Version Exclusive Characters as well?

Anacybele

So, I've been thinking lately about something Sakurai has said. He said these words: "The number of characters will be the same, but some of the stages will be completely different."

The way he words this and the battle between fans on whether or not Ike is staying or getting cut in favor of Chrom got me thinking. What if not only are we getting version exclusive stages, but version exclusive CHARACTERS as well?

I believe Sakurai will include both, but so he can stay within his roster limits, Chrom will be exclusive to the 3DS version while Ike will continue to smash the smash in the Wii U version. Ike is still a top face in FE along with Marth since he has more starring roles than the others (except Marth) and he got nice references in Awakening (like a descendant and a friggin paralogue chapter named after him). It's clear that he's still important and that he has a large fanbase (at least out west). Ike also has more costume variety than other characters. He's got five different outfits now! Ranger Ike, Lord Ike, Hero Ike, Vanguard Ike, and Awakening DLC Ike. That's nearly a whole complete Smash Bros. set of potential looks. It would be easier to make costumes for him than most other FE characters, especially if we're actually going to see different costumes rather than just different color schemes.

Chrom also has a variety of looks due to being able to reclass. Marth obviously has a bunch of looks too.

Ike was also unique compared to Marth and could still be when compared to Chrom because of his hunkiness in RD and being able to wield two handed swords the way he does.

I think version exclusive characters would be a nice way to compromise fan demand for some characters and encourage fans to buy both versions. Here's another parallel pair I had in mind as well for this idea: Toon Link in the 3DS version, Ghirahim in the Wii U version. So TL doesn't have to be cut for Ghirahim in the Zelda gang.

Edited by Anacybele

Personally I wouldn't like Version exclusive characters. Let's say I was good with one character on the 3DS version but I couldn't use him in the Wii U version. I'd have to find a new main. Also I think they would update Ike to RD or maybe add awakening Roy in the game.

I think it's possible just because of how he worded it, saying the same number is not the same as saying the same characters. But I hope not. I want to be able to play as the Villager and he currently lacks 3DS screens.

I imagine it would be in Nintendo's interest to make everyone playable on both versions anyway. People who only own a 3DS likely already know about Chrom, but people who only have a Wii U might not. Playing as him in SSBWii U might encourage them to buy Awakening and a 3DS. Same goes for console characters if they're included on the portable game, might boost Wii U sales.

Mind you, Sakurai didn't use those words, if I'm thinking of the same video. A translator used those words. We'd have to see Sakurai's own words to be sure.

Good point. Has anyone seen the Nintendo Direct feature without the translated voiceover?

I'm leaning more towards believing this isn't the case. I mean, could you imagine the fan outcry about characters being locked towards one game? I haven't seen the fan outcry for the exclusive levels yet (I'd rather never go to GameFAQs forums ever again if possible), but I imagine it being much worse for exclusive characters. Sakurai also said he wants both the Wii U and 3DS versions to be enjoyable, standalone games, so I don't think he'd go that path.

I personally wouldn't mind though, as long as all the 20 Melee Veterans and central characters for reoccurring Nintendo series (Olimar is the only one I can think of that isn't a Melee veteran and still unconfirmed for SSB4) are available in both versions.

The way he worded it is ambiguous. But there is no reason to make such a statement other than to state the fact that there will be no version exclusive characters in contrast to how there will be for stages. Don't read into it. It is just a simple statement, not a riddle.

...Toon Link in the 3DS version, Ghirahim in the Wii U version. So TL doesn't have to be cut for Ghirahim in the Zelda gang.

Also, if there is any character that will not be available again, it is Toon Link. Especially on the 3DS, he's a stage prop for heaven's sake.

Also, if there is any character that will not be available again, it is Toon Link. Especially on the 3DS, he's a stage prop for heaven's sake.

That doesn't mean he won't still be playable. You forget, not every Toon Link is actually the same Link. In fact, Spirit Tracks Link, the one we see in that stage you're talking about, is not the same Toon Link we saw in Brawl. That was TWW Link. We could very well see TWW Link as the playable Toon Link again, or even a Four Sword Link, who still is not the same Link in Spirit Tracks. Not to mention we've got TWW HD coming up for Wii U.

I don't see what's wrong with version exclusive characters as long as there aren't too many. Of course a majority of the roster should be in both games.

Edited by Anacybele

Don't get me wrong, I love Toon Link. Also, you have a point how they're not the same characters, but it is still in bad taste if they had a stage prop and a character be almost identical to that degree.

I don't like the idea of version exclusive characters because it makes both games incomplete, I could care less if a stage is on one game and not the other. Unless... the 3DS version didn't have battlefield/final destination at all. Gimmick stages should balance out with nongimmick stages, hopefully the 2 games will at least share some stages and not have completely different ones.

They wouldn't be incomplete if you could then connect the two games and bring characters over to both versions. I hope they do this, as it was done with Mario Golf back in the day too.

I doubt it. The wording of that statement is really weird (he basically says "the number of characters will be the same, but there will be different stages"). That sounds to me like he was trying to say characters would be the same.

They wouldn't be incomplete if you could then connect the two games and bring characters over to both versions. I hope they do this, as it was done with Mario Golf back in the day too.

If the final purpose is to have both games connect to get the full roster, there's very little reason not to have every character on both versions right off the bat.

Not to mention, version-exclusive characters will make crossplay harder, which is something Sakurai stated he wants to do.

I'm glad to see the confirmation. The lack of pictures of Wii Fit Trainer for the 3DS ((SSB site only has Wii U pics of her)) was making me worry.