The Royal Sprite Topic of Myself

MarioKirby

Cool. I love how creative your stuff is, keep it up! Muscles are always a good option. ;)

Thank you!

The point of the muscle-y arms is so I can make them look better when stuff is put on over it. Very little of the arm itself will be visible on the finished product. So, I'm really looking for critique on those before I proceed further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waààaaaaaaaaaaa....aaaat do you mean that isn't a comment? >.>

Anyways, nice. Definitely coming thru strong with the design. Plans to animate it? Or just for fun really?

Just for fun and for the challenge. I had given myself a goal of spriting 100 of my favorite characters with a limit of one per game. It kinda fell to the wayside, but I decided to try and finish it this time.

...And something completely different:

ri37L3C.png

And before I explain this, I need to show this:

6yGjWWx.png

So, the bottom image is several attempts at taking 8-bit protagonists and updating them to more modern designs. Save for Samus, they all came out pretty good.

With Mario, however, I decided to take the update and try to sheet it. For the longest time, though, I was stuck on the legs of the even-numbered frames. Now, I've finally got something that looks kinda decent.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm digging the puffin' version of Mr. Goatee. Although, his hair and jacket seem rather saturated in color compared to his skin tone.

Blondie suffers from the same issue in that his facial features stick out too much compared to the hair and skin colors.

Keep up the good work, though. This stuff is turning out great.

I'm digging the puffin' version of Mr. Goatee. Although, his hair and jacket seem rather saturated in color compared to his skin tone.

Blondie suffers from the same issue in that his facial features stick out too much compared to the hair and skin colors.

Keep up the good work, though. This stuff is turning out great.

I'll try and experiment with the colors, but for the most part, I like the palette I'm using now, the biggest exception right now being Blondie's hair color.

And speaking of Blondie, my intention was to have the facial features stick out a bit. To me, it makes the style cartoony-looking. Still, in future updates, I'll see what can be done.

The guy whose outline you're not sure of seems a bit lumpy between the neck and the shoulder. I'm not an expert at customing, but I don't think that little lump should be there.

Also, nice Ike. Why FE7 colors, though?

Were it finished, I feel the lump you're referring to wouldn't be as pronounced. Even so, I'll keep that in mind when I go back to it.

I don't really remember why I went with FE7 colors, though I'm fairly certain I had a reason. I also have one with FE8 colors, but that's on another file.

w8ro7ej.png

Finished up Blondie's general design, fiddled around with expressions on the original two, and started on a lady design. I haven't incorporated some of the suggestions yet. I also want to fiddle around with Blondie's hair color a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really anything new, but

Gx9Wyj5.png

I decided to compile all of my non-mugshot custom character sprites into a single image, custom being defined as not directly or partly based on an existing character design-wise. So... Yeah.

The hand puppet (?) guy looks pretty cool! The fighter next to him makes me think of a Link who decided to become a woodcutter instead of the hero of Hyrule, heh.

It's based more off of a marionette, but thank you! The other guy wasn't originally supposed to look similar to Link, but instead he looked too much like an FE4 boss, so I changed it to what he is now.

Some other, non-related stuff:

nWx2TUM.png

JvqneWn.png

Two random pieces, both still WIPs, although I'm not sure if I'll do anything else with these once I do finish them. They're kinda like doodles, really, but in MSPaint instead of on paper.

YLf4RmN.png

And a return to this. Started a walking cycle and fiddled around with his face on the third sprite in the top row.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

8xmRiZP.png

Decided to make a sprite of this character in a NES-to-SNES or NES-to-GBA update style.

2mEHHvo.png

I also did a rough "sketch" for this guy that I'm now in the process of fixing up.