SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Last I heard. PM was wanting to make Lyn and Knuckles

There was an allegedly leaked list of characters that PM was planning on implementing, and yes, Lyn and Knuckles were on it. IIRC Isaac and Sami were on it as well(Remember, they have 5 spare slots to work with). Since then the list has apparently been scrapped, though Lyn and Isaac are still the most popular requests for the clone engine.

Edit: Skull Kid was on the leaked list as well.

Edited by shinpichu

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't like the idea of DLC at all.

idk, it just feels a bit weird to me. New stages, Music, Custom Moves would be fine, I just don't like the idea of having extra characters as DLC. In online play, it just seems kinda awkward, to see a character you didn't even know existed.

I actually don't like the idea of DLC at all.

idk, it just feels a bit weird to me. New stages, Music, Custom Moves would be fine, I just don't like the idea of having extra characters as DLC. In online play, it just seems kinda awkward, to see a character you didn't even know existed.

I can't change your view but, to be fair, this was the same feeling people had back in 90s when there were secret characters in fighting games. And if you didn't have a guide or the Internet, you would never know they existed.

I can't change your view but, to be fair, this was the same feeling people had back in 90s when there were secret characters in fighting games. And if you didn't have a guide or the Internet, you would never know they existed.

Well, secret characters were all right, and I do like having secrets. (gives me hope that Lucas will be in SSB4, even though he won't).

I just don't like DLC characters because people might have characters that you might not have, and it just makes me feel a little... ish. I find it hard to explain, but it just don't like the idea of DLC. Though, I do see what you're saying.

I'm fine with DLC stages, music, etc, but I don't know about characters. I like buying the game with an already complete roster (not counting characters needing to be unlocked).

I personally believe that the only character DLC should be characters who were cut from previous games (Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario (still better as an alternate Mario skin), Young Link (though Toon Link is basically the same thing so maybe not him. Maybe he can be an alternate skin, too), Squirtle, Ivysaur, and any other characters who were in Brawl but don't return in SSB4), or maybe characters that Sakurai developed a cool moveset for but are too minor to be worthy of a main roster spot. I don't want future games to just have rosters where all the "newcomers" are just characters who were DLC in the previous game.

However, DLC could be great for stages (especially stages from previous games that aren't "Past Stages" on-disc), music, and alternate costumes (though I don't like the idea of having a costume as a way to lazily include a completely different character, which is why I hated the idea of Lucina being a Marth costume and am glad that isn't the case)

Of course, we're making an assumption that unlockable characters will still be in this game. Lots of fighting games are abandoning unlockable characters entirely for out-of-the-box playability at like parties and stuff.

Well, if there aren't unlockable characters in the game this time, I hope there's a bunch of other unlockable content to make up for it. I like having lots of stuff to unlock. D:

Edited by Anacybele

Smash Bros. has always had that tradition.

Unlockable characters.

I'm all for keeping it.

But nowadays most people don't like this stuff anymore since they want all of it available to them from the start.

This game was given a negative score for having "Locked content".

Edited by Ace Gamer

I really hope they keep the unlocking characters tradition.

I love working towards a goal. Though, I'm pretty sure my three favorites and lucas will be starter characters.

From the Mario series, I can see Luigi & Rosalina being the unlockable ones with Mario, Peach, and Bowser as starter (just assuming, since Brawl AND Melee).

Personally, I don't have too much negative feelings regarding DLC aside from SFxT's stunt about locking on-disc characters behind a DLC wall. DLC is awesome if handled well. Of course, there's always SpotPass for the game so we may even get free characters, stages, and music later. Sakurai himself said that DLC is not out of the question, but they did not have plans for it at E3 2013.

If they do go through with DLC, I don't know how it'd work. After all there is two versions of the game so unless they make it cross compatible, most likely I'll only get DLC for the Wii U only. That's the version I'll play mostly. However, whatever the final roster is, I'll be satisfied with the result regardless.

Of course, we're making an assumption that unlockable characters will still be in this game. Lots of fighting games are abandoning unlockable characters entirely for out-of-the-box playability at like parties and stuff.

While that may be true, Nintendo tends to be behind the times, lol.

Plus, I think people will be okay with it simply because it's Smash. People like the stuff they know to stay as it is.

On DLC, I don't know why people are suggesting music and/or alternate costumes like that would be good DLC. Aesthetic DLC is the worst, laziest, most money-grabbing type of DLC there is and I do my best to boycott any game with that stuff in it. I don't like the idea of DLC at all, but if it does happen, I would hope it's stages and/or modes of some sort. I don't think character DLC would be a good idea.

I think one of the main points of unlockable characters is that they're kept secret. Before Brawl was released, the only unlockable characters we knew about were Snake and Sonic. I highly doubt that every character we've seen (possibly barring 3rd party characters again) will be a starting character unless every single character is a starting character. That leads me to believe that there won't be any unlockable characters this time.

I really like unlockable characters, though. Even if I always unlock them all incredibly shortly after getting the game. I think Melee took about a week and a half for me to get all the characters and Brawl took less than a day thanks to SSE.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

My mistake then. But honestly I would take DLC over them making a completely new game with the added content(All verions of Super Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3). AKA the Capcom route.

Edited by Ace Gamer

Character DLCs are fine in my books.

Stage DLCs are a bit of dark area for me because a significant amount of games with stage DLCs limits online play for a lot of players. For example in Sonic All Stars Racing, if you had the DLC stage and an another player does not, you could not play with each other in random matches. Thus an online community was pretty much split up. I rather not have something like this happen to smash bros.

They fixed this with the sequel by making it friends only but even then you cannot play that stage online with randoms.

What usually happens with games with significant online multplayer games is that the game will be patched to include those DLC contents but they are locked out until you actually buy them.

Even if it was free?

That's unlikely ever going to happen. Usually when a DLC is free, it's sponsored by another company. Stuff like the Sonic Lost World DLC was free was probably because Nintendo helped fund the project. This will only happen if the company is actually generous and even then most of them will not likely do this. Creating DLC is still adding an extra development time to the game and you gotta pay your studio & employee for making these resources.