FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Hey i was playing in gba4ios and i noticed one more thing // the name of a item in your patch and i think all the traduction patches of this game are wrong says (but what abc... ) the item number is 0x55 - Magic Dragon Stone like in the original version :O // maybe you can fix the name :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t34.0-12/10360341_10205766450464255_4560912060128442817_n.jpg?oh=dfa2d925bdab9f98ae7d9c02b590d1b3&oe=54976E87&__gda__=1419272884_873687b8008493ae246dd7e87bad78e9

Thanks for the patch is awesome !!! :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't recommend trying to fix that one (or any of the other unused items)! the old translators used those text string slots to store certain parts of the script, presumably as some sort of space-saving measure. that's a chunk of the script you're looking at right there: part of chapter 9's opening, to be exact. obviously i'm not all that technically minded so i don't completely understand why they did it, and while i assume it's more than possible to repoint it and restore the item's name, it might be more trouble than it's worth

the end result is a bit glitchy on the item side of things, i've observed while fucking around with the unused items, but frankly that's what ALL unused items are like in some way or another :P

Edited by bookofholsety

Yeaaaah, I'll just leave it, then.

As promised, here's 0.99d.

https://www.mediafire.com/?j88e9d60x96hzzl

Changelog:

-Fae graphic glitch fixed

-A couple typos in the long endings fixed. These were pointed out in the Support Conversations thread but I forgot to do them before

-The "M" in "S/M" in the stats part of the Unit menu was fixed to look normal

That's all!

i've done a bit of fucking around with various elements of the game today, so i may as well dump what i have here. (incidentally, i didn't end up starting a cleanup of the chapter title font, aka the one thing i told gringe last night that i would do today :P)

first of all, THE CREDITS. unnecessary as hell, but hey, i remember it being discussed earlier

here's a huge chunk of hex

61 64 61 00 20 4D 61 73 61 68 69 72 6F 20 53 61 
6B 75 72 61 69 0A 20 61 6E 64 20 74 68 65 20 73 
74 61 66 66 20 6F 66 0A 53 75 70 65 72 20 53 6D 
61 73 68 20 42 72 6F 73 2E 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 
20 4D 65 6C 65 65 00 00 4D 61 73 61 6F 20 59 61

paste it from 0027AAD0 to 0027AB1F and that'll localise one of the special thanks credits to this:

tumblr_inline_ngxih9v5EV1qgv466.png

slightly better aligned than the original, if i do say so myself!

there's a few other credit entries which need their spots of engrish corrected, but first i need to figure out what "PUBLISHMENT" is actually supposed to be

next up, the link arena. it's the problem that just won't go away, and while i've done exactly jack shit with a side of fuck-all to change that, i did spend the afternoon combing through it to note down all the problems it poses and to see what little we might actually be able to address with little effort. here's some easy shit which could be addressed now and some other observations

first, text strings... or at least the ones feditor is actually showing me. here's some quick fixes we can get over with as things stand, all in feditor:

• swap around the text strings 0x06D3 ("Setting up. Please wait...") and 0x06D7 ("+Control Pad: move/B Button: back."). the former displays in the rankings menu, while the latter displays in the multiplayer lobby screen
  • here's a couple of changes to make here to achieve consistency with fe7
    • 0x06E5: replace with "Each unit receives 30 extra pts." (n.b. this string has a typo in the current patch, with two periods at the end of the sentence)
    • 0x06D4: replace with "Set whether to hide enemy units."
    • 0x06D5: replace with "Set victory conditions." (n.b. this string runs far too long in the current patch, and cuts off the last letter halfway through)
    • 0x06D6: replace with "Set units to equip automatically."
    • 0x06D9: replace with "Press START to begin."
    • 0x06DA: replace with "The rules for this battle."
    • 0x06DD: replace with "Select player to move first."
    • 0x06DE: replace with "You move first."
    • 0x06DF: replace with "P1 moves first."
    • 0x06E0: replace with "P2 moves first."
    • 0x06E1: replace with "P3 moves first."
    • 0x06E2: replace with "P4 moves first."
    • 0x0C48: replace with the following, complete with the control codes:
      Linking error.
      Turn the power off, check[.]
      the connections, and retry.[.][X]

that, i think, is just about everything that can be done with feditor. all the remaining strings, mainly the names of menu options, aren't accessible through it and clearly require some more SERIOUS BUSINESS HACKING. should anyone want to figure it out, i've mapped out exactly what needs changing

so, er, yeah. kind of a big day in shit nobody cares about

EDIT: added one more needed feditor text change which i only just noticed. sure, it's one that literally nobody will ever see, but it's the thought that counts :P

Edited by bookofholsety

Cool! Thanks for going to the trouble.

there's a few other credit entries which need their spots of engrish corrected, but first i need to figure out what "PUBLISHMENT" is actually supposed to be

If I had to guess I'd say it was publicity type stuff in magazines and whatever (because this game got a lot of coverage in video game magazines at the time). Can't quite think of a good catch-all word for that off the top of my head, though.

Publishment is, apparently, a word. It's an archaic word meaning "public announcement of banns of marriage". "Banns" means "an announcement in church of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place." ...So, yeah, entirely unhelpful. Maybe just go with "publicity"?

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this was supposed to be fixed (you seemed aware of the problem back in a post in August) but the cheapest priced Hugh's stats are... interesting to say the least.

b45b1d9600c785d067d654fe3be09ee2.png

from what I recall, they didn't bork until after chapter 16, but I honestly can't say for sure since I never used him to attack anything and I didn't check his stats in 16x either, this is just how he was at the start of chapter 17.

Edited by General Horace

I've heard of the problem, but I've only heard of one instance of it happening and I wasn't able to replicate it.

Another FEditor problem, I wonder? I've bought Hugh for the cheapest price in my test playthroughs and had no problems like this. Did you update the patch mid-playthrough? Doing this will most likely cause stat issues.

If it's not caused by FEditor or patching halfway through, then it may be a rare glitch present in the original game... There are some other glitches that have been reported that weren't caused by us. :P

nah, it's been the same patch throughout. It's a total non issue since i'm not using him anyway, but it's still strange, after chapter 16 I stopped playing for a good while and just picked up the file again the other day, so I can't really say if I did anything different...

paying hugh the least amount of gold now the best strat

i'll see if I can replicate it if I play through again though.

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've last posted here. But here I am with probably my last work on this project.

I fixed the file size of the translation patch. Instead of being about 17MB, it's now at a respectable 9.12 MB. I attached the .ups patch in this post. You must apply this patch to the original FE6 japanese ROM. The reason is that I couldn't get the ups patch to delete the extra bytes. All it could do was zero out all the unused bytes, so the file was still 17MB with a s***load of 00s at the end. Gringe, I based this fix on your latest posted version 0.99d. So, if you decide to use it, you should apply this patch to the original ROM + redo all your fixes since that version.

The good news: After applying this patch, if you make new changes with FEditor, it will append them at the end of the file. So don't worry about making other changes, the file won't grow back to 17MB! (Well, that is if you don't make 8MB worth of changes!)

The bad news: I had to relocate a bunch of stuff. I used FEditor to export then reimport all the texts. I moved a lot of bytes, in and out of the original ROM (the first 8MB of the file). So basically, everything should be retested. Anything could go wrong here: garbled text, text in the wrong spot, bad graphics, wrong colors, etc.) I made absolutely sure that every changes I did was OK and didn't disturb the rest of the game so, in theory, everything should be fine. In the next couple of weeks, I'll use this version to play the game (my first run through this game!) If I find something wrong, I'll report it here with probably a fix (if time permits).

Gringe, feel free to use or not use this fix in your official release. I know that testing the game again is a lot of work so don't worry about me if you decide not to use it! I think it's worth it though 8-).

UPDATE: Found a bug in FEditor... see my post below for a workaround.

UPDATE2: Found a label misaligned: In status screen, the objective labels (seize throne, seize gate, etc...) lost their leading spaces, making them blend with the label "Objective:". The problem can be fixed by adding the spaces again to the text but I much prefer changing the Xpos where the text is written. And I just found it: put a $31 at offset $7376A! If I see other misaligned labels like that, I'll correct them in the same manner and put them all in a single UPS patch. It's much cleaner than adding leading spaces to labels!

0.99d compressed (apply to FE6-J).zip

Edited by tabachanker

OK sorry for the double post but I think this is important enough to warrant its own post.

The game seems fine so far with the compressed ROM version BUT, there's apparently a bug in FEditor when the ROM file is below 16MB. The first time you open the "< 16MB" ROM file in FEditor, it works well enough. You can edit text and save and FEditor will happily and correctly do the changes. You can test your ROM file afterwards and everything is OK, your changes appear on screen.

BUT, when you try to reopen your ROM file a 2nd time, FEditor throws an error at you and refuses to open it. It seems that only when the ROM file is < 16MB that FEditor behaves that way. Fortunately, I found a workaround.

1. I appended a lot 00s to my compressed ROM file so now it weights exactly 16MB.
  2. In FEditor main window (titled: Memory and free space manager), you can tell FEditor which addresses inside your ROM file are OK to overwrite. So I added the free space from offset $0091F492 to $01000000, that is from the end of the current text (at about 9.1MB) to the end of the file (16MB).
  3. Saved the new file.
  4. Now if I look at the end of my ROM file, FEditor appended a couple of bytes probably to keep that allocation in mind.
  5. I tested by changing a couple of text. FEditor uses correctly the memory allocated (from $0091F492 onward). And no more errors when I try to reopen the new file. I tried making changes and saving each time as well as reopening the ROM file afterwards a couple of times. All seems to work now

FEditor will continue to append the new text at the end of the current texts (currently at 9Mb). When all will be said and done and you won't need to change anything anymore, you will just have to strip the ROM file of all extraneous bytes, starting at the location where FEditor put the last corrections. This way, you'll have a neat little ROM file at the end while being able to edit it before the 1.0 version day.

Even if, after a while, you decide to make other changes, you can do the procedure described above again to be able to reuse FEditor without errors.

So here's the new ups patch. Apply this one again to the original FE6 japanese ROM. It is the same patch as the one before + all the 00s to pad to 16MB + the FEditor memory allocation done.

FE6 0.99D 16MB vers.zip

Edited by tabachanker

OK, I know what's wrong when FEditor tries to change an FE6 ROM < 16MB. Basically, everytime you open a ROM, FEditor tries to patch it with a couple of hacks of its own. One of them is the hack which lets the game read uncompressed texts as well as normal compressed ones. FEditor needs this hack since the texts codes it generates aren't compressed.

The problem is, it needs somewhere safe to put this hack. The programmers chose to put it at offset $E00000, which is at about 14MB inside the ROM. FEditor doesn't check if this address is outside the ROM's current range and if it is, FEditor sort of crashes (elegantly, with an error message, but still...)

I may be able to correct this. I checked the Java source code, located the place where the error occurs, know what to change and I can recompile the java code. If I do this, you will be able to still use FEditor + use my ~9MB version of the ROM (ups patch in my 1st post in this thread page).

Gringe, is this something you'd be interested in? Or do you prefer to keep your current FEditor version + the 16Mb version of the ROM (where you can still strip the extraneous data once you're finished with the translation)

Now, I started playing the game. I'm now on the 1st gaiden chapter. I've only encountered one typo:

• Chapter 3 Ending (Text ID 006E)
    • How did Bern SUMMMON dragons...? (there's three Ms in there!)

Also, in the units menu, help text for some column headers aren't right. Here's the 3 problematic ones:

• S/M (Text ID: 0668)
    • Current text: Current level.
    • FE7 text: Strength or magic power. This affects attack ability.
  • Equip (Text ID: 0669)
    • Current text: Name of the weapon.
    • FE7 text: Weapon or magical tome being used.
  • Cond (Text ID: 066A)
    • Current text: Person whom can support with this character.
    • FE7 text: Physical condition. Default is normal.

And since I know you like things to be as close as possible to the other games, there's another column header which is close but not totally the same as FE7:

• Max (Text ID: 0667)
    • Current text: Current Max HP.
    • FE7 text: Current Max HP. Potential Max HP.

One last thing, when I moved the text to compress the ROM, all the leading spaces of all the text IDs were lost (this is my fault, and a bit FEditor too!) I did a search of all the potential problematic texts. Fortunately, only 3 were affected.

• All the objectives texts (seize throne, seize gate, etc.) (IDs 090F to 0935). You can just use the fix in my previous post without reintroducing the leading spaces in those texts.
  • " broke!" (IDs 0C72 & 0C73). Those 2 you'll have to rewrite the space before the word "broke".

Those are the only things I found so far! I must say, I really like the work you've done with this translation. Keep up the good work!

Edited by tabachanker

Question... Would this patch work alongside other patch's like the Roy promotion time change from ch.21->16/x as seen in this thread?

Divine Sword

...I am fairly newbish when it comes to romhacks... NUPs is great for its simplicity for me. Anyways, So if it does work, which do I patch on first?

Thanks for any help with this and kudos once again for all your hard work.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

This is my first post here after browsing here on Serenes for a long time, but I just wanted to say thank you for the awesome Fire Emblem 6 translation patch. With it (and the numbers patch), I was finally able to finish Fire Emblem 6 recently after many previous attempts which didn't get very far. It might not be the best game in the series, but it being the sequel to Blazing Swords makes it interesting enough to at least play through once.

I did notice some oddities on my play through, however, and I'm not sure if they were caused by the translation patch or the numbers patch.

10A (Left Route, Echidna Route, etc.) Gonzalez was level 11, but everything I've seen says that he should start at level 5 on the 10A route.

Gant's Lance (and Al's Sword, etc.) had the exact same stats as the Iron counterpart, when I vaguely remember that they should have the strength of Steel but the weight of Iron.

That's it! Overall a very quality patch. It is strange seeing some of the different names than in the older translations, though shouldn't Rutger technically be named Rutoga, since that's how his name appears in Super Smash Bros Brawl? I haven't read through the whole thread to see if all the names were going by the "official" version or not.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great work!

Edit: I am also interested if there is a way to make Roy promote after 16 instead of basically right at the end of the game. It would go a long way towards making Roy an actual usable unit instead of being a passenger flying across the map to seize every chapter.

Edited by Eselred

TheErrantShepherd: Honestly I have no idea. It depends on how it's handled in the other patch. Whether it'll work, I'm leaning towards a "probably not" but you could gamble it and try anyway. :P

Eselred: Those are both changes made by the numbers patch. As for names, SSB translations were given a low priority. The basic way name spellings were decided was like this:

Names in FE7 or Awakening > Mythological, historical, or literary references (this is why we have Yoder and Milady) > Plausible or nice looking names that are accurate to the Japanese katakana rendering and suit the character (this is admittedly very subjective, but it's why we have Jerrot instead of Zealot and Wade instead of Ward, among others)

My general conclusion was that Smash Bros translations aren't given much effort so they could basically be ignored. The reason we went with Deke and not Rutoga is because we decided the former looked better than the alternative (Dieck) and the latter didn't.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Edited by gringe

@TheErrantShepherd

I checked the content of the UPS patch. First, it's about 512KB, which is far larger than changing a few bytes in the ROM. You shouldn't need that many changes in the code to promote Roy earlier. So that UPS patch must contain other unknown things. Also, it seems to change a lot of bytes all over the place. Since we've also done just that here with this translation, the chances that there won't be any collisions in the 2 patches is very slim.

@Gringe

Cool! Keep the 16MB version then, I think it's the most reliable one for now. Keep your last version handy though (0.99d, before the compression). There shouldn't be any problems at all.... but you never know! If you have the time, I would suggest that you do a couple of bogus editing tests on the new ROM. Just to see if FEditor handles it well after editing and saving a couple of times.

Kudos, much appreciate you taking the time to help me out like that with advice. :)

...yeah, guess I'll just have to go with the base game... Too bad about how that nerfs Roy's viability. :\

...unless someone has a copy of one of the trans vers with just that slight change?

Yeah, think that will be what I shall do. Then try something spiced up.

I just dislike the idea of a main character being semi-useless at points... So I don't really want to have anything other than the base experience, except that one change to Roy's promotion time. :/

Thank you for the quick response and explanation. Are there any plans to release a new translation patch any time soon, or is the project finished? I'd like to do an FE6 "numbers patch" of my own someday to make it more enjoyable for myself, but I'd hate to do a lot of work on it and then have a new translation patch be released.

Also, I really miss Zealot, but now I understand your methodology for how to name the characters. Rutger sounds way cooler than "Rutoga" too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game. I missed a lot of things since it was somewhat of a blind run. But the 16MB version of the game seems to work pretty well. No bits of text were misplaced by my data movements.

I tried the trial maps yesterday and noticed that the "objective" labels are also misaligned because they do not have their leading spaces anymore. To correct this for the trial maps:

• At offset $08AFE0, change the $70 to $88. This will push the objective (ex: seize throne) past its label "objective:".
Edited by tabachanker