SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

To be fair, there's no such evidence that Sakurai ever "stopped" doing the whole "reveal characters on important dates" things because it was never a sure thing Sakurai did. He did it on occasion, but several characters weren't revealed on timed dates and several important game releases didn't get a corresponding Smash update. You may presume Sakurai "stopped" doing that, but there's really no argument or evidence to back it up.

People believed Wario was to be revealed on the release of MK8 because there was precedent to it, but nobody truly believed it absolutely HAD to happen.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that the GC adapter is being made because I need new GameCube controllers. Last night I was playing Super Mario Sunshine and almost broke my last working controller...

To be fair, there's no such evidence that Sakurai ever "stopped" doing the whole "reveal characters on important dates" things because it was never a sure thing Sakurai did. He did it on occasion, but several characters weren't revealed on timed dates and several important game releases didn't get a corresponding Smash update. You may presume Sakurai "stopped" doing that, but there's really no argument or evidence to back it up.

People believed Wario was to be revealed on the release of MK8 because there was precedent to it, but nobody truly believed it absolutely HAD to happen.

Well, yeah, you do have a point there. Some people still seemed a little too bent on Wario coming today though, if you ask me. :P

By the way, this one guy on Miiverse pointed out something odd about yesterday's pic of the day with Ike about to sick Eruption on Mario. He said Mario was positioned like he would be if he was tripping, which meant tripping is back. I said that Sakurai said this was gone, but the guy said he might've changed his mind.

I hope he didn't, I'd kinda rather not have random tripping...

By the way, this one guy on Miiverse pointed out something odd about yesterday's pic of the day with Ike about to sick Eruption on Mario. He said Mario was positioned like he would be if he was tripping, which meant tripping is back. I said that Sakurai said this was gone, but the guy said he might've changed his mind.

I forget, does Smash Bros. have momentum? If it does, it might just have been the moment when Mario was stopped dead in his tracks, set to run off in the other direction from the joystick being switched to the opposite direction.

Well, yeah, you do have a point there. Some people still seemed a little too bent on Wario coming today though, if you ask me. :P

or maybe he was going back to the animation of laying on the ground if he were not to tech.

You really shouldn't believe everything you see on miiverse.

...really, just like you shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet.

Who I said I believe this guy? I don't want to believe him. But Mario did look like he was about to fall over.

Comet: Yeah, I would think that it's something else. Sakurai knows full well that pretty much everyone in the Smash fandom hated the tripping.

Tripping is not back. Sakurai explicitly stated this. He would not just "change his mind" and bring it back. Doing so would be incredibly dumb on multiple levels.

There's no reason to put any stock in some random dude thinking Mario "looks like he might be tripping."

Tripping was such a bullshit mechanic. Like, honestly, in a game like Smash where maintaining a fast pace is everything in competitive play, tripping just serves to make it harder to actually execute, which is an idiotic way of adding fake difficulty in a fighting game.

Also, am I the only one who'd like items such as the Fire Flower to have a tiny meter above the user's damage counter to see just how much you have left? For stuff that depends on number of uses, like the Beam Sword or the Home Run Bat, have a little fraction above it to indicate the number of swings left (this might be a bit more practical, but a little more obstructive if implemented).

Tripping has saved me from being KO'ed on numerous occasions (invincibility frames FTW!).

That's just luck, and that's another thing that makes it a bullshit mechanic. Fighting games should not be luck-based in any way, no matter how small.

Items can be strategic if used properly, though. There is a degree of strategy and execution involved in getting the most out of an item. Tripping's just an idiotic mechanic made to fuck with the people coming from Melee.

Edited by Polydeuces

I hated tripping, so much.

Items on the other hand, are okay. But some of the assist trophies are extremely annoying. I thought the Nintendog was so dumb and unnecessary. Same goes for that mole thing... Resetti(?). I'm just not sure how Rosalina's gravitational pull (move) will do on stage.

Ugh, Resetti was the WORST assist trophy EVER. >_<

But yeah, I didn't think tripping was coming back, I just wanted to make sure just in case.

I think Mario in that was just doing a side-step dodge. I think I remember characters like Mario and Luigi would make an "oh no!" face when they side-stepped. I may be wrong, and if I am it doesn't matter that much, but since he seems to be going into the background, it's probably the side-step.

I liked Resetti though ;o;

Then again I'm also one of those weird people

I wonder if they plan on bringing him back as an assist with Isabelle being confirmed as an assist? I hope so, even if no one else seems to like him much. :c

I liked Resetti though ;o;

Then again I'm also one of those weird people

I wonder if they plan on bringing him back as an assist with Isabelle being confirmed as an assist? I hope so, even if no one else seems to like him much. :c

Isabelle is confirmed as an assist trophy.

I'm most hyped for the Smash stuff (and Zelda Wii U)! But all I REALLY hope to see in the Smash bit is stage builder and Ike footage. Anything Ike! I just wanna see him kicking some ass. :3 Especially if it's some GREAT...AETHERRR!! (even better if it's in blue fire or we can make it have blue fire via the customizable moveset stuff :D)

screw ssb4, me only want XENOBLADE :smug:

Actually, I've been wondering if they'll introduce any 3rd Gen pokemon to the playable roster due to AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby coming soon, or will it be: "who cares"

If possible, what pokemon would you think could make it? Or what pokemon would you like to see there?

who cares if we have tons of pokemons anyway jk 8D

Edited by Quintessence

Isabelle is confirmed as an assist trophy.

I know that though. I was wondering if Resetti would be brought back even though we already have a confirmed assist from Animal Crossing. Sorry if the wording was confusing or something. :<