SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I think the fact that they're releasing the GC controller adapter is because they know that many Smash fans need something like this or they just won't buy the game.

And we know how much the community loves their GC controllers.

And knowing how some third party adapters are... it's good that Nintendo's taking the initiative on that at least.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they don't make anymore. Personally, I would've preferred that the adapter wasn't even made because they really need to promote the Wii U Gamepad and stuff. And the Wii U Pro controller could've functioned like a GC controller just fine, I bet.

The GC controller was good, but the times have moved on. Like a lot. Nobody is going to be interested in trying the Gamepad for anything if they can just go back to old stuff all the time. And right now, there aren't really any Wii U titles that make a lot of real use of it.

are you KIDDING?

"they really need to promote the pro controller"

the pro controller has had plenty of time to be promoted. forgoing a whole controller scheme (and one better received, too) for that sole reason isn't a good move.

"the times have moved on"

what the heck is this supposed to mean? are we supposed to abandon the controllers we prefer just because they were made a long time ago? that's ridiculous. if the controller is better (which it actually is), there's no reason not to use it.

"nobody is going to use the gamepad"

okay, something accurate now. well, of course, because there isn't anything that can really take advantage of something as awkward as that. there are some exceptions of course, as there always are exceptions, like super mario bros u, as you said earlier.

as to why the controller itself is better, the gamecube is wired, while the pro is wireless. the wireless connections can get really annoying and cause interference with other controllers. the gamecube controller also has a great control scheme. while the other controllers also have good control schemes, they still have the said wireless issue and some people like the scheme of the gamecube controller more anyway.

Edited by Comet

For the most part, the Wii U gamepad feels more like a "luxury item" being forced to be used on the Wii U in general.

You can do some pretty nifty and cool things with it, but technology won't move on unless people take a liking to it.

It has that feel of a "bulky gimmick" with that screen.

The Virtual Boy rings a bell.

And there will be flops like that.

It's just that Smash is such a tradition heavy game when it comes to what people are comfortable with that the general reaction would be "WTF is the purpose of the gamepad" in a game like this.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm not denying that Smash is a game that the GC controller works well with. I'm just saying that the Wii U Gamepad can be useful too. Its touch screen can be used in the stage builder to move parts around or in the trophy gallery to make little scenes like you could in Brawl. Or arrange your sticker book if stickers come back. Or stuff that Sakurai hasn't even shown us. You could probably do it with a GC controller too, but I find this stuff is easier with a stylus.

And if someone wants to use the TV, you can look at the second screen like I said earlier. No need to turn it off in the middle of a match.

But no one's going to realize this if they stick with the GC controller.

I'm not denying that Smash is a game that the GC controller works well with. I'm just saying that the Wii U Gamepad can be useful too. Its touch screen can be used in the stage builder to move parts around or in the trophy gallery to make little scenes like you could in Brawl. Or arrange your sticker book if stickers come back. Or stuff that Sakurai hasn't even shown us. You could probably do it with a GC controller too, but I find this stuff is easier with a stylus.

And if someone wants to use the TV, you can look at the second screen like I said earlier. No need to turn it off in the middle of a match.

But no one's going to realize this if they stick with the GC controller.

this is extremely niche for a side feature in a fighting game.

Um...? I don't understand?

I thought the stage builder and trophy collection were huge things in Smash. Sure, the stage builder has only been in Brawl so far, but it was really liked. It just needs an upgrade. xP

I wonder if the reason some of the big pro players aren't participating is because of the items on thing?

Also: aMSa, but no Yoshi?

I hope they don't make anymore. Personally, I would've preferred that the adapter wasn't even made because they really need to promote the Wii U Gamepad and stuff. And the Wii U Pro controller could've functioned like a GC controller just fine, I bet.

The GC controller was good, but the times have moved on. Like a lot. Nobody is going to be interested in trying the Gamepad for anything if they can just go back to old stuff all the time. And right now, there aren't really any Wii U titles that make a lot of real use of it.

People want options, you know. Don't be like the people that

I thought that something like stage control or something could be utilized with the gamepad, with a player controlling hazards and obstacles, maybe releasing the Smash Ball when he/she sees fit.

74394b90ee4c6ff3f96d1716b365906d.png

Pic of the day. You can charge up Ike's Eruption attack by holding the button down, but remember to release it right before it fully charges to avoid recoil damage. Let go of the button at the moment the sword shines!

Nice. :D

Nice. I recall being able to defeat Tabuu without taking hits from him in Boss Battles on Hard or higher with only a few characters, and it's definitely not an easy feat due to having to figure out what attack he's doing then dodging accordingly in such a small amount of time.

Marth is the only character I was able to defeat Boss Battles on Intense with, due to his counter being a lifesaver and Marth being very mobile and fast.

Taboo being easy to solo with R.O.B for me.

:facepalm:

Eruption? STILL? The hell, Sakurai. I really thought you'd be smart this time and give Ike Ragnell's shockwave instead. There goes some of my hype for Ike.

But...the shockwave attack is just so horribly difficult to program into the game. x.x

I think there's a split second or two where the shield doesn't appear.

Plenty of characters have gotten moveset changes. Charizard, Zelda, Sheik, ZSS, Luigi, Lucario, and as you point out, Mario got a new move in Brawl. There's no reason Ike can't be allowed to.

Lucario had his Mega form added. Luigi got a new Final Smash.

And that aesthetic round shape is probably the shield.

I'm glad that the old characters are getting new moves as the game woud be dull as dirt if they didn't.

I would say those changes in Lucario and Luigi's Final Smashes make sense, since their originals really felt like Sakurai tagged them on in a rushed manner. At least, the new Final Smashes are now actually recognizable moves from their respective games.

What sucks about Ike retaining Eruption and red fire is that it seems to lower Roy's chances of returning even more.

It's to be expected.
Chrom may not have a chance to make it either. Mewtwo is surely not going to return either since Sceptile is likely going to make the cut over him.

Not only that, a lot of the characters animation and movesets weren't changed. Maybe one or two moves were adjusted a bit but nothing more. Luigi's only biggest change is his jump animation and he probably had small tweaks but nothing more.

Sakurai did say the majority of the coding was just ported over from brawl with small adjustments and tweaks. You're not going to see insane drastic changes for every single character in their default movesets. If you're expecting a complete makeover for character animations and movesets just because they look asthetically different, you're going to be in for a disappointment.

I personally wouldn't even be surprised if Ike had the exact same moveset like in Brawl but only a few speed and tweaking balance changes. Nothing more.

Not worth putting extra work toward a character that isn't as popular as the Mario and Pokemon characters.

If Ike's Eruption were removed in place of his shockwave, he loses the one thing about the move that makes it easier to get: the invulnerability. And if said shockwave had the same power as Eruption, he'd be broken as fuck

That's what we want. Makes up for his slow speed. Should make that his final smash, ...or he would be too cheap. Just like they made Olimar broken with his final smash from brawl as it is impossible to avoid. You will be instantly be put out of commission whenever he uses it.

Oh, THAT. You're right, I forgot about that part.

But if Ike got the shockwave, he'd gain a projectile which could open up better options for him. It doesn't need to be as fast an attack as in his games, it could be dumbed down a little like Aether was so it isn't completely broken.

Ike works best when he can get a move in before his opponent does due to his range being bigger than many other characters thanks to Ragnell's large size. But since he's slow, he has trouble doing that. The shockwave could've helped.

Shockwave could just do regular damage and not push someone away while taking damage. Push away should be for his Final Smash only, ...or he'd be too cheap.

The following characters are playable at the tournament (and probably the Best Buy E3 Demo as well):

Mario

Donkey Kong

Link

Samus

Kirby

Fox

Pikachu

Bowser

Zelda

Marth

Pit

Zero Suit Samus

Olimar

Sonic

Villager

Mega Man

Wii Fit Trainer

Rosalina

Little Mac

Greninja

I'm not sure if that's the whole playable tourney roster or if they'll be adding the shown E3 2014 newcomers once they're revealed.

So I guess Mario, Marth, and Rosalina are the characters I'll be really looking forward to trying out at the demo, then. I'm really wanting to see how they've powered up Bowser as well. I'll probably give Greninja a try as well.

And I guess it goes without saying that the demo roster shinpichu posted is fake. It's a shame I won't be able to try out Luigi and Lucario like I wanted to, but at least I've got Rosalina.

I'm glad to see Ken being a participant in the tournament. He always seemed like a cool and nice guy. And I'm glad to see that Mew2King isn't in the tournament. Knowing him, he'd probably be way too critical of SSB4 towards Nintendo's staff and quite ungrateful for even being invited to the event due to SSB4's physics "not being Melee's." He'd probably also troll, sandbag, and purposely lose matches, knowing him and his past records (especially during the "play against the tournament winner" matches if he happened to win the entire tournament). I'm quite suprised PC Chris and ChuDat aren't in (specifically the former, since he did beat out Ken for quite a while as the best Melee player), but I'm just happy they have Ken participating.

On a side note, I don't follow the tournament scene and tournament players heavily, so if Mew2King, PC Chris, or ChuDat has changed their tourney names or something, please tell me.

All challenges that are Boss Battles related can't be smashed with a Gold Hammer. The Crazy Hand trophy also can't be unlocked with a Gold Hammer, despite it being unlocked by Intense Classic Mode and not Boss Battles. Those are the only ones that I recall not being Gold Hammer smashable. Strangely, supposedly the PAL version has all windows as Gold Hammer Smashable, even the Boss Battles related ones.

I remember resorting to the Charizard Rock Smash strategy for Intense Boss Battles, until I realized his slowness was really bad in terms of dodging the bosses attacks and Charizard's attacks and movement being way too laggy.

I resorted to the two alloy strategy as well. Though I personally used R.O.B. since he could jetpack around and underneath the stage to buy time.

Worth it to try out for Little Mac.

But...to only play for five minutes that will probably have a line for at the store. -.-

Yeeeeeees, GCN controller adapter. Good move, Nintendo, good move.

Good.
That settled will make it a wondeful experience.

Yeah bringing the GCN controller back was NOT a waste.

Who cares if the times moved on? The GCN got shit done right, unlike the Wii U.

^

-----

Sakurai also confirmed that Ridley won't make the cut because he's too big.
Edited by Barbie

“Call me a killjoy, but I think that because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it.” - Marge Simpson

I don't know how can people be against this. I really don't. I guess some people really want less options.

YES ROSALINA IN THE DEMO!

and Gamecube controller support holy crap holy crap holy crap

Sakurai, have my pay check.

YES ROSALINA IN THE DEMO!

and Gamecube controller support holy crap holy crap holy crap

Sakurai, have my pay check.

It proves that 50 slots pic wrong then for sure.

Yeah I'm just as hyped for GC controller familiarity

Eruption being back is a fair bit disappointing

Would a good energy blast of Ragnell goodness be too much to ask for? ;~;

So where would the stock counter show up in stock battles in the 3DS version? (a.k.a. the life icons that shows how many times you can die before sitting the match out)

Probably between the player# and the percentage counter

Probably between the player# and the percentage counter

I don't think so. Sakurai said that your name will appear there, so probably like those nickname things you could have had since Melee. I think it just might be at the very bottom of the character portrait, right above the character's name.

Oh, interesting bit about the 3DS version! I'm kind of more interested in it now! I'll still play the Wii U version more though, because bigger screen and classic Smash experience and all.

Also, people who were expecting Wario today got their hopes up way too high. We JUST got Ike and E3 is right around the corner. I knew it wasn't going to happen. Ike was to relieve the many Ike fans out there (and possibly shut up the idiots claiming that Chrom would replace him), and get us more psyched for E3 since we now have a character that hasn't been seen in actual gameplay footage yet. And Sakurai isn't following game releases and anniversaries anymore. Mario Kart is hardly a really notable appearance for Wario anyway. Now if he was getting a new game in his actual series, then I could see some basis for him, but still.

Yet so many people on Miiverse were going WARIO TOMORROW. >.>

To be fair, there was a few people including yourself expecting Ike over things like Europe's release date of Path of Radiance, the Smash Bros Direct and I think the anniversary of one of the Tellius games, not sure which. Just let people have their own hopes and expectations, there's nothing wrong with that. If they get disappointed, oh well; just let them.

Yeah, but that was before Sakurai stopped following the release dates and stuff and before E3 was right around the corner. If Ike's anniversary was now, I wouldn't have had such high expectations for it. I myself didn't actually expect anymore characters until E3. Ike was just the most amazing surprise (and late birthday present) EVAR. :P

Edited by Anacybele