FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome work man, I really appreciate the new translation.

I just found out about this (played FE6 a while ago) and I have to say something. I know this is meaningless but I really liked the grittiness in the translation I played where they swore. I dunno why. I also liked that narcian was kind of . . . uh . . . a rapist pedophile I guess? It made me want to beat him more.

I just really like dark fantasy though so I'm biased. I like seeing stuff like that because . . . well medieval times really sucked man. I guess it strikes me as more realistic but what do I know.

I just found out about this (played FE6 a while ago) and I have to say something. I know this is meaningless but I really liked the grittiness in the translation I played where they swore. I dunno why.

swearing alone does not make for grittiness, ESPECIALLY when it's totally out of context and doesn't match everything else going on around it. fe6 isn't a gritty story by any stretch of the imagination, and two instances of swearing devoid of context in the old translation doesn't change that

I also liked that narcian was kind of . . . uh . . . a rapist pedophile I guess? It made me want to beat him more.

narcian's character is completely unchanged in the new translation. all that's different is that his dialogue is now actually well-written

I just really like dark fantasy though so I'm biased. I like seeing stuff like that because . . . well medieval times really sucked man. I guess it strikes me as more realistic but what do I know.

okay sure, but i fail to see how two characters swearing out of nowhere suddenly makes a story dark fantasy when the actual substantive story and worldbuilding content is still right there, not really leaning in that direction

Narcian is still a rapist, women in the FE world are still being captured and sold as (sex) slaves, and people everywhere are dying because, you know, a king decided to declare war and kill innocents.

But really, the swearing is what sold you?

Edited by Kikirini

Narcian is still a rapist, women in the FE world are still being captured and sold as (sex) slaves, and people everywhere are dying because, you know, a king decided to declare war and kill innocents.

But really, the swearing is what sold you?

None of which needs (or should be) emphasized. Go to TVTropes if you want tvtropes.001.gif

None of which needs (or should be) emphasized. Go to TVTropes if you want tvtropes.001.gif

It should be emphasized as much as it was in the original Japanese. Not inflated, but not downplayed either. Narcian is one creepy motherf***er, and that ought to remain clear.

Not that I know of, but I thought Iron Rose was saying it should be. Although, in retrospect, I might have been reading too much into the post. I've been known to do that...

Teenagers have an unfortunate tendency to confuse edginess and 'grit' with maturity. I find such a tendency unfortunate, and I deplore making any subject matter more or less gritty or dark than it should or should not be. In the context of a translation, the purpose shouldn't be to artificially increase the age limit for the game by adding in swear words. Nor should it try to be gritty or edgy by introducing new concepts that were referenced at most in the source material. That's what I dislike.

This translation, fortunately, does falls into none of those traps. I think Gringe and co. have done a fantastic job and I applaud their work. I just think they should keep on doing what they're doing rather than leaping to appease some fourteen year old boy's masturbatory fantasies; to be honest though, I'm not too worried about it.

Teenagers have an unfortunate tendency to confuse edginess and 'grit' with maturity. I find such a tendency unfortunate, and I deplore making any subject matter more or less gritty or dark than it should or should not be. In the context of a translation, the purpose shouldn't be to artificially increase the age limit for the game by adding in swear words. Nor should it try to be gritty or edgy by introducing new concepts that were referenced at most in the source material. That's what I dislike.

This translation, fortunately, does falls into none of those traps. I think Gringe and co. have done a fantastic job and I applaud their work. I just think they should keep on doing what they're doing rather than leaping to appease some fourteen year old boy's masturbatory fantasies; to be honest though, I'm not too worried about it.

Total agreement here. :)

Also a graphical error or perhaps merely inconsistency I found with the "Solo Animation" Options. I'll just show rather than tell:

post-6923-0-64413300-1410579764_thumb.png

Compared to Blazing Sword and Thundering Axe (FE7)

post-6923-0-85128600-1410579804_thumb.png

Just wanted to throw that out since it looks like it should at least say "off" and not "?]"

Also in some areas I've noticed that units being carried are under the "Plays" stat rather than a "Trv" (Traveller) one. IDK if that's intentional or not? A similar thing is that it says "Supports" rather than "Allies" but I can rationalize and perhaps even agree with that.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Total agreement here. :)

In all honesty, Fire Emblem is pretty dark on it's own without any "help", especially Jugdral. I don't think they should add anything dark for the sake of it, and they shouldn't remove any content to make it more PG. I say, "Tell us in the tounge of the English exactly what is told in the tounge of the Japanese". That is where I stand as far as story and dialouge goes with some exceptions like Jahn's speech at the end of Blazing Sword and Thundering Axe, and of course anything/one who showed up in Awakening for the sake of consistency. Make it as consistent as possible regarding FE7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 13, (Esp 7 and 13, which should take priority over the other's terminology like "Halberd" rather than "Poleaxe") but aside from that keep the dialogue true to the source.

In all honesty, Fire Emblem is pretty dark on it's own without any "help", especially Jugdral.

Even Jugdral doesn't pass a 6 on my Dark-O-Meter. FE is still relatively lighthearted, compared to I don't know, Prince of Thorns or something.

Edited by Siuloir

Because children being carried off for ritual sacrifice by an oppressive Emperor who is possesed by an extremely evil God is G rated. I'm not saying it's 50 shades, but it is very, VERY dark by Nintendo's supposed G-rated standard.

Overall, Fire Emblem isn't that dark, but it certainly has its moments. The backstory of Awakening is dark as hell, and Henry is basically a walking case of PTSD. Random civilians die all the freaking time in Tellius, and the things they imply about Izuka's experiments are absolutely terrifying. Plus, there were certainly people on all the continents Ashunera destroyed in the backstory. Besides how depressing Lyon's story is in FE8, there's still the fact that a huge earthquake is inevitably going to kill a huge number of people in the near future and there's nothing anyone can do about it. FE7 has the zombie morphs at the end, which just about breaks poor Nino. Who, by the way, also has a seriously messed-up backstory. FE6 casually informs you of, or implies, the deaths of many FE7 characters, and as mentioned earlier, Narcian is one creepy, rapey bastard. Jugdral has the zombified Deadlords, which are people you failed to save. There's also the child hunts, the extermination of the first generation, the seriously f***ed up story of Tiltyu after Gen 1, traumatized and/or abandoned gen 2 characters, the Ishtar thing... And throughout the series, you can make characters kill parents, siblings, etc., or else get most all your own characters killed, tragic backstories be damned. And then of course, there are some seriously disturbing lines: "You! Woman! You have beautiful skin. If I sliced you into lovely red ribbons with this, would the pieces be as soft and delicate as silk?" *shudder*

Fire Emblem may not be the darkest series, but it's hardly light-hearted.

I'm not so sure I agree with that - all of those things happen, but they're both vague and not emphasized, and treated lightheartedly. That works rather well for Fire Emblem thematically. Horrors are occasionally shown, but not dwelt upon or really explored in any way. It works for FE, and making it into some ridiculous GoT-esque idiocy is really just stupid and clashes with the themes of the base game. It'd be like trying to make FE into some WH40k sorta thing and convincing yourself that it made the series mature.

Maturity and "dark" are two very different things. It's good to keep that in mind.

I agree that it's stupid to try to make it darker than it really is, but it's still fairly dark. You know you can't honestly say that the child hunts weren't emphasized, and many of the Awakening children talk about their parents deaths in support conversations, to name a few. It's true, no one ever gets turned into a pile of gore on-screen or anything, but...

If I might delve into Zelda A bit... Majora's Mask is on the surface very lighthearted, but as you progress you'll start to notice the overarching theme of Death, or Shi/4, and the fact still stands that there is a giant moon waiting to kill everyone and everything that you see reach it's destination in the game over screen. Some of it, like Ikanea Valley, is very up front, while others are more fridge logic esqe. And going to the base mechanics of FE- a freaking selling point/ mechanic is that people die. Another thing that stands out to me is the implication of suicide with Lorenz in FE12, with the dialogue and sword attack sound implying it.

There are two major crimes someone can commit when translating or creating- that is trying to make something darker than it is, which resulted in Twilight Princess which I don't particularly care for as much as Wind Waker, but antither crime is sugar coating it. The child hunts were very up front, so keep it that way, but at the same time if Narcian's rapism is simply alluded to in the Japanese text simply allude to it in the English text.

Hooray Zelda references ! :P For all the dark, creepy undertones of Majora's Mask, the thing that still creeps me out the most is the one I don't fully understand: the relationship between the Moon Children and the Mask Salesman. Seriously, what is he?

...But back on topic. Narcian's rapey intentions are only implied, albeit strongly. I agree that it should stay that way, and I think so does everyone else. I just misunderstood in the first place.

Dark is relative, I suppose. Fire Emblem is dark compared to the average game, but if your standard is, say, Silent Hill or Elfen Lied, then Fire Emblem is like skipping through a field of daisies. Overall, I'd call it "darker than average." A few games, like Genealogy, I'd call "fairly dark." A few particular aspects, though, are "seriously dark," although most of them are only implied.

Here's the fixes for the tutorial and epilogue graphic problems:

tutorial:

Apply this to an untouched v0.98 rom. i don't know why sf won't allow me to attach it

Epilogue:

0xA22001 - 00 80 > C0 7F

Come on Gringe, let's get version 1.0 out now!

Edited by Barth