Question about playing older games?

Download a SNES Emulator, just a quick google, and then google for the ROM, if you don't know how to patch, you can look for a pre patched download. Then just open the emulator, and select the ROM from wherever you placed it. You can change controls on your keyboard or controller in settings, most good emulators support it.

I don't think there's a translation with the official names yet, you'll almost certainly get fan names. I use SNES9x as my choice of emulator, it works fine, but I play ROMs on my Mac, I'm not entirely sure how this emulator would work on PC, but I'm sure it would be fine if not better. You don't need a super powerful PC, but a newer model would work better than an older one. As for the ROMs themselves, I don't think I'm the one to talk about that, that's the illegal part. I haven't had any problems with anything I've downloaded, but I probably use a quite different computer. You shouldn't need anything but the ROM and Emulator to start playing, however there are tools you can use to patch games if you wish to, I think there's a page on the main site that can help you through that.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6#instruct

Edited by Knight

FE4 has a patch with the official names that were given out in Awakening. You can find the patch here.

Warning: We're still testing it so there might still be text errors lurking somewhere. There's been no glitch so far that would cause any problems for playablity.

I'm currently using an emulator (ZSNES) and ROM to play Holy War on an HP PC (I hate macs), and it works perfectly fine. I'm also using the aforementioned official name test patch and have encountered no glitches or problems thus far (and I plan to re-download the completed project once it's done); just follow the patching instructions and you should be able to both play and understand the game.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Well is there anything specific I should use? Will it crash my laptop? Will I get the official names or just weird fan names? How do I download them, is there other things I have to get first?

As if the official names are any less weirder : P

Ced? Larcei? Ulster?

Edited by VincentASM

With the last versions of both SNES9x and ZSNES, files are auto-patched so you don't need any extra tools. All you have to do is keep the rom (.smc) and the patch (.ips) on the same folder and make sure both files have the same name (i.e. "fe4.smc" and "fe4.ips"), then run the smc file on the emulator. It should play in English without any issues.