SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Not sure if this would actually happen, but what if Link charged the Skyward Strike with a taunt and then just did it like any other attack?

Wow I actually really like this idea.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't things be changed just because they're established? If they find something which suits Link and the balance of the game better then I'd much rather they get rid of it.

This can be justified with Mario's FLUDD special move replacing Mario Tornado. That, and Pit's new moveset of having Guardian Orbitars and (Insert weapon name cause I son't remember it) Arm. So the idea's not completely out of the question.

Gonna give this a bump before the picture of the day resumes on Monday.

There's this massive Smash popularity poll that refreshes every year (I'm pretty sure I shared it last year). It's 2014 edition is out now, and it's generally referred to when judging character popularity, because of the massive amount of options on it.

http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132&refer=smashboards%2Ecom

There's the poll. It'd be really cool if you guys could take it. It doesn't take long at all.

And just to make it clear, it's a poll about what characters you want to see, not what characters you expect to see.

Edited by Freaky Alien Lemonade

Interesting, but how do I see the results? If I click "next page" after voting, it just takes me to a screen prompting me to sign up to create a survey. :/

Are Lolo and Lala (from Adventures of Lolo) owned by Nintendo? I keep hearing different things from various sources (like the poll Doofina just linked to). I figured that since Lolo and Lala are used in the Kirby games, HAL owns and created Lolo, and Nintendo owns HAL that Nintendo would have the rights to them. However, The Adventures of Lolo franchise never got any references in any Smash Bros. game despite being part of Kirby (no stickers/trophies or even a mention in the Chronicle for that matter), it's not promoted by Nintendo whatsoever, it doesn't get heavily used in the Virtual Console like other Nintendo franchises, and they even had a PC game after Nintendo bought HAL.

Not every Nintendo game gets referenced in Smash Bros.

If HAL created Lolo, then they are Nintendo characters.

After Day 1 of the annual poll, 103 people have already responded to it. Here are the results thus far.

Lowest Scoring Brawl Veterans
Zero Suit Samus 82
Pokemon Trainer 79
Wolf 76
Lucario 72
Snake 69

Any Brawl veteran not listed has more than 82 of the 103 people wanting said character to be included.

Top Tier
· Mewtwo 79
· Palutena 69
· Dixie Kong 60
· Little Mac (Punch Out!!!) 60
· Ridley 57
· Shulk (Xenoblade) 56
· King K. Rool 55

Mid Tier
· Roy 45
· Chrom 45
· Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 44
· Isaac (Golden Sun) 38
· Robin (FE13 Avatar) 36
· Krystal 35
· Pac-Man 35
· Bandana Dee 32
· Wonder Red 32
· Ashley 31
· Black Shadow 31
· Samurai Goroh 31
· Anna 30
· Lucina 30

Low Tier
· Paper Mario 29
· Lip (Panel De Pon) 29
· Bowser Junior 28
· Waluigi 25
· Kamek 25
· Cranky Kong 25
· Tetra 25
· Dillon (Rolling Western) 25
· Mii (Wii Series) 24
· Rhythm Heaven Character 24
· Banjo & Kazooie 24
· Toad 23
· Chibi Robo 23
· Tingle 22
· Pokemon Trainer (Kalos) 22
· Lyn 22
· 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 20
· Majora (Skull Kid) 21
· Saki (Sin & Punishment) 21
· Andy (Advanced Wars) 20
· Mach Rider 20

Any character not listed received less than 20 votes.

Edited by Freaky Alien Lemonade

I wonder what the Monday update will be. Sakurai could troll us and give us the Smash U equivalent of "You Must Recover!"

*U Must Recover

C'mon, it was so obvious. :P

I think we'll be seeing Dedede next week. Hopefully we can know more about what the Phantom and Zelda is.

After having a look at the poll, I'm seriously questioning: Do people actually consider Tharja to be a realistic choice for a newcomer? I've seen demands for her already, but I've considered them to be jokes.

Why her of all non-lords?

After having a look at the poll, I'm seriously questioning: Do people actually consider Tharja to be a realistic choice for a newcomer? I've seen demands for her already, but I've considered them to be jokes.

Why her of all non-lords?

Gamefaqs people voted in the poll (they love her). She also has quite a few fans on Smashboards.

They're probably at least half-jokes, if only because they likely know on some level how unlikely she is.

Happy to know lots of people want Ike to stay. ^^

I think I wound up voting more than once though, because of trying to figure out how to see the results. xP But who knows, that might not have made much of a difference.

I'm betting stage for Monday. Another character so soon after Rosalina and Zelda seems too good to be true, but Sakurai works in mysterious ways... If it is a character though Kirby and Pikachu are looking pretty lonely.

Since this question has been on my mind for a while, I'll ask it: what do you guys think Sakurai will do regarding the SSB4 F-Zero stages? For the Wii U version, Sakurai will probably either use another F-Zero GX stage or he'll use a stage from the SNES F-Zero and update it to modern graphics, since the SNES F-Zero is the only console/mainstream F-Zero that doesn't have a stage in Smash Bros. yet (BS/GBA F-Zero's are considered to be spinoffs). An even bigger question is, what will Sakurai do with the 3DS F-Zero stage? Is the 3DS capable of processing F-Zero like Smash levels, especially with all the things to account for like the whole track area, the vehicles, the loads of quick rendering, and such? Also, what game will he base the level off of? F-Zero GP Legends and Climax have the cast we're familar with like Captain Falcon and Dr. Stewart, but those games were co-developed with Suzak, and supposedly there's some rights issues regarding the use of those two games, similar to the SNES Donkey Kong Country games being taken off the Virtual Console since there was conflict with Rare owning Microsoft and them demanding that Nintendo remove them off the Virtual Console. If Suzak pulls something similar to that, then that'd leave Sakurai with only F-Zero Maximum Velocity for portable F-Zero games for SSB3DS, though Maximum Velocity practically has a completely different setting and cast than all other F-Zero games.

tl;dr - Randoman heavily speculates F-Zero levels for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

Not every Nintendo game gets referenced in Smash Bros.

If HAL created Lolo, then they are Nintendo characters.

You got a point, especially since Lolo's creator is owned by Nintendo. But at the same time, The Adventures of Lolo gets shafted by Nintendo a lot even when not considering Smash Bros. I mean, they don't even use it for the NES Virtual Console or group them with classics like Urban Champion or Balloon Fight in things like NES Remix for the Wii U. The whole ownership logic chain shows that Nintendo owns The Adventures of Lolo IP, but Nintendo's actions imply otherwise quite a lot. I really doubt Nintendo would shaft The Adventures of Lolo that badly both in and out of Smash Bros. if they owned the IP, and avoid using/referencing it like the plague outside of cameos in Kirby games.

And in case you're thinking I'm discussing this because I don't want Lolo and Lala in Smash Bros. if they're third party, that's not the case at all. Nintendo owned or not, they're still heavily affilated with Nintendo (specifically the NES in their own trilogy and the Kirby games) and if even knowledgeable Nintendo fans can't tell for sure if they're 1st or 3rd party and are split on it, then that alone shows that they'd deserve a spot in a Nintendo spinoff. I just really want to know since the groups that say The Adventures of Lolo are Nintendo owned are pretty much split evenly, and it's hard to tell since both sides seem plausible and believable, yet both have holes in them regarding their arguments.

Hopefully we can know more about what the Phantom and Zelda is.

I'm hoping so to. And seeing how after a character reveal, the next few pictures of the day revolve around the newly revealed character, it's quite likely. I'm interested in seeing if the Phantom is an Assist Trophy or a new move.

You got a point, especially since Lolo's creator is owned by Nintendo. But at the same time, The Adventures of Lolo gets shafted by Nintendo a lot even when not considering Smash Bros. I mean, they don't even use it for the NES Virtual Console or group them with classics like Urban Champion or Balloon Fight in things like NES Remix for the Wii U. The whole ownership logic chain shows that Nintendo owns The Adventures of Lolo IP, but Nintendo's actions imply otherwise quite a lot. I really doubt Nintendo would shaft The Adventures of Lolo that badly both in and out of Smash Bros. if they owned the IP, and avoid using/referencing it like the plague outside of cameos in Kirby games.

And in case you're thinking I'm discussing this because I don't want Lolo and Lala in Smash Bros. if they're third party, that's not the case at all. Nintendo owned or not, they're still heavily affilated with Nintendo (specifically the NES in their own trilogy and the Kirby games) and if even knowledgeable Nintendo fans can't tell for sure if they're 1st or 3rd party and are split on it, then that alone shows that they'd deserve a spot in a Nintendo spinoff. I just really want to know since the groups that say The Adventures of Lolo are Nintendo owned are pretty much split evenly, and it's hard to tell since both sides seem plausible and believable, yet both have holes in them regarding their arguments.

There are a lot of IPs that Nintendo hasn't used in a looooooooooooong time. Just because Nintendo has the IP doesn't mean that they are obligated to use it.

I have a feeling we may not have a 3DS F-Zero stage but Gp would probably be the best bet. Spinoffs haven't stopped stage choice before.

We have Rainbow Road for example sake

The SSB4 Popularity poll has hit 400 votes already. Here are the results thus far.

Lowest Scoring Veterans
· Ike 256
· Wolf 255
· Toon Link 244
· Pokemon Trainer 222
· Snake 209
· Lucario 202
Genetically Enhanced Tier
• Mewtwo 316
High Tier
• Ridley 236
• Little Mac (Punch Out) 234
• Palutena 222
• King K. Rool 219
• Dixie Kong 203
Mid Tier
• Chrom 190
• Shulk (Xenoblade) 172
• Roy 165
• Krystal 153
• Isaac (Golden Sun) 152
Low Tier
• Paper Mario 143
• Waluigi 135
• Bowser Junior 125
• Pac-Man 122
• Black Shadow 119
• Wonder Red 119
• Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 116
• Samurai Goroh 114
• Castlevania (Simon Belmont, Alucard, Dracula) 106
• Ashley 103
• Lucina 102
• Majora (Skull Kid) 101
• Banjo & Kazooie 100
Honerable Mentions
· Cranky Kong 99
· Bomberman 99
· Robin (FEA Avatar) 96
· Tetra 94
· Bandana Dee 92
· Mii (Wii Series) 91
Everyone Else

· Kamek 87
· Ghirahim 87
· Bayonetta 87
· Chibi Robo 86
· Hades 84
· Lyn 83
· Blaziken 82
· Pokemon Trainer (Kalos) 82
· Medusa 81
· Dillon (Rolling Western) 81
· Toad 80
· Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) 78
· Professor Layton 77
· Tingle 75
· Claus (Masked Man) 75
· 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 73
· Doctor Mario 74
· Anna 74
· Super Mario RPG (Geno, Mallow) 74
· Saki (Sin & Punishment) 73
· Toon Zelda 70
· Dark Samus 69
· Impa 67
· Vaati 67
· Ganon 66
· Midna 66
· Magnus 66
· Andy (Advanced Wars) 66
· Lip (Panel De Pon) 66
· Viewtiful Joe 63
· Meowth 61
· Zoroark 61
· Captain Syrup 60
· Eevee (And Eeveelutions) 60
· Porky 59
· Kingdom Hearts (Sora) 59
· Mach Rider 58
· Rhythm Heaven Character 58
· Shy Guy 57
· Pokemon Trainer (Johto) 57
· Ray MK (Custom Robo) 57
· Final Fantasy (Chocobo, Black Mage, Moogle, Cloud, Lightning) 57
· Rayman 56
· Wolf Link 55
· Pokemon Trainer (Hoenn) 55
· Crono Trigger (Crono) 55
· Prince Fluff 54
· King Boo 52
· Fawful 50
· Duck Hunt Dog 50
· No More Hereos (Travis Touchdown) 50
· Jimmy T. 49
· Pokemon Champion Cynthia 49
· Tom Nook (Animal Crossing 49
· Hector 48
· Slippy 47
· Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 46
· Young Link 45
· Dark Pit 45
· Tales Series (Cless/Cress, Lloyd) 45
· Mona 44
· Funky Kong 44
· Toon Ganondorf 44
· Poo 43
· Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 43
· Scribblenauts (Maxwell) 43
· Groose 42
· Deoxys 42
· Gengar 41
· Micaiah 41
· Tharja 41
· Baby Mario & Luigi 40
· Viridi 40
· Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) 40
· Street Fighter (Ryu, Chun Li, M. Bison) 40
· Daisy 37
· Pokemon Trainer N 37
· Pichu 36
· Sylux 36
· Ephraim 36
· Black Knight 35
· Kumatora 35
· Balloon Fighter 35
· Captain Rainbow 35
· Elite Beat Agents 35
· Genesect 34
· 2nd Metal Gear Character (Raiden, Gray Fox) 32
· Classic Link 33
· Mew 33
· Pokemon Trainer (Sinnoh) 33
· Plusle & Minun 33
· K.K Slider (Animal Crossing) 33
· Knuckle Joe 32
· Pokemon Trainer Villain (Rocket Plasma Galactic Aqua Magma Flare) 34
· Captain N 32
· Zael (The Last Story) 32
· Gardevoir 30
· Alex (Golden Sun) 30
· Dunban (Xenoblade) 30
· Sami (Advanced Wars) 30
· Soul Calibur (Nightmare, Ivy Valentine) 30
· Kat & Ana 29
· Hawlucha 29
· Anthony Higgs 29
· Matthew (Golden Sun) 29
· Ninten 28
· Aeron (Pandora's Tower) 28
· Baby Bowser 27
· Paula 27
· Conker's Bad Fur Day (Conker) 27
· Ravio 26
· Jeff 26
· Reyn (Xenoblade) 26
· Dragon Quest (Slime) 26
· Rival Trainer 25
· Victini 25
· Space Pirate 25
· Giygas 25
· Felix (Golden Sun) 25
· Mike Jones (Star Tropics) 25
· Phantom Zelda 24
· Jill (Drill Dozer) 24
· Peppy 23
· Jody Summer 23
· Alph, Charlie, Brittany (Pikmin III) 23
· King Hippo (Punch Out) 23
· Louie (Pikmin) 23
· Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) 23
· Klonoa 23
· Resident Evil (Jill Valentine, Chris Redfeild, Leon Kennedy) 23
· Nabbit 22
· Flint 22
· Fiora (Xenoblade) 22
· Battletoads (Zitz) 22
· Ninja Gaiden (Ryu Hayabusa) 22
· Toon Sheik 21
· Blood Falcon 21
· Sigurd 21
· Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness) 21
· Lanky Kong 20
· Dark Matter 20
· Grovyle 20
· Weavel 20
· Eirika 20
· Eggplant Wizard 20
· Yarn Kirby 19
· Eliwood 19
· Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age) 19
· Excited Biker 19
· Goemon (Goemon’s Great Adventure) 19
· KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) 19
· Tekken (Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya) 19
· Duster 18
· Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing) 18
· Tempo (Harmo Knight) 18
· Caeda 17
· Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment) 17
· Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk) 17
· Stanly the Bugman 16
· Pokemon Gym Leader 16
· Pico 16
· Panther 15
· Calista (The Last Story) 15
· Yarn Yoshi 14
· Leon 14
· Leaf 14
· Ashley Robbins (Trace Memory / Another Road) 14
· Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club pt. II) 14
· Mallo (Pushmo) 14
· Prince Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 14
· Sheriff 14
· Marx 13
· Diskun (Famicom Disk System) 13
· Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Momohime, Kisuke) 13
· Yuga 12
· Gooey 12
· Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) 12
· Daitoryo (Hanafuda) 12
· Daroach 11
· Deathborn 11
· Elincia 11
· Soren 11
· Labrador / Grey Tabby (Nintendogs + Cats) 11
· Sakura Samurai (Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword) 11
· Donkey Kong Junior 10
· Dedenne 10
· Plasm Wraith (Pikmin III) 10
· Urban Champion 10
· Magolor 9
· Celice 9
· Alice (Balloon Kid) 9
· Donbe & Hikari (Shin Onigashima) 9
· Hunter (Fossil Fighter) 9
· Jumpman 8
· Demille (Tomato Adventure) 8
· Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Acadamy) 8
· Heracles (Glory of Heracles) 8
· Lolo + Lala (Adventures of Lolo) 8
· Tamagon (Devil World) 8
· Orublon 7
· Devil (Devil World) 7
· Lark (PilotWings) 7
· Kiddie Kong 6
· Hardin 6
· Narbarl 6
· Ana 6
· Ryota Hayami (Wave Race) 6
· Shake King 5
· Tiki Tong 5
· Dr. Stewart 5
· Dr. Write (Sim City) 5
· Harry (Telerboxer) 5
· Hero (Magc Starsign / Vacation) 5
· Vince (Art Acadamy) 5
· Ryuta (Ouendan) 4
· John Raimi (Geist) 3
· Marcus 2
· Welt (Soma Bringer) 2

If they didn't appear in the Everyone else spoiler, they've only got 1 vote.

There are a lot of IPs that Nintendo hasn't used in a looooooooooooong time. Just because Nintendo has the IP doesn't mean that they are obligated to use it.

Well, alright. Though I'd think that they'd at least stick the NES Lolo trilogy on the Virtual Console or something. I mean, I can understand not making a new game in the series, but it's not like sticking the Lolo trilogy on the Virtual Console would be that much trouble or not break even or make net losses money wise, especially if they're already putting games on the VC like Urban Champion or Kung Fu (nothing against those games, but I'm quite sure the NES Lolo trilogy would sell more than those).

I have a feeling we may not have a 3DS F-Zero stage but Gp would probably be the best bet. Spinoffs haven't stopped stage choice before.

We have Rainbow Road for example sake

I guess they might skip out on stages for certain series in certain versions. I mean, I doubt Wii Fit is getting a stage in the 3DS version, since it didn't even get a portable game (not that I blame them, since implementing a portable Wii Fit game would be quite hard). I was thinking GP Legends would be the best pick as well (a Lightning or Illusion based track would be my personal pick), since Maximum Velocity's cast and setting is completely different from the other F-Zero games and Climax was Japan Only.

True about Rainbow Road, but stages like Mute City, Big Blue, and Port Town Aero Dive take a lot more processing power and memory than stages like Delfino Plaza and (likely) Skyloft due to F-Zero's insane speed and the large amounts of rendering that need to be done over short periods of time because of the speed. I'm guessing Rainbow Road will be more like the latter listed tracks than the former in terms of touring speed and rendering.

All my most wanted people are in mid

Would be cool if we somehow got Marth (Nes, SNES, DS) Roy (GBA) Ike ( GC, Wii) and Chrom (3DS) because we would have all the eras of FE. The chances of all four may be slim but you have to admit it would be cool

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

All my most wanted people are in mid

Would be cool if we somehow got Marth (Nes, SNES, DS) Roy (GBA) Ike ( GC, Wii) and Chrom (3DS) because we would have all the eras of FE. The changes of all four may be slim but you have to admit it would be cool

This is pretty much my ultimate, against all odds wish for Smash 4.