/9fsyom32/a83f4f61/

I give up. I can't get it to work. I've tried various roms from different sites, various emulator options, both ZSNES and SNES9x, patching it different ways... result is always the same garbled text and freezing when moving a character.

Guess my only option now is to wait for the next version of the patch.

I'll be releasing a patch soon, right after I get those screenshots above translated.

Edited by joesteve1914

Oh wow, NOW everyone's all on board with a new Thracia patch? Because when I attempted this project about a year ago the massive negative outcry was immense. People complained about me updating new names. People complaining about me updating Firelizard's script. People complained about the need for a new patch at all, citing all the interface problems with the old one as "not that bad."

Now here's a group of people doing exactly what I proposed to do and it's all hunky dory no problems here.

Could someone please translate these? Their not on the site.

http://postimg.org/gallery/9fsyom32/a83f4f61/

I'll be releasing a patch soon, right after I get those screenshots above translated.

okay i've got this. none of these are particularly literal, but w/e

• Screenshot 1: (Orsin) "Let's do this, Halvan!"
  • Screenshot 2: (Halvan) "Argh, I was ready, but I still can't get you!"
  • Screenshot 3: (Tanya) "Dad, I'm ready to go." (Dagdar) "These guys'll regret it, but no matter what Eyvel does, the empire's men'll be too much... We've gotta hurry!"
  • Screenshot 4: (Marty) "Ugh, not again..."
  • Screenshot 5: (Leif) "Eyvel! They're attacking the village!"
  • Screenshot 6: (Eyvel) "Lifis's thugs, huh? Even though they haven't done much lately..." (Leif) "We can't just leave them! We have to help the village!"
  • Screenshot 7: (Raydrik) "Weissman, this has to be the village we're looking for."
  • (following the above, but not depicted in a screenshot): (Weissman) "Haha, there's no doubt about it, sir."
  • Screenshot 8: (Raydrik) "Right, attack! Bring me that prince!"

okay i've got this. none of these are particularly literal, but w/e

• Screenshot 1: (Orsin) "Let's do this, Halvan!"
  • Screenshot 2: (Halvan) "Argh, I was ready, but I still can't get you!"
  • Screenshot 3: (Tanya) "Dad, I'm ready to go." (Dagdar) "These guys'll regret it, but no matter what Eyvel does, the empire's men'll be too much... We've gotta hurry!"
  • Screenshot 4: (Marty) "Ugh, not again..."
  • Screenshot 5: (Leif) "Eyvel! They're attacking the village!"
  • Screenshot 6: (Eyvel) "Lifis's thugs, huh? Even though they haven't done much lately..." (Leif) "We can't just leave them! We have to help the village!"
  • Screenshot 7: (Raydrik) "Weissman, this has to be the village we're looking for."
  • (following the above, but not depicted in a screenshot): (Weissman) "Haha, there's no doubt about it, sir."
  • Screenshot 8: (Raydrik) "Right, attack! Bring me that prince!"

Thanks a lot!