SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

No, in case you haven't noticed, Chrom is different because unlike Inklings and K. Rool, Sakurai has openly stated that Chrom isn't happening because he considered him but eventually decided to go with a more unique FE rep (Robin). He has said nothing of the sort for other Mii costume characters (outside Heihachi, I think), as the only other characters Sakurai has outright deconfirmed are Ridley and the Ice Climbers.

Are you being intentionally obtuse or do you really not see the connection?

We got very obvious consolation prizes in Chrom and Heihachi. We also got other costumes released right alongside them. Sakurai doesn't need to state what each one means for us to make a reasonable assumption.

Also, in the specific case of Inklings, recall the nature of their Mii costume reveal. They were revealed in the Splatoon direct, shortly before the release of their game, around a month after the Smash ballot itself began, so why would Sakurai shoot down a popular ballot pick so early, when there were still tons of ballot votes to be considered? THAT is what makes no sense. It's not hard to assume that the Inkling Mii costume was more of a promotional thing than anything else, and it means very little (if anything) in the sense of Smash DLC.

Inklings actually have it even worse imo because they released an Inkling trophy. Why would they release an Inkling trophy and costumes if they had any plans to potentially add them as DLC for this game? It's more likely they're saving Inklings for the next Smash.

It also needs to be noted we haven't gotten any actual DLC characters yet. Sakurai stated Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu were all made pre-ballot, so there was no ballot influence on them in any way. This is why I don't think the "There's no precedent in DLC Mii costumes being added later as DLC characters" argument is in any way valid. Sakurai has given us nothing so we can either make the argument or counter it.

Uh, what? We haven't gotten any ballot characters, but we have gotten DLC characters. And none of them had a Mii fighter outfit released as DLC first.

Look, do I think it's outright 100% that any character given a DLC Mii costume won't become playable? No. But I'd be very surprised, because the most logical conclusion to draw from the Mii costumes is that these are relatively popular characters who were decided against for playable roles. Any spin on it to say otherwise is wishful thinking.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since K. Rool and Inklings aren't dis confirmed by the ballot, that means Isabelle, Akira, and Dunban confirmed!!!

that's literally how it sounds

it's a horrible slippery slope that since they win the ballot or something that means that all Mii costumes are invalidated. Why buy them if they could be DLC after all?

Also since with them and hopefully Wolf out of the way, Mr. 4th in Japan Bandana Dee and like 3rd in US Shovel Knight can take hold.

Complete with Dixie as a worldwide choice or Chibi-Robo just because.

Inklings actually have it even worse imo because they released an Inkling trophy. Why would they release an Inkling trophy and costumes if they had any plans to potentially add them as DLC for this game? It's more likely they're saving Inklings for the next Smash.

That goes against Sakurai's method of developing Smash Bros., where he has openly stated he never saves characters for the next game since he assumes every game he makes might be the last one.

And might I add, this could very well be the case for the Smash series. With Iwata gone, there's very little reason for Sakurai to ever make another Smash game, since Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS where made mostly as personal favors.

The problem with this comparison is that villains do not represent half of the world's population, nor are they a demographic that is typically given the short stick in video games.

You have a very narrow and biased worldview if you honestly believe this.

I don't think Smash desperately needs a 1:1 male:female ratio, but it could certainly be better than it is now, and the idea that villain representation matters more than female representation is absurd and, frankly, kind of offensive.

I also haven't a clue as to why this comparison was made in the first place. What bearing does the amount of female fighters have on the amount of villains?

First of all, there is no problem with the comparison because Super Smash Bros. DOES NOT and SHOULD NOT have to appeal to or represent the world's population or demographs.

Secondly, wow. Just...wow. Way to take my post RIDICULOUSLY out of context. This has literally nothing to do with any worldview or biased opinions of any kind. Way to take it out of context and try to politicize it. Just...wow.

Thirdly, it isn't absurd or offensive in any way at all. I mean, unless you're one of those "GAMEZ NEED MOOR GURLZ PEEPLZ!" persons. In which case, I feel sorry for you. There's literally no sexist meanings in my post at all. I repeat: You have taken it ridiculously out of context! Super Smash Bros. is a video game and pure fantasy so frankly I don't give two flying rat's butts if the male-to-female ratio is uneven! I'd love to play as more villains, though. 'Cause hey, like I said in my last post (which you took incredibly, ridiculously, way out of context, by the way), Smash Bros. is basically the only game where you can extensively play as Nintendo villains! That is more important than "Let's add Daisy because WE NEEDZ MORE GURLZ!" in my opinion. If you're offended by that, then...wow. Just wow.

Fourthly, the comparison was brought up because I said "it's be nice to have another villain" and someone else responded with "females would be nice too."

Why is it that when I come on here people frequently have to either:

A. Be a smartass to me.

B. Take my posts way out of context and basically trash me.

C. Make me feel ridiculously unwelcome.

Congratulations! You've fulfilled all three options! On the bright side, you've reminded me to never, ever try to debate Super Smash Bros. ever again.

I kinda think about it that doesn't Pichu hurts himself in any of the Pokemon games or was the HP damage effect only added in the anime and Super Smash Bros. Melee? (I did catched a Pichu in Platinum a while ago and I did one battle with Pichu and I didn't see his HP get dropped from an attack, but, I haven't finished and played the game yet in a while.)

Also, I managed to submitted around 30 vote in different IP addresses in different locations during in right at in the beggining when it first announced in June till today (which it's the last day) for the Super Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot. I managed to add a reason for the Ice Climbers (adding a reason for making Popo and Nana as one solo fighter - I did see someone in YouTube video mentioning about that suggestion) and put the Pokemon Trainer as a actual separate fighter with adding any Pokemon for his attack moves and also, putted an another vote on all the other cut veterans and add new ones like King K. Rool, Shantae, Asuka from Senran Kagura, Mike Jones from StarTropics, Impa, Quote from Cave Story, and Henry Fleming. But, I really hope to see who will might win tomorrow from the Ballot.

Since K. Rool and Inklings aren't dis confirmed by the ballot, that means Isabelle, Akira, and Dunban confirmed!!!

Nintendo villains are hideously boring though

Give us characters like Andy, Starfy, and Brittany always

Isabelle and Starfy are already assist trophies in this game and Dunban is already in Shulk's final smash. But, I don't think that's possible for the three to be playable in the For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.

While Dark Pit, Dedede, and Meta Knight are not villains, I couldn't really care about villains. Many Nintendo IPs have no characters, and if that means a ton of main protagonists or deuteronigists, I'd be fine with that.

But, King Dedede is a main antagonist in most of the Kirby games. Meta Knight is Kirby's rival and mostly appears as a boss in the series. Dark Pit is a former rogue antagonist due to the Time Skip and a boss in Chapter 7 in Uprising.

Edited by King Marth 64

Is it just me, or has the enemy A.I. gotten like...really good lately? And by good, I mean scary powerful. I mean, 5.5 classic was never any trouble for me. Now I'm getting dominated.

That goes against Sakurai's method of developing Smash Bros., where he has openly stated he never saves characters for the next game since he assumes every game he makes might be the last one.

And might I add, this could very well be the case for the Smash series. With Iwata gone, there's very little reason for Sakurai to ever make another Smash game, since Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS where made mostly as personal favors.

There is truth to what you say, though it's highly doubtful that this is the last Smash game, as the Japanese ballot page says the suggestions may be used for future Smash games.

There is truth to what you say, though it's highly doubtful that this is the last Smash game, as the Japanese ballot page says the suggestions may be used for future Smash games.

I have zero doubts that we'll get another Smash Bros. game.

But with Sakurai directing? That's an entirely different matter.

Nintendo villains are hideously boring though

Give us characters like Andy, Starfy, and Brittany always

-> says Villains are boring.

Proceeds to name 3 incredibly boring characters.

I can't believe people are still arguing about this.

I just want to see cool characters that I like without having to care about some loosely-defined quota.

I think these same arguments have repeated about 10 times in this thread.

Congratulations! You've fulfilled all three options! On the bright side, you've reminded me to never, ever try to debate Super Smash Bros. ever again.

It's unfortunate you should feel that way. I'd like you to keep in mind, however, that debating means leaving your position open to be scrutinised and criticised, sometimes quite harshly. However, attacks on your position do not equate to attacks on your person or character. The post from Red Fox you quoted, in particular, was conducted with the utmost maturity and clarity and brought up for consideration some very real issues. If you got enraged at the mere notion of someone disagreeing with you, then maybe it's for the better you never debate again. The age old adage holds quite true here: if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

If you decide to return to the debating scene, you would do well to remember all this. It doesn't happen too often, but the above is a good reminder for everyone else too. Stay civil, don't make it a personal matter. Let's have an environment that welcomes different views and opinions and debating them.

Everyone's clearly misunderstood how Sakurai selects characters. I have an insider source from my mother's cousin's uncle's friend's gardener's hairdresser. He has a dartboard covered with all the possible characters in his office. Taking a dart in his hand, he googles which characters would make people rage the most and then decides to pick one of them. It's totally legit, I swear.

In short, anything we have is speculation. I don't really see the need for hostility with regards to speculation. Besides, my mother was confirmed as a stage hazard ages ago.

Let's just only add female villains. Then everyone's happy!
Let's see... Medusa, Veran, Sectonia... I'm running out of ideas already. Any more suggestions? xD

...Ashera? Birdo maybe or maybe not? Mother Brain?

I dunno, difficult to think of many.

I still consider Birdo to be male.

Does Dark Samus count as female?

And with all his different costumes, we can surely dress K.Rool up as a woman, too.

Let's just only add female villains. Then everyone's happy!

Let's see... Medusa, Veran, Sectonia... I'm running out of ideas already. Any more suggestions? xD

Psuedo Palutena. Clones all the way.

...Ashera? Birdo maybe or maybe not? Mother Brain?

I dunno, difficult to think of many.

Only if it's the Captain N Mother Brain. Failing that, I know a way Daisy might have a shot.

c020b7ffea90ef2268f7a58e42a834fd.png

Twinrova tho

Everyone's clearly misunderstood how Sakurai selects characters. I have an insider source from my mother's cousin's uncle's friend's gardener's hairdresser. He has a dartboard covered with all the possible characters in his office. Taking a dart in his hand, he googles which characters would make people rage the most and then decides to pick one of them. It's totally legit, I swear.

sorry shin what he really does is painstakingly craft paper maché effigies of all the fan-favorite characters (this is why he's so overworked), then he burns them all until there's only one left

then he takes that survivor, and chooses a completely unrelated veteran to add as DLC

trust me my dad is a paper maché effigy that works at nintendo

-> says Villains are boring.

Proceeds to name 3 incredibly boring characters.

>implying Brittany isn't the best captain ever

>implying starfy and advance wars aren't superb

get gud for everyone else's sake and stop liking awful characters

Hey guys, I was checking the official Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U website to see if they might make any new updates to see if they post a release date to see when they will announce who will win, but, I checked the ballot again to see if they still closed or not, it's looks still haven't closed yet since it's still strange that this is still October 4th already. I could have thought that they possibly have closed the ballot right now?

Fighter%20Ballot%20is%20still%20open%20D

Posted · Hidden by Florete, October 5, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, October 5, 2015 - No reason given

It's unfortunate you should feel that way. I'd like you to keep in mind, however, that debating means leaving your position open to be scrutinised and criticised, sometimes quite harshly. However, attacks on your position do not equate to attacks on your person or character. The post from Red Fox you quoted, in particular, was conducted with the utmost maturity and clarity and brought up for consideration some very real issues. If you got enraged at the mere notion of someone disagreeing with you, then maybe it's for the better you never debate again. The age old adage holds quite true here: if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

If you decide to return to the debating scene, you would do well to remember all this. It doesn't happen too often, but the above is a good reminder for everyone else too. Stay civil, don't make it a personal matter. Let's have an environment that welcomes different views and opinions and debating them.

I'm sorry but when someone tells me I have an absurd, biased, and offensive worldview, then there's literally no other way for me to take it other than an attack on my person and/or character. Red Fox's post did not seem mature to me at all. It just wasn't. Of course I'm angry about it! And I'm even angrier that no one seems to get why I'm so upset!

I'm so freaking angry because Red Fox took my post (ridiculously) out of context and tried to make a political matter out of it! I'm sorry but you're talking about a game that has a giant fire-breathing turtle dragon, a couple of plumbers that can shoot fireballs out of their hands, an obese mallet-wielding penguin, a time-traveling princess, a space-fairing anthropomorphic fox, a yellow mouse creature with electric cheek pouches, and a gender-neutral tactician/avatar that can shout "THORON!" and shoot electricity out of his/her fingers, among other things...and you wanna talk about representing demographs? No, just no. In a game like Super Smash Bros., I don't give two craps about the male-to-female ratio! In a game like Super Smash Bros. with all of those fantastic creatures, I do not believe that the male-to-female ration matters at all.

I'm so freaking angry because Red Fox completely ignored the actual point of my post. It was clear that I wasn't being sexist. I was just saying that it'd be nice to see more villains like King K. Rool and Medusa. I'm so freaking angry because it was completely ignored that the point of my post was that Super Smash Bros. is basically the only game where people get to extensively play as Nintendo villains, so for that reason I feel that the hero-to-villain ratio is more important than the male-to-female ration.

I can debate just fine and I don't care if people don't agree with me. But if you're just going to ignore the obvious point and context of my post and just try to politicize it, then just go away. Just go. Keep the political junk for games like The Last of Us where it might actually matter.

Oh darn, I bet all those pointy-eared elves (pardon me..."Hylians") are so upset that Super Smash Bros. hasn't represented them enough!

I'll debate about Super Smash Bros. I'll bring up character discussions, character-versus-character debates for playability, all that jazz! BUT DO NOT POLITICIZE MY POSTS.

But hey, I'm of course the one being reprimanded for this. 'Cause why not?! No one ever gets my points anyway, may as well give out reprimands!

Am I clear this time? Or is someone going to take a tiny chunk of my post, take it out of context, and politicize it again?

Oh, and hey, guess what? I've said many times in the past "yeah more chicks would be nice!" But not for political BS reasons. Many of the characters I want just so happen to be female! Lyn, Daisy, Dixie Kong, Medusa, etc.

But hey. Yeah. I'm totally biased against women. I totally have an absurd, offensive worldview. Because Red Fox said so.

I'm upset because my post was seemingly taken in an out of context political way and I feel the rest of it was ignored. I was just trying to say that in a game with fire-breathing turtle dragons and yellow mouse creatures with electric cheek pouches, the male-to-female ratio and representing/appealing to real world demographs shouldn't matter, I was only trying to say that because of that and because Super Smash Bros. is basically the only game where you can extensively play as Nintendo villains, I feel that the hero-to-villain ratio is more important. That was all, I was not trying to be rude, offensive, absurd, or political in any way.

I don't mind if people don't agree with me, but please do not politicize my posts.