So Xbox 'One' reveal

Klokinator

Achievement Unlocked: Derail the Topic by disagreeing with the Netroots Activists

Why shouldn't you?

Nobody's saying you shouldn't, I'm just saying you shouldn't be outraged when it turns out that your monetization of things you don't own gets taken down. I'm a ROM hacker; what I do is illegal, and Nintendo could call me on it the second they discover my work. Does this mean I shouldn't do it? Well, it hasn't stopped me yet. But the second I get a cease and desist, I understand that it's completely within their rights to do so. I'm not even making money off of my shit, but I'm still distributing modifications to stolen copyrighted property (hint: that's clearly and understandably illegal).

One of the most important and first lessons to learn in businesses is that just because something is legal doesn't mean it's ethical. Or in this case, just because a company has the right to do something doesn't mean they should do it.

Thanks for the lecture. Why shouldn't they do it? Because a bunch of YouTubers will get their panties all bunched up? Here's a business lesson for you: people bitching on the internet because you took away their YouTube videos doesn't mean shit to a company. When all you do is talk over a video of someone else's product, I'd say it's perfectly ethical to target that. They're monetizing things that they don't own.

Now, if Nintendo were targeting the run of the mill "video of myself playing a game" folks, I'd say that that's breaching into unethical territory. This is perfectly fine. The netroots just get all outraged whenever corporations' property rights get in the way of people being able to do whatever the fuck they want with the internet.

Edited by Arch

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is distributing mods illegal? So what if they're mods to roms.

Because a bunch of YouTubers will get their panties all bunched up? Here's a business lesson for you: people bitching on the internet because you took away their YouTube videos doesn't mean shit to a company. When all you do is talk over a video of someone else's product, I'd say it's perfectly ethical to target that. They're monetizing things that they don't own.

For one, they lose all the free publicity LPers give them, if the trend of dropping all Nintendo games from their let's plays continue. I'd say that's far more important than a short term monetization view on the matter.

I read somewhere that the most likely reason they excluded b/c is because it would be difficult to secure used game sales on those, as compared to the new game-only Xbox-1 games.

Edited by Constable Reggie

How is distributing mods illegal? So what if they're mods to roms.

Is this seriously a question? It's a modification of something that I don't own the rights to. The modification contains a ton of content that is the intellectual property of Nintendo, I really have no right to use any of it in the first place. I'm modifying a stolen copy of that game (yes, ROMs are stolen unless you rip them from your own cartridge), and encouraging others to steal the game so that they can play the modification I'm distributing.

The only reason I wouldn't go directly to jail is because I'm using patches, and that's just a loophole. They have the right to send me a cease and desist whenever the fuck they want, really. They could demand all of my work be taken down, just like those precious LPs, and Serenes would have to comply.

For one, they lose all the free publicity LPers give them, if the trend of dropping all Nintendo games from their let's plays continue.

That's Nintendo's call, though. If they feel that they lose more money from the LPs than the free publicity brings in, then they're perfectly entitled to target those LPs. There are pros and cons to everything, man, and Nintendo made their decision. It just happens to be one you disagree with.

Nobody's saying you shouldn't, I'm just saying you shouldn't be outraged when it turns out that your monetization of things you don't own gets taken down.

Why? It's a stupid law on a shaky interpretation that is incredibly out of date and anything but adapted to a modern digital society. Why shouldn't people be outraged at exploitation from a corporation through an awful rickety legal system?

Thanks for the lecture. Why shouldn't they do it? Because a bunch of YouTubers will get their panties all bunched up?

Sure. Those LPers constitute a large amount of free advertisement. They are a large community with a loyal fanbase of several million. To say that none of these have any pull in the community is pure silliness.

Here's a business lesson for you: people bitching on the internet because you took away their YouTube videos doesn't mean shit to a company. When all you do is talk over a video of someone else's product, I'd say it's perfectly ethical to target that. They're monetizing things that they don't own.

Legally no. But how many people (let's include yourself) know to any real depth the concept of copyright law? Few. And why is it so complex? Because the concept of ownership in this situation is nebulous.

And of course it doesn't mean shit to them. Not yet. But it will if they lose profits.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

It was a legitimate question. Again, what makes mods to FE roms illegal, and mods to regular games not? Can Nintendo prove that you didn't rip the file from your cartridge?

It's like saying distributing someone's mod to Fallout New Vegas is illegal because he used a pirated copy to make it. You wouldn't go to jail because there's no way they could possibly prove that you obtained said copy illegally.

That's Nintendo's call, though. If they feel that they lose more money from the LPs than the free publicity brings in, then they're perfectly entitled to target those LPs. There are pros and cons to everything, man, and Nintendo made their decision. It just happens to be one you disagree with.

Erm, what. I never said anything of my opinion on this matter. I simply gave a reason why they shouldn't pursue this.

To be perfectly fair, YouTube itself says that video game footage can't be monetized unless you have permission from Nintendo or Microsoft or whatever:

youtubemonetization.png

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

If you're actually interested in how Nintendo's claims will affect the content quality on YouTube (which is a large, growing medium), listen to this. Seriously.

Also, here is a comparison and explanation of the processing tech behind the Xbox One and PS4:

Lastly, if you'd like to hear a quick 3-minute breakdown of the Xbox One's features, check out:

I spend way too much time on Youtube

Edited by BlueFire

As the OP, I'm gonna apologize for even bringing up nintendo LP's and ask that we get back on topic with the 720 announcement. I'm calling it 720 still because "One" is really fucking stupid.

I find it amusing that the 720 is a completely inferior console to the ps4 in the processing department. While Sony went the route of switching to x86, a nice tried and true type of code that people can make reliable games for off the shelves, the 720 uses a new OS, and focuses on media instead of what gamers want, games.

But disappointment all around, neither of the two upcoming consoles hold my interest.

I'm not surprised that the Xbox One (its real name whether you like it or not) is weaker than the PS4 - I'd be surprised if it was stronger than the PS4. In the 360 generation, most games were made for 360 and ported over to PS3 because the 360 was the weaker one. This actually made a lot if games slightly better for Xbox (the PS3 ports had more bugs and some games' color schemes looked better on 360)

This generation, I have a feeling games will be written for the Xbox One and ported to the PS4, but we'll see what happens.

Also, Klok, are you not interested in the consoles because you have a gaming PC? Do you prefer titles published by Nintendo? I'm just curious.

Edited by BlueFire

Yeah I have a gaming pc, but right now my backlight is blown so I'm trying to repair it. Even so, I would never buy more than one of any gen console so I want that choice to be the best.

Since the placeholder price for Xbox 1 preorders is $899, that will not be my console of choice.

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/xbox-one

(Link courtesy of Athenawyrm)

Combo that with the $899 price tag... I'm not the premier Microsoft person in the first place, considering the main draw for the PS3 for me was the region free feature. As in I could play those stupid Japanese weeaboo games without pirating, but this is just saying "I'm not getting an XboxOne."

Combo that with the $899 price tag... I'm not the premier Microsoft person in the first place, considering the main draw for the PS3 for me was the region free feature. As in I could play those stupid Japanese weeaboo games without pirating, but this is just saying "I'm not getting an XboxOne."

Wait. 899 dollars?

Who the hell would pay that much for this? If I wanted a projector, I'll go to Target and get one for 199.

To summarize...

-Unspecified release date

-Gigantic vcr

-$900

-No used games, ever

-Sports, racing, and tv

-Weaker specs than ps4 by miles

-Possibly even weaker specs than WiiU (probably slightly better but I digress)

-No new gaming features (Key word: Gaming.)

---Do not buy---

I WAS an XBox guy before this reveal... I think its time to go Playstation.

Same.

I'm a little disappointed with the console.

First it's the worst looking console I've seen. It's just a fat, black block.

Additionally, it just doesn't feel like it's directed towards gamers at all. Sure, I'll say that the new Kinect functions are cool and all but... as a gamer I have no interest in watching ESPN or any of that other stuff.

I want to see features that will enhance my gaming experience instead of features that let me stay on the couch and not have to bother reaching for the remote :/

Is this even a gaming console? I honestly don't know, but by the looks of it, this is some tv/media box... thing.

I don't even know :l

Edit: Huh? $900? Where did you get that information? Source pls

On the topic of it's pricing, I have a feeling it's still going to be pretty high. Not only are you paying for the slab itself but you're also paying for the Kinect that no one will ever fucking use.

As of now, I prefer the PS4, however I'm not hyped for them or anything. They are both quite underwhelming to be honest.

They better show us something good at E3 that caters to us gamers.

Edited by Nintendan

For the record I'm currently not interested in buying an Xbox One, but am playing devil's advocate on the side of supporting Microsoft.

-No used games, ever

Listen to this to know what's been confirmed so far about used games and for discussion about downloading games.

I've been looking forward to digital sales affecting console games like PC games have been for years. PC games' prices drop very fast. A 3-month-old AAA release can be half or more off on sale.

On the topic of price, an online retailer leaked that without Kinect, the Xbox One would cost £400/$600 - which sounds to be more realistic than $900. But what is realistic is that Microsoft hasn't announced their price yet, and probably haven't settled on a final price yet.

Edited by BlueFire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-RqcwCombo that with the $899 price tag... I'm not the premier Microsoft person in the first place, considering the main draw for the PS3 for me was the region free feature. As in I could play those stupid Japanese weeaboo games without pirating, but this is just saying "I'm not getting an XboxOne."

This video has made my day.

Not sure what everyone's upset about. It's a gaming console. It will play games. It meets the base requirement of a gaming console. It does other stuff. That's just extra. Not sure if it's $900 worth of extra, but it's extra nonetheless. I guess I don't really understand what people want from a gaming console other than to play games on it. Anyways, people don't want to buy dedicated gaming machines any more. They want an all-in-one entertainment system. That's where consoles are heading (and have been since last gen.) If you're going to drop close to a grand on something, it better do $900 worth of stuff.

Again, what makes mods to FE roms illegal, and mods to regular games not? Can Nintendo prove that you didn't rip the file from your cartridge?

You don't actually buy the game: you pay your $60 for permision to use the game. Since you don't actually own it, you don't have any right to toy with it's code. Since Nintendo is giving you permission to use something that is theirs, they have full legal control over the terms those games are used. Not all companies are hard nosed about this: Fallout 3/NV and Elder Scrolls have a very strong modding community. In the strictest letter of the law though, you are taking someone else's intellectual property (the characters, the universe, the countries, the clothes, etc) and making changes to it without their permission. If they say you can't do that with their game, you have no legal leg to stand on. They have copyrighted (paid the government for legal protection of) their intellectual property which gives them full control over who can use their works and in what capcity.

Another way to think of it: letting a friend use your car (fully paid for). You own the car and they want to take it to the grocery store. You agree to let them use the car under those terms/conditions. If that person took the car whenever they felt like just because you said they could use it that one time, you might take issue with that. If they borrowed the car, and brought it back with a different coat of paint, added personalized decals, swapped upholstery for leather, and had hydraulics installed (all without your permission) because they wanted to customize the car to their own tastes, I'd imagine most of us here wouldn't be thrilled to find that. Not an exact comparison, I know; but it's the same idea.