SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

HTbh6IJ.jpg

(tries out making a caption for the pic of the day)

Luigi: You're supposed to be revealed on November!!

Peach: Well you're supposed to be revealed once the game roster gets leaked!!

I was actually hoping for an Event Match where you're Bowser and you face Mario, Luigi, Yellow Toad, and Blue Toad (the latter two being just regular playable Toad in different colour costumes) in Brawl's All Star Event Match style.

There is one small ray of hope regarding Toad being included. On Miiverse, for Peach's update, it specified for her (and not anyone else), that Peach's moveset was still being adjusted and the moves they showed off weren't final, which may mean Toad will no longer be Peach's standard B and it'll be changed so that Toad can be a playable character. I'm hardly expecting playable Toad (even if he was one of my top three most wanted newcomers), but that at least gives a slight ray of hope for people who are hoping for his playable inclusion.

Awesome caption.

It's a very small chance, but I'll keep holding onto hope. Sakurai loves surprising people, so putting Toad in the Peach picture deliberately to full people is a very Sakurai thing to do.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Thwomp is already in. He's part of Kirby's Stone ability.

But he's TIED DOWN by all of the other things that entail Kirby.

Awesome caption.

It's a very small chance, but I'll keep holding onto hope. Sakurai loves surprising people, so putting Toad in the Peach picture deliberately to full people is a very Sakurai thing to do.

Thanks. =D

I checked my Wii U for Sakurai's exact words and I copied down the quote Sakurai posted on Miiverse word for word:

Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released.

That was the post Sakurai made on the day of Peach's reveal. I'm not sure if Peach's moves being refreshed means Toad may be changed from her standard special to a playable character, but even if it's a very slim chance, it's still not entirely out of the question based on Sakurai's words.

I'm slightly disappointed that they revealed Luigi and Peach for SSB4 instead of newcomers. (I'm fine with them revealing Olimar) I mean, call me impatient but it was obvious that Luigi and Peach would be in SSB4 so I would rather they reveal newcomers or veterans that have a more shaky chance of returning (Olimar).

Edited by Kamina

I'm slightly disappointed that they revealed Luigi and Peach for SSB4 instead of newcomers. (I'm fine with them revealing Olimar) I mean, call me impatient but it was obvious that Luigi and Peach would be in SSB4 so I would rather they reveal newcomers or veterans that their possibility of returning is shaky (Olimar).

Olimar was guaranteed to return as well so I dno what you are playing at there.

Only character of a Miyamoto franchise, literally no chance of him being gone

Luigi was to obviously hype up the year of Luigi and Dream Team, Peach was to celebrate Mario 1 coming out 28 years prior on the same day.

While I'd like to see newcomers, veterans are never a sore sight. We may as well get them out of the way asap and in the coolest ways [promotion and celebration] though.

Edited by Folgore Red II

I'm slightly disappointed that they revealed Luigi and Peach for SSB4 instead of newcomers. (I'm fine with them revealing Olimar) I mean, call me impatient but it was obvious that Luigi and Peach would be in SSB4 so I would rather they reveal newcomers or veterans that have a more shaky chance of returning (Olimar).

We got probably at least a year to wait for Smash. I don't think Sakurai is going to waste much newcomer hype for a year prior to the game's release. I think that aren't too many shaky veterans.

I don't think Olimar was ever in doubt. He is Miyamoto's last child after all.

Pokemon next to coincide with the release of X and Y. It just makes sense. If Pokemon Trainer returns in his current form, he is a good option. PT can even return with the same Kanto line up, and still be a Kalos version of the protagonists, with the recent news.

Yeah, there aren't many shaky veterans. I'd say only Lucario, Snake, Sonic, maybe ROB, and to a smaller extent, Ike are shaky at all. Lucario because he's not the recent Pokemon generation anymore, Snake and Sonic because third party characters might only be a one time thing, ROB because I can think of more suitable characters, and Ike only because he's not liked in Japan. But even then, I still think Ike has a good shot of sticking around for other reasons that I've mentioned many times before. And I could be wrong about the third party characters thing on Snake and Sonic. I think Lucario is the most likely of this group to be cut though.

I'd say only Lucario... are shaky at all. Lucario because he's not the recent Pokemon generation anymore... I think Lucario is the most likely of this group to be cut though.

Why does that matter? Ike isn't the most recent Fire Emblem lord anymore either, so if Lucario's shaky for that reason, so's he. And Lucario is still used heavily by the Pokemon company, getting a Mega Evolution in X/Y, was used to advertise B2/W2 and is used to advertise X/Y. Hell, he replaced Zoroark as the mascot for Pokemon Smash, despite Zoroark being from the current generation.

Why does that matter? Ike isn't the most recent Fire Emblem lord anymore either, so if Lucario's shaky for that reason, so's he. And Lucario is still used heavily by the Pokemon company, getting a Mega Evolution in X/Y, was used to advertise B2/W2 and is used to advertise X/Y. Hell, he replaced Zoroark as the mascot for Pokemon Smash, despite Zoroark being from the current generation.

Except the difference between Ike and Lucario is that the former is more relevant to his franchise. Plus, Lucario now has Mega Mewtwo to compete with. And given Mewtwo's popularity, I don't see much hope for Lucario.

Edited by Anacybele

Except the difference between Ike and Lucario is that the former is more relevant to his franchise. Plus, Lucario now has Mega Mewtwo to compete with. And given Mewtwo's popularity, I don't see much hope for Lucario.

How is Ike more relevant to Fire Emblem than Lucario is to Pokemon?

And why not both, like they planned for Brawl?

How is Ike more relevant to Fire Emblem than Lucario is to Pokemon?

And why not both, like they planned for Brawl?

Probably going off of Priam and such.

Honestly I'd like to see both Ike and Lucario return, arguing between Pokemon and FE characters who in Sakurai's mind have different entrance criteria is kinda silly

Normal Criteria

"- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.

- The character must be unique

- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

- They must contribute to the game balance."

Pokemon

http://nintendoeverything.com/how-pokemon-characters-are-chosen-for-smash-bros/

“Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front. For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward. But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”
Edited by Folgore Red II

.... I'm just gonna be that guy that says "hey, instead of questioning who's gonna be cut, why don't we just cross our fingers and pray that what happened with the melee five DOESN"T happen again?"

.... I'm just gonna be that guy that says "hey, instead of questioning who's gonna be cut, why don't we just cross our fingers and pray that what happened with the melee five DOESN"T happen again?"

Or the forbidden 7.. which coexists with the 5

Edited by Folgore Red II

I'm not seeing why Lucario and Ike should leave. Yes, their popularity diminished a little since their peak in importance. Yet most fans still recognize them. Lucario is still quite popular in Pokémon, and has that Mega Evolution which puts the character in the spotlight a little again. Ike has a descendant in Awakening, Priam, and has of coarse the DLC character. He's also appearing in SMT x FE. While this also goes for Roy, I think Ike has the edge over him due to him having an unique moveset and playstyle. And international releases, and of coarse, 2 games as main character. IS also seems to favor him, second to Marth of coarse. Chrom being Ike 2.0, with concept art beingg extremely similar to Ike also is a hint to that. I don't see it necessary to cut him. He might be outprioritized by Chrom, but if they're gonna add a 3rd character, I'd think Sakurai would pick Ike over Roy.

Am also not too bothered as most with the '3 blue swordsmen' thing, which people argue against Chrom a lot. It's comparable to the trio of StarFox, Fox, Falco & Wolf. Yet all Lords would probably only share their Down B. Chrom might serve as an 'in-between' character of Marth and Ike. Which isn't too bad. As Marth and Ike already contrast in style a lot. And I'm personally fine with Falco and Wolf as they are in Brawl.

Though if they add 'in-between' characters as Chrom, that's a new type of character than we had before. Melee had full moveset clones, or with minimal changes (Ganondorf's Jab and Forward Aerial, Pichu's Up Smash) and Brawl had mostly semi-clones / "Luigi-fied" clones (Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Falco, Ganondorf) which where overall better received.

I'd be down if they added more in between characters. They could already do this with Falco for example, and change up both Falco and Wolf's playstyles a little. Would safe up a little development time perhaps, and have more characters in an unique way. Without directly cloning one character. Even though Lucas, Luigi and Toon Link for example could still be like that, but with more unique moves from Ness, Mario and Link respectively.

I think Roy still has alot of potential [also considering how many people would love for him to be back] for a revamped moveset based on his Sword of Seals attacks alone

[sheathing the blade after attacks, sweeps, flame based projectiles] but you are right on things I feel

I'd still like Roy to be in to, don't get me wrong. But I like Ike better. And I'm not gonna deny Chrom's chances. I just feel that Marth, Ike and Chrom are the 3 characters that'll most likely be the playable Fire Emblem cast. I'd still pick Roy over Chrom myself though. But I'm not to choose.