SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I also consider Yoshi to be a Mario rep since unlike Wario, he actually still appears in main-stream Mario games today as the sidekick/mount.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly when it comes to unpredictability... just looking back from this thread's early stages...

さすが桜井。

SASUGA NEEEE.

All hail king and director of unpredictability.

>"Chrom wouldn't bring anything new to smash, he is just another boring blue haired sword user!"

>Lucina gets in

>Her moveset is a direct copy of Marth's

>Lucina is celebrated

I can't be the only one simply baffled by the hypocrisy of this turn of events.

Basically all of the characters that have ever been called clones, whether the comparison is apt or not, have still ended up playing very differently. (yes, even melee Fox and Falco, and Mario and Dr. Mario. especially melee Fox and Falco, the differences in what they actually are supposed to do if you know what you're doing are pretty significant, though still not too hard to learn if you've experience with one)

I'd like if they'd call em fraternal twins

And they can actually make me kinda excited. I like seeing what different takes on similar movesets can do to differentiate their playstyles. I'm eager to see what people do with Lucina and Marth once the game comes out

(and it's not like they haven't been around since literally the beginning of fighting games)

(pushes up rimlenseless glasses, snorts)

>"Chrom wouldn't bring anything new to smash, he is just another boring blue haired sword user!"

>Lucina gets in

>Lucina is celebrated

sdL50.jpg

Edited by Rehab

Carter, don't worry, there's also that other rumor I mentioned awhile back which can still be legit. The one saying that Snake, ROB, and Pokemon Trainer would be the only cuts. It also fits with another rumor someone posted saying that there would only be four cuts this time. ROB, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle make four characters.

Missed this before, but yeah, ROB? I really doubt it. Wolf and Lucas ought to be on the cutting board long before ROB.

I also don't recall any rumor worth looking at that said Snake, ROB, and PT would be cut.

I also consider Yoshi to be a Mario rep since unlike Wario, he actually still appears in main-stream Mario games today as the sidekick/mount.

Yeah, it looks like Banryu might not have been counting Yoshi as a Mario rep, which he definitely should be considered as.

It would be like if they put Captain Toad in and we didn't consider him a Mario rep because he's technically got his own game.

>Lucina gets in

>Lucina is celebrated

Lucina brings the bacon. (and no one is happy about her being a clone)

Robin is also the bigger deal here.

It was a rumor stated long before E3 2013, in fact. The person that stated it said they heard it from someone that works for Nintendo. I didn't put much stock in it at all at first because one, it was from a random forum user, two, the game hadn't even been officially shown yet, and three, I wasn't sure Pokemon Trainer would really be cut. But I kept the rumor in the back of my mind because if it was true, it meant Ike was going to be in. lol

Edited by Anacybele

You know, Ban, I'm starting to think you're a good luck charm. If you say a character won't be in, then that character WILL be in! XD

Wait... Banryu also mentioned that Geno wouldn't be in. That means:

1. Squeenix randomly became less overprotective of their IPs.

2. They contacted Sakurai and, rather than asking him to put in someone instantly recognizable (like Cloud) or recent (like Lightning or the Final Fantasy XV Protagonist), they asked him to put in a side character who only had an important supporting role in one game that came out nearly 20 years ago (and a small cameo in another game which also came out pretty long ago).

3. Sakurai agreed to this.

Please let Banryu have magical "being wrong" powers, because otherwise that chain of events makes no sense.

When Lucas is revealed, I'll be sure to post the "Hallelujah" lyrics. too bad that day will never come.

And, I'm a bit disappointed about Lucina being a clone of Marth, but since when did I ever like her?

Zero Suit Samus > Lucina.

Zero Suit Samus > Marth

Zero Suit Samus > Ike

bahahaahahhahahhahaha. Except Robin. I like Robin, especially the female Robin. We get +2 for the female count, since the update yesterday.

Pff. Ike >>> Everyone. He's even still badass in that little bit of footage he got in the Robin/Lucina trailer. Folding his arms and giving his "I'm going to kick your ass across this stage and back" look ftw. x3

And I think I should've been more specific on Ban's magic incorrect guessing powers. lol He needs to say a big character won't be in. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Basically all of the characters that have ever been called clones, whether the comparison is apt or not, have still ended up playing very differently. (yes, even melee Fox and Falco, and Mario and Dr. Mario. especially melee Fox and Falco, the differences in what they actually are supposed to do if you know what you're doing are pretty significant, though still not too hard to learn if you've experience with one)

I'd like if they'd call em fraternal twins

And they can actually make me kinda excited. I like seeing what different takes on similar movesets can do to differentiate their playstyles. I'm eager to see what people do with Lucina and Marth once the game comes out

(and it's not like they haven't been around since literally the beginning of fighting games)

(pushes up rimlenseless glasses, snorts)

sdL50.jpg

That's a good album

>Lucina gets in

>Lucina is celebrated

But Lucina is a better waifu

Lucina being a clone (or semi-clone...whatever) makes me less excited for her...makes me kinda think "Why not give that slot to someone else, then? Lyn? Ephraim? Chrom? Anyone else who wouldn't be a clone?" I'm still gonna use her and am still sorta glad she's in...but now less-so.

Regarding Gematsu: I firmly believe that the very first leak was legit. There, he predicted Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer (in that order) to be revealed at E3, which was what happened in the end. But let's look at the circumstances:

- The leak happened hours before the reveal (literally the night before the conference).

- The leak was hidden as a "last minute prediction" post on the NeoGAF boards. It was, at the moment, dismissed as just that, another prediction in a sea of dozens.

- It wasn't until after the presentation that the Gematsu guy came out and said he had inside info. The fact he hid his leaked info at first shows he wasn't confident of his "inside man" and thus didn't make a full reveal of the leak.

Conclusion: I do believe that whoever leaked Villager, Mega Man and WFT to Gematsu was authentic. It could have been anyone who worked at the making of the Nintendo Direct video (who at the time were plenty), and Gematsu found out the info, but couldn't corroborate it so they reveal it as a forum post, and later revealed the "leaked" info, yet every subsequent character they revealed can be attributed as a lucky guess if you've been paying attention.

Little Mac was a popular pick, and a lot of people guessed him right.

Pac-Man was an obvious choice (despite what BANRYU made you believe), with Namco developing the game.

Mii was also a predictable choice. The only bit of doubt here was that he later referred to the characters specifically as "Mii Fighter", but that can be attributed to a similar leak to what happened on the very first leak (Gematsu got some last minute info). Note he didn't predict the three separate Mii types (Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner).

Palutena didn't come out until after the leaked images came out and no one was able to prove THOSE wrong. Add to the fact that she's practically Sakurai's own character and made her a very easy pick.

X/Y Pokémon is incredibly vague, not to mention a very safe bet given we know Game Freak has influence on what Pokémon characters go into the game, and it makes sense they'd want a Gen 6 Pokémon in. Had he specifically called Greninja (which he had plenty of time to update between the release of X/Y and the Greninja reveal), I would have believed him more.

Rosalina & Luma was one of the biggest surprises, and lo and behold, Gematsu didn't predict her.

I'm willing to bet Gematsu predicting Shulk at yesterday's reveal was them riding on the hype that Xenoblade director had just retweeted Sakurai's original tweet. But then Lucina and Robin were confirmed, Chrom was actually DEconfirmed, and all of its credibility went out.

And that's what I think happened. I think Shulk will still be in (been calling him since before E3 2013), but everything Gematsu once said is now completely irrelevant.

sdL50.jpg

The thing is, Lucina has her own animations to draw from. Marth's were drawn from SNES swordmasters. Lucina had a base they could from. This is lazy design. Come on, now. I mean for goodness sake why does she even have Marth's stance when she has her own sword wielding stance? This smells fishier than a seafood market. As much as I wanted Chrom, I definitely wouldn't have minded Lucina if they actually made her.... Lucina. If she had a few similarities to Marth then fine, but the whole moveset?

Why is any criticism of Smash instantly written off as butthurt? :MarcusYoung:

Considering Robin is in as the unique newcomer, the way I see it, if Lucina hadn't made it, either no one else would have taken her spot, or someone else would have but also as a clone. I don't think she took the spot of someone who would have been "more unique," so I'm just happy she's in even though I would prefer for her to be unique.

Not sure if this was confirmed before, but the male and female Robins prove that different character skins can have different voice tracks. I mean, it seems like it would be pretty obvious (the male WFT would sound downright weird if you gave him the female WFT's clips), but it's nice to get a direct confirmation.

Also, everyone is upset that Lucina is a clone and I'm just glad she isn't an alternate costume. And here I thought that I was the biggest downer about this reveal.

Considering Robin is in as the unique newcomer, the way I see it, if Lucina hadn't made it, either no one else would have taken her spot, or someone else would have but also as a clone. I don't think she took the spot of someone who would have been "more unique," so I'm just happy she's in even though I would prefer for her to be unique.

If they already had the newcomer, Lucina really shouldn't have been in at all as a clone or should have just been Marth's costume. Robin is perfectly fine for representation. If they weren't going to put effort into Lucy's (or any other newcomer's) gameplay there shouldn't have been another rep. As much as I wanted Chrom, I would have been hella salty if he was just clone status (which I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been, based on his animations in Robin's final smash). I have to deal with it, but my jimmies are still rustled that she is a clone.

Robin didn't impress me but I didn't care because his/her moveset was given accurate representation. Lucina on the other hand got swindled.

Well, the Mario series is expansive enough that I personally consider Wario to have been the new Mario rep in Brawl. Yeah, he's got his own series and all, but he was created as a Mario character, is still in every party game, and...well, just look at his freaking name.

Does that make Mario a Donkey Kong character then?

I've never understood the clone hate. And I think I never will...

Yeah, I like Mewtwo and Snake. Don't really get why others don't.

:p

So, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Robin totally broke the fourth wall in the trailer. Male Robin said "Smash has many powerful foes, Lucina." lol

And speaking of Robin, Nosferatu seems to heal damage. If that's the case, there's no reason now that Ike's Aether shouldn't do the same. While Nosferatu can't be used indefinitely since Robin can only use her/his tomes a certain number of times, Aether can just heal less damage and only be able to heal if Ike lands the downward blow.

Does that make Mario a Donkey Kong character then?

The Legend of Zelda is not named after its protagonist. The correct question here is, "Does that make Donkey Kong a Mario character?" That's more of a half-and-half thing to me. While I think we can consider Wario and Yoshi to be Mario spin-off series, Donkey Kong really branched off into its own.

I just realized something, is Robin still Robin in Europe even though he/she got a name change?

Robin isn't called Robin in Japan, so I don't see why Italy, Spain and France can't keep using Daraen.

I wonder what people think of this:

F Zero X: July 14 1998 (JP)

Fire Emblem 12: July 15 2010 (JP)

Fire Emblem 7: July 16 2004 (PAL)

Xenoblade Chronicles: August 19 2011 (EU)

Earthbound: August 27 1994 (JP)

I never put any stock in the "using game anniversaries to guess characters" before, and I can see that this is totally reaching since I doubt EU release dates would matter much, but I guess I'm desperate enough for Shulk (Ness should appear at some point regardless) that I want to believe it holds water.