SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I wasn't always so big on the Gematsu deal, as I usually ignored it.

Obviously there was a huge argument about Gematsu's credibility, and since guessing 8 out 11 newcomers correctly, some members believed in Gematsu, while others ( LIKE ME) quickly shut him down. When Gematsu was wrong, we (well, I did) exploded.

But almost everytime there's been a leak in an upcoming game (Pokemon XY comes to mind due to recency), it hasn't been 100% accurate, I don't necessarily think that makes it a fake as things do change in development. .

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any of this ('this' being the gematsu/smashboards/Lucina controversy nonsense) really even matter? If they're in, then they're in. If Lucina was a late addition, that'd make sense, as she's a clone. So what?

But almost everytime there's been a leak in an upcoming game (Pokemon XY comes to mind due to recency), it hasn't been 100% accurate, I don't necessarily think that makes it a fake as things do change in development. .

But what makes a few of us not believe in Gematsu, is that Sakurai himself said that the final roster was decided on before development.

Which is why some of us think that since getting one newcomer wrong, automatically a fake. (Hoax? Maybe that's a better word. Fake sounds blunt). While I would like to be on your side about things changing in development (since they actually do), I trust Sakurai, since he's the creator of Smash.

But there's so much more on the debate about Lucina, and her being a "replacement character" due to Chrom being cut or "disconfirmed".

Edited by Carter

I admit that I jumped to conclusions, as Smashboards has said it was a mistranslation, but I just got annoyed by the fact that this info was written off simply for the Gematsu reference.

It's like the mere mention sends some people off here >_>.

Quit fake mongering people.

Gematsu is fake yes. But that GameFAQs topic is REAL. Look at the link on he first post: (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsp5iI2CUAA478W.jpg).

It CONFIRMS that Lucina was a late addition. And if you look at the first post, they apologized for the topic title.

Just because it seems like "Gematsu lol" doesn't mean you write it off as fake.

Sorry, but this really grates me when valid info is brushed off just because Gematsu is in the title.

Unless that scan can be proven to be without-a-doubt legit, it confirms absolutely nothing.

I don't want to start anything, being as I just started here, but I cannot understand why everyone is quick to write off the Gematsu leak as fake. Please someone explain to me.

You know what they say about trust: hard to earn, easy to lose. Being wrong (and as it is, very wrong) about this one thing means we can't trust anything else in the "leak," because who's to say the rest of it isn't similarly mistaken? Whether or not the leaker had actual inside information is meaningless, it can't be trusted anymore.

But what makes a few of us not believe in Gematsu, is that Sakurai himself said that the final roster was decided on before development.

Which is why some of us think that since getting one newcomer wrong, automatically a fake. (Hoax? Maybe that's a better word. Fake sounds blunt). While I would like to be on your side about things changing in development (since they actually do), I trust Sakurai, since he's the creator of Smash.

But there's so much more on the debate about Lucina, and her being a "replacement character" due to Chrom being cut or "disconfirmed".

Fair enough, but again, even though Sakurai said the roster was finalized, I still think no even he is immune from last-minute changes--although I won't say anymore on the matter.

A translation of the thing on GameFAQs, from a user from NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121317889&postcount=6939

So from I'm understanding from this, Lucina was originally an alt costume for Marth like the Wii Fit Trainers and the Villagers, but since she was given a few different characteristics from Marth that made them have a slight difference in fighting even though they have the same style, she was just made her own character.

Cool. And if what I've heard is true and that Marth has been powered up, sped down, and become more grounded while Lucina seems to be more like original, speedy and airy Marth, then this is fine by me. I might even switch over to Lucina from Marth if this is true. I was never good with getting Marth's tipper, and since I don't worry about it with Lucina, it turns out good.

Edited by Konnor97

I think I'll definitely be using Lucina more than Marth.

Used Marth sometimes, but he just wasn't my cup of teaaaaaaa. Of course, but no other character will ever beat out my use of Peach, Zelda, or Zero Suit. Unless, that is Toadette somehow joins, but the chances of that are completely 0%!

Sakurai could've just then made Chrom an Ike clone, but that probably wouldn't have sat well with Japanese fans

Excuse me, besides "Ike isn't popular in Japan", what do you actually know about the Japanse FE fanbase?

Some translations.

More translations.

"Robin:

Forward Smash is his/her Levin Sword. If you run out of uses, his/her Forward Smash will be the Bronze Sword

Down B is Nosferatu. It afflicts a Curse Status on the enemy and will recover Robins Health. Hitting them from behind will recover more

Neutral B is Thunder, hold it down for Elthunder and Thoron. Can retain charge if you shield and move, and Robin will resume charging once you hit B again

Up B is Elwind. It sends Robin in the air and fires Elwinds downward. Run out of uses and you cant recover

Side B is Arcfire. If it hits something, itll generate a pillar of Fire that spreads upwards, and damages anyone nearby.

Lucina:

Her moveset is the same as Marth but hers has different properties. For instance, Marth only does max damage if the tip of his sword connects, while Lucina can do max damage if any part of her sword connects.

Her taunt has her putting on a mask

Capt. Falcon

Nothing worthwhile. Nothing we dont know already from past iterations."

http://katsuragiseneru.tumblr.com/post/91977602081/challengerapproaching-famitsu-got-some#notes

The blurb about how Lucina came to be is basically "Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."

Maybe there's something on the rest of the page that mentions a cut character, but... I don't see why it wouldn't go along with the section on why she was included. No mention of cut characters or needing to fill in a removed spot.

Edited by Roku

No mention of Lucina being faster/lighter/aerial based then? That's a little disappointing, hopefully she does have more to differentiate herself besides the tipping thing.

Robin sounds awesome though! I wonder if he'll have upper-level tomes for custom moves, like Bolting.

No mention of Lucina being faster/lighter/aerial based then? That's a little disappointing, hopefully she does have more to differentiate herself besides the tipping thing.

Robin sounds awesome though! I wonder if he'll have upper-level tomes for custom moves, like Bolting.

We already seen Thoron which was pretty powerful. Covered like the full length of the stage with a fairly wide beam.

So Thunder IS the only one that you can charge. Nice. (Called it)

Running out of Elwind means no recovery though? Yikes! That puts a definite opportunity cost on that and forces Robin to stay on the stage as much as possible. Scary.

I'm guessing that once you're out of a particular spell, you're OUT. Probably refills once Robin gets KO'd if I were to guess.

Running out of Elwind means no recovery though? Yikes! That puts a definite opportunity cost on that and forces Robin to stay on the stage as much as possible. Scary.

I'm guessing that once you're out of a particular spell, you're OUT. Probably refills once Robin gets KO'd if I were to guess.

That seems a little too much.

Maybe ditching the spell and it recovers after a while?

Like the Levin Sword.

I think it's a possibility *shrug* But yeah, that's more than likely too.

EDIT: Have we seen that the Levin Sword recharges? I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about that.

Edited by BANRYU

We already seen Thoron which was pretty powerful. Covered like the full length of the stage with a fairly wide beam.

Well, yes, that's true. I was more referring to tomes like Blizzard, Rexflame, Flux etc. Just different tomes from the ones shown in general. Otherwise I'm not sure what they can do for his custom specials.

It's pretty obvious Lucina was a Marth alt at first, and Sakurai realized he could generate hype by billing her as a newcomer and not a costume, so he changed her up very slightly, gave her her own spot and called it a day.

Making the blind and reckless assumption that there is a part about her replacing a cut character, it raises a few questions. I remember Ownagepuff's theory about how maybe Chrom was the rep and Sakurai swapped Chrom for Lucina and/or Robin just to flip Gematsu off, and that's why the game was delayed. But I have doubts that Sakurai would willingly waste so much money and development hours on a character that's just gonna get thrown away, just to throw a leak off for all of two weeks until they announce Shulk right after.

The next character my mind flashes to is Lucas. With all the recent Mother 2 buzz, I feel if any Mother character is getting the boot, it's going to be Lucas. Again, making the assumption the Gematsu leak is true, Sakurai was debating whether to cut Ness or Lucas. Lucas (or Ness) gets the slammer after debate and to fill the extra slot Sakurai gives it to Marth's skin Lucina, and fixes her playstyle very subtly.

Now if we're disregarding Gematsu, which at this point is probably the best idea, we would have to think, what character could possibly cut so extremely late in development? I'm guessing it would be a third party character, maybe character rights went wrong. Snake, possibly? The Ness and Lucas thing could still apply here as well.

A lot to think about. And a lot to take with so few grains of salt, they're not even noticeable.

The next character my mind flashes to is Lucas. With all the recent Mother 2 buzz, I feel if any Mother character is getting the boot, it's going to be Lucas. Again, making the assumption the Gematsu leak is true, Sakurai was debating whether to cut Ness or Lucas. Lucas (or Ness) gets the slammer after debate and to fill the extra slot Sakurai gives it to Marth's skin Lucina, and fixes her playstyle very subtly.

Now if we're disregarding Gematsu, which at this point is probably the best idea, we would have to think, what character could possibly cut so extremely late in development? I'm guessing it would be a third party character, maybe character rights went wrong. Snake, possibly? The Ness and Lucas thing could still apply here as well.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

As much as I hate to admit it, that seems likely. I hope Sakurai brings another surprise, because I'm sure not ready to say goodbye to one of my mains.

Well, if Lucina really was added at the last minute to replace someone who got cut, I just hope that it wasn't Shulk or Isaac (or Geno, but Geno being planned for the game in the first place is about as likely as the Browns winning the Super Bowl). Those are the only ones I wanted more than Lucina in the first place.

That info from Famitsu is interesting.

I'm willing to bet that the cut character is Chrom. He's got a rather detailed model for a final smash and he is a first party character as opposed to the Mega Mans.

To be honest, I'd still believe in Gematsu if we get both Shulk and Chorus Kids.