Marth poll

Chiki

72 members have voted

1. 1. Will Marth be in this game?

• Yes
    • No

I don't like him either, but he's been in the past two Smash Bros. games and he has a total of two FE titles plus two remakes, so yeah. He's the most representative FE character.

Marth's moveset flows, he's one of the better designed characters in SSB. He also represents Fire Emblem too much. Japan adores him and a lot of Smash players use him. So yeah, he's not gonna get cut anytime soon.

Yep. And he's definitely not going to be replaced by that Marth-wannabe Lucina. Marth represents the entirety of FE much better than Lucina could ever dream of doing.

I'm starting to hate Lucina with a passion, actually, thanks to her fanbase and people actually firmly believing Lucina will replace Marth.

Yep. And he's definitely not going to be replaced by that Marth-wannabe Lucina. Marth represents the entirety of FE much better than Lucina could ever dream of doing.

I'm starting to hate Lucina with a passion, actually, thanks to her fanbase and people actually firmly believing Lucina will replace Marth.

I don't like either Marth or Lucina, but I agree. I think it's stupid how there are people who actually think Lucina is going to replace Marth. If anything, she'll either be an assist trophy or costume for him.

Marth will probably speak English. He already has his remakes, after all. The only problem is who's gonna voice him.

I bet that those who actually believe Lucina will replace Marth are people who don't know crap about Fire Emblem outside Awakening.

Marth will probably speak English. He already has his remakes, after all. The only problem is who's gonna voice him.

I bet that those who actually believe Lucina will replace Marth are people who don't know crap about Fire Emblem outside Awakening.

I can't really think of a suitable English voice actor for Marth. I mean, it's kind of hard to replicate the awesome Japanese voice that helped make him one of my favourite characters in the first place, but have it in English.

Sadly, that isn't the case since many SFers who played Fire Emblem long before Awakening was annouced at E3 still think Lucina will replace Marth. And they're the ones that should know how much more important Marth is to Fire Emblem than Lucina...

I can't really think of a suitable English voice actor for Marth. I mean, it's kind of hard to replicate the awesome Japanese voice that helped make him one of my favourite characters in the first place, but have it in English.

Sadly, that isn't the case since many SFers who played Fire Emblem long before Awakening was annouced at E3 still think Lucina will replace Marth. And they're the ones that should know how much more important Marth is to Fire Emblem than Lucina...

I'm of the opinion that most Japanese anime voices are kind of generic, but yeah, I can agree with you on Marth's voice. I don't pay attention to names of voice actors, so I can't say. Who knows? Maybe there's someone out there who can fit the bill.

Seriously? I'm disappointed. I think they just hate Marth. Marth is big in Japan. Most of the non-game FE merchandise was on Marth's games, and if you search for fanart of him on Pixiv, you get a truckload of results. Besides, If the very first game - his debut - wasn't a hit in Japan, the FE series might not have come as far as it is today. Marth and FE have a much bigger fanbase in Japan than Samus and Metroid do, so if Samus is in the next SSB, Marth definitely should be, in my opinion. (No, I am not just biased against Metroid.)

Copying this from my Tumblr.

Replacing Marth with Lucina is like replacing Pikachu with Pichu.

We’ll might as well replace Mario with Baby Mario, replace Donkey Kong for Cranky Kong, replace Link for Deku Link, ect.

I'm of the opinion that most Japanese anime voices are kind of generic, but yeah, I can agree with you on Marth's voice. I don't pay attention to names of voice actors, so I can't say. Who knows? Maybe there's someone out there who can fit the bill.

Seriously? I'm disappointed. I think they just hate Marth. Marth is big in Japan. Most of the non-game FE merchandise was on Marth's games, and if you search for fanart of him on Pixiv, you get a truckload of results. Besides, If the very first game - his debut - wasn't a hit in Japan, the FE series might not have come as far as it is today. Marth and FE have a much bigger fanbase in Japan than Samus and Metroid do, so if Samus is in the next SSB, Marth definitely should be, in my opinion. (No, I am not just biased against Metroid.)

I actually thought of an English voice actor that would actually fit Marth quite well, the guy that voices Haku in Spirited Away would fit Marth's personality quite well. Well, more than any other English voice actor I can think of. Sure, he doesn't really the suaveness of Marth's Japanese voice actor, but he'd be able to portray Marth's determination, naivity, and compassion quite well.

I know, it's really disappointing, especially since the most prominent English Fire Emblem forum should have quite a few Marth fans. And I've also heard about now Metroid is actually not that successful in Japan and is mostly only successful in North America. Well, at least a majority of people on SF acknowledge and accept that Marth is the poster boy and mascot of FE. I have no idea what those "Lucina replacing Marth" supporters are smoking. Even people that aren't Fire Emblem veterans and just know Marth from Smash Bros. know that Marth is the icon of his series and isn't going to be replaced by some poser.

We’ll might as well replace Mario with Baby Mario, replace Donkey Kong for Cranky Kong, replace Link for Deku Link, ect.

Thank you. I've been making that analogy here on SF, yet people are still convinced Lucina will replace Marth. Lucina and Pichu are flavour of the month and will never have as much importance to the series as Marth and Pikachu, the mascots and most prevalent characters of their series ever since they first came into existance.

wouldn't go that far, if Fire Emblem explodes later under a different main character things could change (no, Awakening barely breaking a million does not count)

I actually thought of an English voice actor that would actually fit Marth quite well, the guy that voices Haku in Spirited Away would fit Marth's personality quite well. Well, more than any other English voice actor I can think of. Sure, he doesn't really the suaveness of Marth's Japanese voice actor, but he'd be able to portray Marth's determination, naivity, and compassion quite well.

I know, it's really disappointing, especially since the most prominent English Fire Emblem forum should have quite a few Marth fans. And I've also heard about now Metroid is actually not that successful in Japan and is mostly only successful in North America. Well, at least a majority of people on SF acknowledge and accept that Marth is the poster boy and mascot of FE. I have no idea what those "Lucina replacing Marth" supporters are smoking. Even people that aren't Fire Emblem veterans and just know Marth from Smash Bros. know that Marth is the icon of his series and isn't going to be replaced by some poser.

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything from Spirited Away, so I shall just take your word for it. Besides, after playing Shadow Dragon, I wouldn't really describe Marth as "suave" anyway.

I think Metroid's style just fits much better with the western fanbase than Japan. Legend of Zelda is also more popular in the west. Anyway, the Akaneia games are considered to be the weakest link in the series by the west. I'm not too surprised to hear about people wanting Lucina to replace Marth. If Sakurai and Nintendo weren't catering to Japan above all else, I may actually consider the possibility.

(Edited because I misspelled possibility. xD)

Edited by Crizix

I'm not much into anime as I used to but whenever I thought of Marth speaking in english, Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho always came to mind. He's got the bishounen look down (when human) and does show to very noble, intelligent and compassionate. Before Shadow Dragon, I imagined Marth's personality and voice to be just like his, if not really close

Edited by HeroKingMarth

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything from Spirited Away, so I shall just take your word for it. Besides, after playing Shadow Dragon, I wouldn't really describe Marth as "suave" anyway.

I think Metroid's style just fits much better with the western fanbase than Japan. Legend of Zelda is also more popular in the west. Anyway, the Akaneia games are considered to be the weakest link in the series by the west. I'm not too surprised to hear about people wanting Lucina to replace Marth. If Sakurai and Nintendo weren't catering to Japan above all else, I may actually consider the possibility.

(Edited because I misspelled possibility. xD)

Well, I was talking more about Marth's Smash Bros. portrayal being "suave." I'd admit he doesn't really act suave in the Fire Emblem games he stars in, but I still like Marth regardless.

Akanea, the weakest link in the west? That's really only because people were expecting Shadow Dragon to add mechanics like rescuing and support conversations (rescuing would've really broke the game and made it too cheap and easy, almost like adding wall jumping to the original Super Mario Bros. trilogy). I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if FE 1-6 was released worldwide since people wouldn't have been so spoiled by FE7-10 before playing FE11.

Besides, seeing how the west never got the first 6 games officially, their opinions should've even be worth considering regarding Fire Emblem, since Japan knows the whole series really well and have been familiar with it for a long time, while the west hasn't (thus, their opinions will be really skewed and their opinions of Fire Emblem won't take into account all the FEs).

wouldn't go that far, if Fire Emblem explodes later under a different main character things could change (no, Awakening barely breaking a million does not count)

I don't think I'm getting what you mean by that.

But if you're talking about a new FE lord becoming insanely popular and successful, that lord still won't replace Marth. I mean, if that happened in Pokemon, would you expect that Pokemon to replace Pikachu as the mascot of the series, when Pikachu has been established and promoted as the #1 most iconic Pokemon for many years?

Popularity != Prevalence or Importance Within the Series

Well, I was talking more about Marth's Smash Bros. portrayal being "suave." I'd admit he doesn't really act suave in the Fire Emblem games he stars in, but I still like Marth regardless.

Akanea, the weakest link in the west? That's really only because people were expecting Shadow Dragon to add mechanics like rescuing and support conversations (rescuing would've really broke the game and made it too cheap and easy, almost like adding wall jumping to the original Super Mario Bros. trilogy). I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if FE 1-6 was released worldwide since people wouldn't have been so spoiled by FE7-10 before playing FE11.

Besides, seeing how the west never got the first 6 games officially, their opinions should've even be worth considering regarding Fire Emblem, since Japan knows the whole series really well and have been familiar with it for a long time, while the west hasn't (thus, their opinions will be really skewed and their opinions of Fire Emblem won't take into account all the FEs).

Yeah, I got the same impression. Absolutely loved his SSBB outfit. Marth is still cool, though.

That's true, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't expecting it either. I completely agree with you about the west's opinion being skewed too. I don't think most appreciated the opportunity to play an older-style game because they were too used to all the features FE7 had. Besides, the original Sonic the Hedgehog game barely had a story, and everyone loved it. Same with Mario. I think FE1 worked like that.

People really do put too much emphasis on Shadow Dragon's bare-bones story and characters. It's a remake of the original; I think they kept it like that to be more nostalgic to Japan. Besides, it just means more room to the imagination for us writers, hehe. Everyone ignores the gameplay, which itself is stellar. Also, being the first to include reclassing, it opened a slew of possibilities regarding teams.

...Am I fangirling too much?

I don't think I'm getting what you mean by that.

But if you're talking about a new FE lord becoming insanely popular and successful, that lord still won't replace Marth. I mean, if that happened in Pokemon, would you expect that Pokemon to replace Pikachu as the mascot of the series, when Pikachu has been established and promoted as the #1 most iconic Pokemon for many years?

Popularity != Prevalence or Importance Within the Series

that's because Pikachu was the mascot when Pokemon became popular (which was obviously from the start)

however, Fire Emblem is a relatively niche series, meaning that Marth being "established" as the series mascot means jack squat if the series becomes "mainstream" under a new game and a different (well-liked) lord

Edited by shadykid