SSB4 Newcomer Brainstorm Thread (Please Post Reasons Supporting Newcomers)

Randoman

In this thread, we discuss the newcomers that are likely to be in Smash Bros. while posting supporting reasons as to why they're likely. You are also free to argue against why you feel a character that someone else posted isn't likely, but please be nice about it.

Please, do not just post characters that you want in that aren't likely/eligible for Super Smash Bros. 4. At least not without explaining why you think they're likely to be in SSB4. Proof in the form of links isn't necessary, but would be recommended.

Also, try to be as unbiased as possible and look at the bigger picture. It's impossible to get rid of all bias, but at least try to support your evidence heavily with facts, patterns, and trends.

Sorry if I sound mean or harsh in the first few sentences, but I don't want people participating in the "SSB4 Newcomer Roster Bets" game to be fooled into thinking that someone's character wishlist is likely, just because it's posted in this thread without any reasons to support their newcomers. I'm making this thread so that everyone participating in the Bets game will be on even ground and won't have any knowledge advantages/disadvantages over other players. I mean, the game should be about who can guess the roster the best, not who knows about Nintendo and all the SSB4 news before the E3 reveal the best.

For SSB4, nothing concrete has been revealed. The only things Sakurai officially said about the roster is that he isn't focusing on newcomers heavily for this Smash Bros., he plans to revive old Nintendo characters, a Capcom character joining isn't completely out of the realm, and he doesn't want to bring in third party characters willy-nilly because the game will lose its focus. Bandai Namco is helping to develop Super Smash Bros. 4, though it doesn't particularly confim or disconfirm a newcomer from Namco or Bandai.

Going over roster rules/likely predictions before going into specific characters:

In order for a character to be eligible for Smash Bros. according to Sakurai:

1. They must have originated from a video game (so Goku, Naruto, and any characters who started off as anime/manga aren't allowed).

2. They must have had a game on a Nintendo console (so Master Chief, Kratos, Sackboy, and the like aren't allowed either).

Third party newcomers are likely only going to be limited to 2-3 due to Sakurai's post I linked to above and Brawl following those same rules about third parties. As a result, I don't think any third party series will be getting more than one character, or any third party company getting more than one character for that matter.

And I'm going over this just in case people don't know: a third party character/series is a character/series that isn't developed by Nintendo or any of it's departments like Hal Laboratories, Intelligent System, or Game Freak. So Kirby, Pikachu, and Marth aren't third parties, while Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man are.

Sakurai said that Smash Bros. 4 won't be as newcomer heavy as Melee (13 newcomers) or Brawl (15 newcomers), so Smash Bros. 4 will have less newcomers than those two. I'm personally guessing somewhere between 6-10 newcomers for SSB4.

As for what newcomers are likely as a result:

Megaman: Megaman was one of the most requested third parties back in the Brawl era, and both Nintendo and Capcom admitted publicly that they were waiting for the other to ask for Mega Man in Brawl. Even the director of Street Fighter (a Capcom fighting game franchise) admitted it would be wrong for a Street Fighter character to make it in before Megaman.

Takamaru: Sakurai posted that if another Nazo no Murasame-jou game came out, he'd put Takamaru in Smash Bros. Although he didn't get any new games in the pre-Melee or pre-Brawl era, Takamaru has had quite a few appearances after Brawl (Captain Rainbow which is a game that focuses on forgotten Nintendo character, Samurai Warriors 3 where he was a guest playable character and even had a game mode which played similarly to his original game, and Nintendo Land where his game is one of the 12 franchises chosen to represent Nintendo). Even though none of those are full fledged games, having relatively big appearances in 3 games should suffice. Plus, he's a retro Nintendo character, which makes it probable that Takamaru is one of the old Nintendo characters he plans to revive.

Chrom, Zoroark, 6th Gen Pokemon: Since Fire Emblem and Pokemon are games that keep getting new characters and casts and Melee and Brawl had at least one recent Pokemon and Fire Emblem character, it can be safe to assume that the same with hold true for SSB4. Chrom is the lead of FE13, the most recent installment, and all playable Fire Emblem leads have been main characters, so it's likely that he'll be chosen as a Fire Emblem rep. Zoroark was used heavily to promote the 5th Generation of Pokemon, similar to how Lucario was used to promote the 4th Gen, and both have had their own Pokemon movie, so it's likely that Zoroark will be in for similar reasons. Unless Sakurai has early access to the 6th Generation of Pokemon, in that case a 6th Gen Pokemon rep is more likely. Whether Super Smash Bros. 4 will include 6th Gen Pokemon or not is currently unknown, but the 4th Gen and Brawl were in a similar situation, and 4th Gen Pokemon did end up being in Brawl, so the same is likely to happen with Smash Bros. 4.

Shulk: Xenoblade Chronicles is a critically acclaimed RPG, had it's own petition that succesfully brought the game overseas (The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are in the same boat, but neither is as big as Xenoblade and neither has an announced sequel), is really big in Japan (as well as America and Europe, but to a slightly lesser extend) , and will be receiving a sequel for the Wii U, so I can see Xenoblade getting a rep, with Shulk being the most likely since he's the leading character.

Somewhat likely:

Toad: In Melee polls, he was the fourth most requested Mario character, being beaten by Bowser, Peach, and Wario in that order. The latter three made it in Smash Bros. later on, so perhaps in the same vein, Toad will be in Smash Bros. 4. He's also one of the few main Mario characters that hasn't been playable in Smash Bros. yet. Even though Toad is also a generic species, the same can be said for Yoshi or any Pokemon save Mewtwo, and Toad's prominence in the Mario series throughout its existance and its 30 years or so makes him more likely than any other Mario newcomer. Toad could also be a character used to represent the New Super Mario Bros. series, since Yellow and Blue Toads were playable and the games had new moves and powers like Ice Balls, Propellor Hats, and Squirrel Wings that likely won't be transferred to Mario or Luigi, due to movesets staying around 90% similar throughout the series. Also, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 had costumes of Nintendo characters available for the Tekken cast. Tekken is a fighting game series developed by Bandai Namco, the same people developing SSB4. A lot of Nintendo character costumes, such as Mario, Luigi, Link, and Fox, were available. Even characters that are mostly only popular from Smash Bros., such as Captain Falcon, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus, had their own costumes. The only Nintendo character who had a costume that hasn't been playable in Smash Bros. yet is Toad, which may imply his inclusion in SSB4.

Pac Man: Since Bandai Namco is co-developing Smash Bros. 4, and Sonic and Snake were third parties in Brawl and arguably the mascots to their companies, Sega and Konami respectively, it's somewhat likely that Pac Man will be in. He's also iconic and synonymous with Namco, and Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, F-Zero, Pikmin, and many other Nintendo franchises, who also helps heavily with the production of the Smash Bros. series, actually has Pac Man as his #1 favourite game character. Pac Man also has a 3D platforming game coming out specifically for the Wii U and 3DS, with the playing style being in the vein of the Pac Man World Trilogy while combining it with the classic Pac Man arcade game feel. Pac Man has also had a very long history with Nintendo, increasing his likeliness. Although it's somewhat doubtful that the demand for Pac Man will be high enough for his inclusion, since even if he is iconic, his prevalence in the last decade or so has been rather weak.

Ooh, I'll jump in this thread! Though, I only have one idea so far.

Ghirahim: This guy is really popular and a major villain in the most recent Zelda title, Skyward Sword. He'd be unique and have an interesting moveset and fighting style as well. He'd also be a nice contrast to Ganondorf. Ganondorf would be the slow and heavy powerhouse while Ghirahim would be much lighter, faster, but weaker guy. Heck, Ghirahim might even replace Ganondorf outright because the latter hasn't had much significance to the series lately. The last two Zelda titles, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, did not feature him at all.

Also, I agree on Chrom for the reasons you stated, Rando.

Edited by Anacybele

Awesome! Okay, here we go, here'd be my list:

Chrom, Shulk, Zoroark, Takamaru, Mega Man, and Pac-Man, for the reasons already listed.

Palutena: With the success of Kid Icarus: Uprising, Palutena has gained a lot of popularity, and with good reason. Play the game and you'll see why. I really doubt they're going to leave Pit all by himself to represent his series, not with the success of the revival of the series. Palutena and Medusa are the two most likely choices to represent KI along with Pit, but I think Palutena beats out Medusa by a small margin.

Toon Zelda/Tetra: They were originally planned to be in Brawl, but were cut out. If they keep Toon Link (which I'm fairly certain they will due to Wind Waker HD coming out soon), then I'd be willing to bed they'd add her into Smash 4.

King K. Rool: He's the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, he'll be put in eventually! Need I say more?

Lyn: Okay, this one is probably less likely and a bit of a stretch. But hear me out, I think Lyn has got a chance! I really think that Fire Emblem will get four representatives in Smash 4, Awakening's success will help that I think, and I remember hearing somewhere that Sakurai is a fan of FE (not 100% certain on that?). Lyn was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, so in the Smash Bros. games she's obviously held in higher regard than the other two protagonists of her game, Eliwood and Hector. I think she makes the most sense to be that fourth representative (if FE really does get four), I think she'd beat out Lucina and Micaiah (the only other two whom I could see taking that fourth spot), Lucina because they'll most definitely add Chrom, and Micaiah because I think she'd be overshadowed by Ike (even if Ike didn't return).

I'm sorry, there is one I forgot...

Second Generation Pokemon Trainer: I think it's likely that they'll add another PT to the mix, and since they started with Gen 1 (of course) then Gen 2 seems like the best next step! If I had to guess which Pokemon Gen 2 Trainer would use, I'd say Feraligatr, Quilava, and Chikorita.

Ridley: I don't see why he isn't already in the game (and don't give me any of that "he's too big" crap, because Bowser is often portrayed as being many times bigger than Mario, and yet he made it in). As for why, he's the only Metroid character that regularly appears in the Metroid franchise, other than Samus Aran herself, and is the best candidate for a second Metroid representative.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'll second Ridley, why he hasn't been included yet is beyond me, seeing as how he's the only major Nintendo antagonist not appearing in Smash Bros (as a playable character.)

Lucina: probably the only other character that can be brought out of Awakening, I'd see them choosing Lucina over Chrom in order to boost the female cast, plus she can have a more unique play style, like throwing javelins and such.

Leon S. Keneddy: I don't think he's too out of the radar seeing how Snake got into the game despite being such a mature character, and only having three games, two being remakes, on Nintendo consoles. Resident Evil 4 was a hit on the GameCube, and still a highly rated game. More Resident Evil games have been on Nintendo consoles than MGS as well. He's Capcom, he's iconic, and if Chrom was in SSB4, then they could hit two birds with one stone in the voice acting department. He can wield a knife as his weapon if guns weren't allowed. Actually, he's not a bad option now that I think about it.

Wario's in there, so Waluigi should be there too. Remember people, this is Nintendo's game god dammit not Square Enix. Let's not have the roster flooded with annoying pseudo-realistic anime characters(except for Marth, he's aweomse) or realistic additions that have no business being there(like snake). Eh, Nintendo?

Hudson has the rights to Bomberman, and is the company responsible for the first 8 Mario Party games. Bomberman's inclusion is likely if someone in those companies actually remembers the guy, or if Hudson continues to support Nintendo. Since Mario Party 9 wasn't actually developed by Hudson soft, there may be a problem there.

Chrom's definitely gonna be in SSB4 whether I like it or not. He's still a dickhead.

Pokemon's trainer's very likely to make a return, but I think they'll skip Generation 2, because Gen 2's starters weren't very memorable. Everybody remembers Charizard. Everybody lieks mudkips. What the hell is a Totodial?

Megaman

His name is "Mega Man", not "Silverman" or "John Q. Spiderman"

Felix of Golden Sun fame. A Nintendo series which got a musical remix and an assist trophy of Issac already . Felix of the Lost Age is the more popular of the 3 main heroes of the Golden Sun series so it would be natural to have him be the playable representative.

Lloyd Irving

Main character of ToS. I support him becase I like his game and I think he has a lot of interesting moveset potential. I also think he'd be a way more interesting "Namco rep" than Pac-Man would.

Ridley, because Ridley. Dude's a giant purple space dragon, and the main/most recurring antagonist in the Metroid series. It's about time he got his due.

Takamaru

IDK why, but there's just something about this guy I really like. It also seems like Nintendo has been testing the waters for how people react to him in the past years, so it looks like they might have plans for him in the future.

I have other characters I support that I can't quite explain why I support them(K. Rool, Little Mac, Saki) and some characters I support that are really unlikely(Bandana Dee, Bomberman, the Avatar).

I second Lloyd Irving because if any one is going to be a Namco representative it is Lloyd or another Tales protagonist. Also, he's cool as f***, and he got into Soul Calibur like Link; why wouldn't he get in? I am terribly biased towards the Tales Series...

I believe that Krystal from Starfox will get in because we need more female reps and she's absolutely perfect for it! And she won't be another Fox/Falco clone because she has her Staff and its abilities at her disposal; she could also utilize some firearms with her staff fighting, but I think the emphasis would be the staff.

I'd also say Chrom or Lucina, with Lucina being my preferred for more female reps, but admittedly Chrom seems more likely (still a win-win for me either way though).

Takemaru: Well Sakurai did say he wanted to revive old franchises murasame's castle seems like a good place to start.

Shulk: Considering thier was a huge demand for Xenoblade Chronicles the game a charatcer from Xenoblade isn't far off.

Chrom: Hero of the latest Fire Emblem game seems to be a trend that's going to continue.

Lucina: Not as a character of her own right unfortunetly but rather a unique DLC costume for Marth with her voice and attire.

Kyrastal: Need more Females that aren't royalty or Samus and could have versitale moveset.

Palutena: I'd be shocked if Kid Icarus didn't get a second character rep and she seems to have the advantage of being a magic user that we seem to lack for some reason.

Waluigi: U no like him? Too bad Waluigi time. In all seriousness he's probably going to use a mario sports useset if he does get in and I know it's going to be amazing.

King K. Rool: He's the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, he'll be put in eventually! Need I say more?

Pokemon trainer of Gen 2 or above: Not well versed in pokemon myself I can't say which gen they'll add but acknowledging the other pokemon generations seems to be reasonable Even if something akin to my Lucina idea.

Lyndis: Just because She's my fav Elibe hero(ine) and I have her moveset all thought out in my head.

Ridley: Though with MOM being a flop on top of being a crap he's not as likely as expected. Still think he'll be in though.

Mii: Becuase Wii know that U (as in you the person reading this) and myself would love to have our mii beat up someone like Jigglypuff

Lloyd Irving: Stateside at least, his games have been Nintendo exculsive and has a potentially interesting moveset.

I think that should be enough characters for SSB4

Edited by ShinRPGamer

Wario's in there, so Waluigi should be there too. Remember people, this is Nintendo's game god dammit not Square Enix. Let's not have the roster flooded with annoying pseudo-realistic anime characters(except for Marth, he's aweomse) or realistic additions that have no business being there(like snake). Eh, Nintendo?

Hudson has the rights to Bomberman, and is the company responsible for the first 8 Mario Party games. Bomberman's inclusion is likely if someone in those companies actually remembers the guy, or if Hudson continues to support Nintendo. Since Mario Party 9 wasn't actually developed by Hudson soft, there may be a problem there.

Chrom's definitely gonna be in SSB4 whether I like it or not. He's still a dickhead.

Pokemon's trainer's very likely to make a return, but I think they'll skip Generation 2, because Gen 2's starters weren't very memorable. Everybody remembers Charizard. Everybody lieks mudkips. What the hell is a Totodial?

His name is "Mega Man", not "Silverman" or "John Q. Spiderman"

Wut? :wtf: That was my first starter ever... :cry:

Takemaru: Well Sakurai did say he wanted to revive old franchises murasame's castle seems like a good place to start.

Shulk: Considering thier was a huge demand for Xenoblade Chronicles the game a charatcer from Xenoblade isn't far off.

Chrom: Hero of the latest Fire Emblem game seems to be a trend that's going to continue.

Lucina: Not as a character of her own right unfortunetly but rather a unique DLC costume for Marth with her voice and attire.

Kyrastal: Need more Females that aren't royalty or Samus and could have versitale moveset.

Palutena: I'd be shocked if Kid Icarus didn't get a second character rep and she seems to have the advantage of being a magic user that we seem to lack for some reason.

Waluigi: U no like him? Too bad Waluigi time. In all seriousness he's probably going to use a mario sports useset if he does get in and I know it's going to be amazing.

Pokemon trainer of Gen 2 or above: Not well versed in pokemon myself I can't say which gen they'll add but acknowledging the other pokemon generations seems to be reasonable Even if something akin to my Lucina idea.

Lyndis: Just because She's my fav Elibe hero(ine) and I have her moveset all thought out in my head.

Ridley: Though with MOM being a flop on top of being a crap he's not as likely as expected. Still think he'll be in though.

Mii: Becuase Wii know that U (as in you the person reading this) and myself would love to have our mii beat up someone like Jigglypuff

Lloyd Irving: Stateside at least, his games have been Nintendo exculsive and has a potentially interesting moveset.

I think that should be enough characters for SSB4

I believe we've said the exact same thing :P:

How DARE you sir

Ten of thousands of curses

Wut? :wtf: That was my first starter ever... :cry:

None of the Gen 2 starters had any kind of huge widespread popularity. Gen 3 had Blaziken who was a big favorite, and the Midkipz meme. Gen 1 had Charizard, the second most well-known pokemon in humanity. (That's not including the possible Jigglypuff, who nobody actually likes but me).

Actually, gen 3 starter's not a bad idea. Blaziken is an awesome Pokemon all around, and fire kicks and fists would make any character in a fighting game. Mudkip is of course a meme, everyone would get a giggle just playing as him, and Grovyle would make a cool nod to the Mystery Dungeon series. If they plan on releasing a gen 3 remake anytime soon, it'd be hard for them to miss this opurtunity.

Has anyone considered Link to the Past Link? Seeing as the new one is coming soon, and Toon Link is out of date now.

Actually, gen 3 starter's not a bad idea. Blaziken is an awesome Pokemon all around, and fire kicks and fists would make any character in a fighting game. Mudkip is of course a meme, everyone would get a giggle just playing as him, and Grovyle would make a cool nod to the Mystery Dungeon series. If they plan on releasing a gen 3 remake anytime soon, it'd be hard for them to miss this opurtunity.

Has anyone considered Link to the Past Link? Seeing as the new one is coming soon, and Toon Link is out of date now.

You forget Wind Waker HD is around the corner. Which I think is the one thing that will keep Toon Link in the game. Also Toon Link has been in the most Zelda games at this point if I recall.

Edited by Jedi

Eh... quite a few posted characters don't really seem all that likely. But at least everyone is posting reasons why they think their posted character is likely.

Also, keep in mind this isn't the official bets thread yet. This is a preliminary thread to give people participating in the official bets thread an idea as to who will be in SSB4, so people aren't disadvantaged in the betting game by not being familiar with the various game series that will/may be represented in SSB4.

To add to the list of newcomers that might be in, anybody thinking they might add any Nintendo eShop reps like Mallo and Dillon? I likely wouldn't bet on them in the official bets thread (even though both characters have 2 games each), personally, but perhaps similarly to how Ice Climbers represented the NES era, they could have a general rep for 1st party eShop games?

How DARE you sir

Ten of thousands of curses

None of the Gen 2 starters had any kind of huge widespread popularity. Gen 3 had Blaziken who was a big favorite, and the Midkipz meme. Gen 1 had Charizard, the second most well-known pokemon in humanity. (That's not including the possible Jigglypuff, who nobody actually likes but me).

Eh... Not so sure about that. But to each their own.

Eh... quite a few posted characters don't really seem all that likely. But at least everyone is posting reasons why they think their posted character is likely.

Also, keep in mind this isn't the official bets thread yet. This is a preliminary thread to give people participating in the official bets thread an idea as to who will be in SSB4, so people aren't disadvantaged in the betting game by not being familiar with the various game series that will/may be represented in SSB4.

To add to the list of newcomers that might be in, anybody thinking they might add any Nintendo eShop reps like Mallo and Dillon? I likely wouldn't bet on them in the official bets thread (even though both characters have 2 games each), personally, but perhaps similarly to how Ice Climbers represented the NES era, they could have a general rep for 1st party eShop games?

Right-y-oh :P: I try to set aside bias for any character I want and be realistic, I think I've done fairly well so far, but probably not as well as I could be doing.

Just because I said Leon S. Keneddy doesn't mean I think he will be one of my bets, I simply want to bring up a few characters that do have a chance of getting in, even if it's slim, and I'll decide on my bets when I see the list we've come up with. I'm only sure on one bet right now, I'm still thinking.

Edited by Knight

Don't let my doubts discourage you. If you really feel that your listed characters are likely for SSB4, then that's all that matters. Besides, the only way we'll find out for sure who's right is when they start showing SSB4 characters.

And Knight, you do bring up a good point about pointing out possible characters, even though they aren't likely. After all, it is up to everyone else joining the game to decide which characters are likely or not.

Anyways, if anyone has anymore SSB4 newcomers they want to bring up, it's best to do so now since bets will be starting within a day or less.

I think the Chrono series could use some representation. I'd personally pick Serge, but he was on the Playstation and Crono is more popular. I can't be the only one who thinks Luminaire would be an awesome final smash. :):

EDIT: On second thought, a triple tech would make a cool final smash too. Lucca and Marle could pop in and do their triple tech with Crono (can't remember what it was).

Edited by Big Daddv

Hmm. . . are we still using this thread?

In any case, I was reminded of one contender I don't think anyone's mentioned yet. There's a pretty cult JRPG that was Japan-only until last year, I believe, called The Last Story. Anyway, the player character in that game is called Zael, and I think he's got a fair shot at a seat in SSB4 because of the Western popularity of Last Story and the large Japanese following. In terms of his chances, I'd say he's in about the same niche as Shulk.

Edited by Green Poet