SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Sure as hell hope he will return though ^^

Maybe Sakurai throws darts at a pokedex poster while shouting I CHOOSE YOU

Bwhahahahaha, that would be the best thing ever.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, he doesn't throw darts.

He obviously has a roulette with ever Nintendo character in it.

Does the Mario Kart item roulette noise happen to be how it sounds? :P

The reasons I don't like talking about the roster as a whole, specifically who doesn't and whose chances are better than others' and blah, at least compared to just "how cool would it be if ___ was in," are that

-despite his "list of criteria," Sakurai pretty much does what he wants (not saying this is a bad thing, as it gave us some neat characters, but Ice Climbers? Pit? Fit Trainer? ROB? I'm pretty sure he just gets at least two slots per game with extremely dubious modern relevance at best where he just goes "fuck the police here's who I want in," just because he thinks they'd be cool, and it's basically still his game at the end of the day so that's fine)

-therefore, any of the conditions we try to apply to assessing a character's candidacy are situational at best, negligible in the scheme of things at worst (plenty of franchises which have characters that would be great in smash (punch out grumble grumble), and had high-profile releases not long after or even before the smash games have ended up released, whose inclusions would, one would think, yield benefits to either smash, their game, or both via hype factor, have been left out. It's likely that more reasons go into this, and into the selection of the ones that do get in, than we're capable of knowing without being on the dev team, and some probably aren't fully understood by anybody but Sakurai himself.)

and

-people take it personal when somebody says "___ has NO chance"

I'm as guilty as anyone, because it can come off like it's calling ideas that somebody holds close irrelevant, and people lash out at that shit

It just comes off to me as cynical at best, and a biased fool's game at worst. I don't think it's really conducive to getting hype

So troo.

Well, now we've seen every character so far revealed on both Wii U and 3DS. I guess this puts to rest anyone who still thought there might be roster differences.

Sakurai's 4 criteria:

- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.

- The character must be unique

- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

- They must contribute to the game balance.

Explain to me how any of those mean "Sakurai only adds characters who are 'relevant.'"

And Miss Fit is actually very 'relevant' (god I hate that word). Most Smash fans just didn't think of her as such because her games are aimed at a more casual audience.

I've got a challenge for you; name one video game character who can't fit under these criteria.

Leanne, Rafiel and Reyson.

You do realize how popular the Heron's are and that Reyson has shown aggressive tenancies before... Right?

In a way every character fits number 1: Somewhere out there someone wants a certain character in smash no matter how implausible it may seem

Edited by Jedi

You do realize how popular the Heron's are

That's in the FE community, though. In the general gaming community, I'd wager that they are practically unknown

and that Reyson has shown aggressive tenancies before... Right?

Yes, and he nearly shattered his hand doing so (and you can see him beating up Mario and Link?). :XD:

Oh, and I'm sure that they'd fail criterion #3, that "The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.".

Edited by NinjaMonkey

So troo.

I've got a challenge for you; name one video game character who can't fit under these criteria.

I would say a character like Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness does not fit the style of SSB. As much as I loved her game, it and she are too dark and wouldn't really fit in. It would also take away from her character.

And Solid Snake does... how, exactly?

Solid Snake isn't necessarily as dark as Alexandra Roivas is. It's not about violence. The tone of her character (and the game Eternal Darkness) doesn't fit Smash. Solid Snake can be really lighthearted character.

I never heard anyone call Metal Gear Solid a dark game. It's more of action thriller. But everyone agrees that Eternal Darkness is a dark game.

because Solid Snake fits in everything

He's actually quite like Batman in that regard. Batman is considered a dark character, and yet can fit into almost any situation. We have the Dark Knight, but there was also Batman: the Brave and Bold, which was a light-hearted animated series.

Edit: Fixed.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

Solid Snake isn't necessarily as dark as she is. It's not about violence. The tone of her character (and the game) doesn't fit Smash. Solid Snake can be really lighthearted character.

I never heard anyone call Metal Gear Solid a dark game. But everyone agrees that Eternal Darkness is a dark game.

Snake is a dude....

edit: I see what you're talking about, but your post is way too ambiguous

Edited by shadykid

Snake is a dude....

edit: I see what you're talking about, but your post is way too ambiguous

It wasn't ambiguous. I was comparing the two characters and explaining why Alexandra doesn't fit, not Snake. However, I changed it anyway.

I'm just trying to think like Sakurai. I've included Alexandra in wishlist rosters, but I don't see her making it in on those grounds, among others.

But Snake is sterile...

I think if Snake were to come back into SSB, he should use his MGS1 design, it doesn't look as gruff and mature as the MGS2 and 3 combination they used for him in Brawl.