SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Smash is not a mere collection of everyone's favorite mascots duking it out. It's its OWN franchise, and with each one, cast stability is something that should be taken into account. If it were, then that would make cutting characters a lot more likely for something or one to waltz in just by popular demand. That, or you'd be seeing a different versions of each character every time to suit its most recent appearance. Imagine how ridiculous that would be. Course, I could be wrong about this in wording, or something, but thats how I see it

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er, that's not what I meant. I meant that the series is where major characters from a variety of Nintendo franchises duke it out against one another. They don't have to be fan favorites or anything, just well-known, successful, and important characters of each series to represent the success of those series.

Er, that's not what I meant. I meant that the series is where major characters from a variety of Nintendo franchises duke it out against one another. They don't have to be fan favorites or anything, just well-known, successful, and important characters of each series to represent the success of those series.

That can still be applied to it. For instance, by saying that, it gives replacing Marth with Lucina justification, which is blasphemy. That, and, god forbid, Ike probably not even given a chance to entering smash, or returning, if he did make it in. That is my point

The same justification also kinda:

• Kicks out most Star Fox characters due to "success"
  • As well as Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., the Ice Climbers, Ridley, Captain Falcon (and he's a three-timer!) the list goes on...

Basically, you kind of just said any character whose series hasn't had a lot of success goes down the drain.

Buh-bye, Ness and Captain Falcon.

But... Don't the characters represent their game series? :/

No.

The characters are simply characters.

Marth is a Fire Emblem character. He is not a Fire Emblem Rep.

Ike is a Fire Emblem character. He is not a Fire Emblem Rep.

Samus is a Metroid character. She is not a Metroid Rep.

You play the game as characters. You don't play the game as reps.

No.

The characters are simply characters.

Marth is a Fire Emblem character. He is not a Fire Emblem Rep.

Ike is a Fire Emblem character. He is not a Fire Emblem Rep.

Samus is a Metroid character. She is not a Metroid Rep.

You play the game as characters. You don't play the game as reps.

Are you kidding me? Smash is a CROSSOVER series. They represent the HOME series they came from. That's the whole point of crossovers.

Okay, I can see I worded my post wrong. But now I'm not sure how to explain what I mean, so I'm just going to stop trying, because you people still aren't getting it.

EDIT: THANK YOU, GabrielKnight. That is what I meant.

Edited by Anacybele

Ehm guys, I don't want to be rude or anything but just because something is a character doesn't mean it can't be a representative for the series... I don't even understand why this is an argument... There was really nothing wrong with what Anacybele said.

Are you kidding me? Smash is a CROSSOVER series. They represent the HOME series they came from. That's the whole point of crossovers.

They are Nintendo's history, using the word rep from such and such series is completely shallow

I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate, so I'll say this one final thing. No, i never said that characters cannot serve as reps. However,I don't like referring to them as reps cause in every such occasion where there are reps, there comes a time where such reps are laid off, or replaced for someone else. Which is what I was referring to, when I mentioned cast stability. By calling them reps, that's saying that one day, they will be replaced, which I'm pretty sure is what we all DON'T want, am I right? Would you rather have someone that you've taken a liking to as a character, taken out in favor for someone else?

And with that, I'm done. If anything, PM me to further speak on this

Edited by Hero-King

Whatever, SlipperySlippy is right, this is a ridiculous argument.

To change the subject, I recalled something awhile back, this guy on another forum saying that the only a few characters would not be returning. And that he got this info from someone involved with the project. Of course, he never gave any proof and I'm not saying he's absolutely correct, but I think he said these characters were Pokemon Trainer, ROB, and Snake. I know PT was one of them, at least. And so far, none of these three have shown up. He might actually be right.

But obviously, we don't know for sure. Sakurai's not done yet, after all.

.....A representative doesn't mean you'll someday get replaced....that's not even a part of the definition. They have nothing to do with each other.

Even so, calling someone a rep or not doesn't change the fact that there's a chance they'll get replaced.

God, get out, ROB, no one likes you. Pokemon Trainer was worthless. It's like making a Tactician and putting Archer, Myrmidon, and Mage in one character. What a total waste of time.

Edited by GabrielKnight

To change the subject, I recalled something awhile back, this guy on another forum saying that the only a few characters would not be returning. And that he got this info from someone involved with the project. Of course, he never gave any proof and I'm not saying he's absolutely correct, but I think he said these characters were Pokemon Trainer, ROB, and Snake. I know PT was one of them, at least. And so far, none of these three have shown up. He might actually be right.

Out of those three, I can see them not reappearing, however I'd very much want Snake to return given his lack of appearance in Playstation All-Stars! I'd feel sorry for the guy if he didn't appear in either. Also, Snake was pretty fun to play against - required a bit of tactics. ROB? Well good riddance. Pokemon Trainer I can completely understand, they have time constraints and it's basically 3 characters in one as well as having to render and program the trainer himself into the background of each stage (and maybe even Adventure mode).

Yeah, you make good points. Pokemon Trainer was an interesting concept, but I can definitely live with this guy being right if he's indeed correct. Cause it would mean Ike is staying. ^^

(and even if I remembered incorrectly, I know Ike was not one of the characters this guy mentioned. I'd have remembered that for sure if it was the case. :P)

Edited by Anacybele

I honestly think despite his many unique aspects, Snake is the most likely to be cut due to being a 3rd party with hardly any relation to Nintendo in recent history. There's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater on the 3DS but otherwise you'd have to look all the way back to the MGS 1 remake on the GCN, and then all the way back to the NES days to find any other games with Snake. He's just not a Nintendo guy.

I'd be sad to lose ROB or Pokemon Trainer. I think ROB is a more solid character than the Trainer, but both of them are standout. I'd rather have Wolf cut due to his general sameyness with Fox and Falco (even worse than TL vs Link imo), but honestly I hope they don't end up cutting anyone at all this time around and that rumours are rumours.

Wolf and Falco have completely different A's from Fox for the majority and their B's work differently.. how many times do I have to repeat myself on this damn thread.

I may as well repeat other stuff

Such as Roy and Mewtwo being planned for Brawl and that Ike and Lucario didn't replace them

Wolf and Falco have completely different A's from Fox for the majority and their B's work differently.. how many times do I have to repeat myself on this damn thread.

I may as well repeat other stuff

Such as Roy and Mewtwo being planned for Brawl and that Ike and Lucario didn't replace them

Except Wolf, Falco, and Fox all have EXTREMELY similar specials. Neutral projectile, Multi-directional recovery, a reflector of some sort, and a side dash.

Also, Falco and Fox's neutral A's are essentially the same. 2 jabs, followed by infinite.

All three are too similar for my tastes, and though Wolf is a good step in variety, more needs to be done to differentiate them (especially the fucking three landmasters, who the fuck thought that was a good idea?)

Having 2 unique attacks (them being functionally the same/similar) is not enough to warrant being a completely unique character.

Edited by GabrielKnight

I know that Fox, Falco, and Wolf play differently (Wolf especially), but even keeping the basic framework for three characters is a bit much. Wolf shouldn't even have a landmaster and Falco openly mocks it, which says volumes about how many creative corners were cut with these guys due to time constraints. I hope the characters aren't cut because one of my friends mains the Star Fox guys and Falco is her favourite, but at the same time I think there's even more room for improvement.

My #1 unfulfilled wish right now is actually that Ganondorf gets a complete moveset overhaul that more accurately represents him, since his current moveset is so disconnected from the character. I really hope that characters who were previously "clones" (and I use that term loosely because no one is a true clone) have more changes applied to them. I like Toon Link, who already has a significantly different aerial game and weight class from Link, but for instance I would like it if they changed up their B moves to be more unique to their individual games and not just minor variations of the same moves.

I honestly think despite his many unique aspects, Snake is the most likely to be cut due to being a 3rd party with hardly any relation to Nintendo in recent history. There's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater on the 3DS but otherwise you'd have to look all the way back to the MGS 1 remake on the GCN, and then all the way back to the NES days to find any other games with Snake. He's just not a Nintendo guy.

He wasn't a "Nintendo guy" when he was included in Brawl either. I think he'll stay.

Edit: Honestly, just give Falco an Arwing for an FS and Wolf a Wolfen. Wolf is hardly a clone(he shares, what, 2-3 specials with Fox? Unless you're one of those idiots that judges a character largely on their specials, that's not much), and Brawl Falco is more of a semi-clone than his Melee incarnation(though in Melee, Fox/Falco DO play differently). I'm not a Star Fox fan, but I feel like Falco/Wolf are important enough to stick around.

And besides, it's not like Sakurai cares that much about clones, otherwise Toon Link wouldn't still be around. :p

inb4 someone gets mad at me for calling TL a clone again

Edited by shinpichu

.....A representative doesn't mean you'll someday get replaced....that's not even a part of the definition. They have nothing to do with each other.

Even so, calling someone a rep or not doesn't change the fact that there's a chance they'll get replaced.

God, get out, ROB, no one likes you. Pokemon Trainer was worthless. It's like making a Tactician and putting Archer, Myrmidon, and Mage in one character. What a total waste of time.

*is a person that likes ROB and Pokemon Trainer*

I think they're going to put Lyn. After all, they just add Little Mac, and he was an Assist Trophy, so why not Lyn ? :p

Edited by Finn

You must not have seen my post from earlier. Little Mac's series was unrepresented in the roster. Lyn's isn't. And just because a character got to be an assist doesn't mean they're getting in the roster. There are so many of them and a lot wouldn't even be practical for the roster. XP