Xbox One to drop DRM Practices

Tryhard

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/microsoft-to-drop-its-drm-control-with-xbox-one-report/ - First Source, in case xbox.com is down.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update - Official sources.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa - Previous policies.

I still don't think people will run to scoop it up at $499 / equivalent price with the kinect but hey look Microsoft aren't completely braindead. The backpeddling and terrible original DRM practices is still going to hurt their public relations, though, IMO, but at least they are on a better platform to compete.

Edited by Kelsper

I was wondering how long it would take for them to cave in.

PS4 is still the cheaper option, and I think many people have already made up their minds.

I for one am enticed by the cheaper PS4, just like I was enticed by the cheaper 360 over the PS3.

It's not even just cheaper too. Previously the PS4 had a better price, AND better specs not to mention the stone age DRM policies of Xbone. Even removing the monolithic business model still means they have an inferior console with a less impressive price point. PS4 wins, hands down.

Yeah, I figured I'd better wait in case they go back again on this statement, but it looks like it's go-go time Don Mattrick stylee.

I'm kind of disappointed, actually. We had the chance to witness what was truly going to be one of the greatest fails in terms of video game consoles throughout the history of gaming, and it would have been glorious. Now that Microsoft have come down (slightly) from their own hubris, now all we're going to get is an Xbox that is pretty much just currently worse than the PS4, with worse specs (not by much, admittedly) and being more expensive.

Edited by Kelsper

Kinect scares me even without the whole recent NSA thing. Besides, XBone won't even be available in my country or has that policy been reovked too?

Last I remember, Asia had a planned late 2014 release... who knows if that'll change.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Well, it is now no longer region locked, too, so I guess you could import.

But you still need access to Xbox Live to do the initial updates to make everything work. I haven't heard anything about them making Live available in all Countries yet.

It's been announced by Don "just buy a 360 lolz" Mattrick, so it's likely that they're going on ahead with it. It needs a day 1 patch to implement though, which is telling on how far deep Microsoft was already in on implementing it.

LOL good one

now it's buy a 180 amirite