FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay two more errors i've found while fiddling around with v0.99b, both in the form of overly long strings. surprise, one of them also involves the "sanctuary" name! clearly i didn't think through suggesting this one all that much :P

hJ24CaE.png

easily rectified by just shortening this string to "Sanctuary"

kGl6PAO.png

yeah. imo in light of this, it might be best to revert back to "gant's lance" etc (the other two aren't affected, but if one's going back they all should)

Well, shucks. I'll consider my options for the manga weapons. First one should be an easy change, though.

I'll include these two corrections in the next update, which will also correct the mistakes found in the supports thread.

Edited by gringe

after doublechecking with fe7 i actually think it'd be acceptable to leave their names as they originally were and just prefix them with "a" for obtained screens. fe7 did the same thing with the afa's drops item, resulting in "Got an Afa's drops", and if it's good enough for that it's good enough for me :P

hi! just wanted to say this has been a great experience playing through an updated translation so far. the knight's lance error has been pointed out, but i did find another error: in 10B, when lot visits the topleft village, there should be a pause in the "Brother... You won't leave me, will you?" line. it automatically scrolls past the "Brother..." portion, which is bad since the dialogue takes three lines to display, not two.

thanks to everyone for the effort that has went into this patch!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a new version! Pretty much just a lot of small corrections.

0.99c changelog:

-Aligned the Class headers as reported by Chad and fixed by tabachanker. Thanks, guys!

-Changed the help menus for some stats to be consistent with FE7 and also added a missing period. Thanks, Chad!

-Changed the map title for chapter 24 to Sanctuary and not Dragon Sanctuary so it fits. Thanks, bookofholsety!

-Reverted the manga character weapons back to their original names because of length issues. Although strange grammatically, FE7 apparently used the same syntax even for Afa's Drops, so that's good enough for me to keep it the way it was. The dialogue still mentions the characters by name, which was my way of making up for genericizing their weapon names, but I don't suspect anything is lost by the passing mention of these names so I'll leave it unless someone can persuade me otherwise. :P Thanks, bookofholsety!

-Fixed a small formatting error when visiting Lot's house with Lot. Thanks, sim!

-Made a ton of typo and formatting fixes to the support conversations. Big thanks to DrPikachu for testing every last support and posting all the errors in the support thread!

With all the supports finally tested and all polished up, this may be the last time edits with FEditor will be necessary. I'll still sit on this version a while longer, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work! Time to start another playthrough, though knowing my luck, my R4 will break it right before the end again.

Are you planning on translating any other games after this one? (...and after a well deserved break, of course.)

Enjoy!

If I ever have time, I'd be interested in helping improve the other FE translation patches, but probably not as a "project leader" since they seem to be covered there. As for non-FE games, I feel like most of the interesting games on mainstream consoles have already been translated well enough (feel free to point me in the direction of something cool, though).

There's a whole treasure trove of untranslated RPGs and adventure games for old Japanese PCs like the MSX and FM-towns, so if I can figure out how to do the hacking, I think that's what I'd like to do most. Time to do it is a big issue for me at the moment, though. :p

You don't have to "like piracy" to know there's no legitimate way to play the game in English. :P

Not quite sure if I understood what you said, but what I meant was that if I liked downloading ROM images, I'd play Binding Blade with this.

Actually the GBA has no region locking, but the cartridge is long out of print.

SamusAran: I read your first comment as slightly hostile so sorry if I took it the wrong way. I'll just take it as a compliment. Thanks.

Not quite sure if I understood what you said, but what I meant was that if I liked downloading ROM images, I'd play Binding Blade with this.

Nintendo Virtual Console titles were nothing more than an HTML readme, a ROM image, and a basic emulator. You can even swap out the ROM and play other non-VC titles too, so long as the emulator could run them (they're not the most accurate emulators around).

So if you have beef purely with downloading ROM images, you'll want to avoid all Virtual Console releases, as they still work the same way, even up to the 3DS. If you don't like not paying for something, buy a copy of the new FE7 WiiU virtual console release, or of Awakening on the 3DS. Or just burn the money symbolically. FE6 stopped bringing in revenue for Nintendo years ago. If you buy a physical copy, your money is going to the seller, not Nintendo.

Nintendo Virtual Console titles were nothing more than an HTML readme, a ROM image, and a basic emulator. You can even swap out the ROM and play other non-VC titles too, so long as the emulator could run them (they're not the most accurate emulators around).

So if you have beef purely with downloading ROM images, you'll want to avoid all Virtual Console releases, as they still work the same way, even up to the 3DS. If you don't like not paying for something, buy a copy of the new FE7 WiiU virtual console release, or of Awakening on the 3DS. Or just burn the money symbolically. FE6 stopped bringing in revenue for Nintendo years ago. If you buy a physical copy, your money is going to the seller, not Nintendo.

Let's just drop the subject.

I imagine the problem is more with the fact that it is, objectively, illegal. It doesn't bring them revenue anymore, it isn't available in English legitimately, and ROMs are used officially, so there's little room for moral opposition, but it's still technically illegal. Some people view doing anything illegal as inherently immoral which, while not a viewpoint that I advocate, is certainly healthy for society. Of course, it's not exactly a common viewpoint in the ROM hacking section of the internet, for obvious reasons. And even if it's not for moral reasons, everyone fears being caught breaking the law.

I imagine the problem is more with the fact that it is, objectively, illegal. It doesn't bring them revenue anymore, it isn't available in English legitimately, and ROMs are used officially, so there's little room for moral opposition, but it's still technically illegal. Some people view doing anything illegal as inherently immoral which, while not a viewpoint that I advocate, is certainly healthy for society. Of course, it's not exactly a common viewpoint in the ROM hacking section of the internet, for obvious reasons. And even if it's not for moral reasons, everyone fears being caught breaking the law.

It depends on how far you want to carry that burden. If we're to shy away from anything deemed illegal, you have a lot of symbolic gestures that you're going to censor yourself from, such as illegal numbers and phrases, due to copy-right interests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_number

I don't think many are willing to walk those shoals, due to convenience--but our preference doesn't affect whether something is true or not: its still a matter of legality. It is a very arbitrary standing when one abides illegality (commercial ROMs) in once sense but ignores it in another (commercial phrases).

I notice that there is a little bug in the textures of fae when she transforms into a dragon // thanks for the hard work :D

oh geez, i completely forgot about that one! iirc it was caused by yet another feditor error, like when elphin's sound effects broke a while back, and should be relatively simple to correct for somebody who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me)

oh geez, i completely forgot about that one! iirc it was caused by yet another feditor error, like when elphin's sound effects broke a while back, and should be relatively simple to correct for somebody who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me)

[spoiler=]Fa Bug

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32239

Go to 0x59AA4 in HxD and make sure it is: 68 0B 6A 08

Edited by Belf

Glad that was an easy fix! Guess there'll probably be a v0.99d this weekend. :P

You should probably deallocate that address as free space in feditor so that it won't be overwritten again in the future.

Edited by Belf