FE7 Map Sprite Issues

ghast

Hello all.

I'm having really bad luck with trying to insert a map sprite. I've followed Blazer's tutorial, Arch's tutorial, asked in other fansites exactly how they described it but this keeps on happening.

zmYTHZX.png

to

RCqFVw5.png

The palettes are all messed up for anything that's not my sprite's standing frame or any other not blue units.

all of the colors in my sprite are that of Lyn's. I've tried to figure it out but I just don't have enough knowledge in this kind of stuff.

I've obviously overlooked something or didn't load something right.

please help me on this,

thank you.

Ghast.

Did you change the pointers in nightmare AFTER inserting the image in GBAGE? If yes then try re-inserting the moving frames in same spot. For some reason saving in nightmare kinda undoes the image insertion. Basically check in nightmare to see if the pointer is what you changed it to or if it reverted because that can also happen. Make sure you're pointer is set in nightmare 100% then insert again.

Edited by Brendor the Brave

if you edited the GBAGE-insertable image with microsoft paint, don't do that

what you should do is dump a set of sprites that match your dimensions, open that IN USENTI OR GIMP (or some other program that preserves the internal color palette, photoshop is the only other one i can think of), then paste your map sprites over that

@Brendor, I never even thought of checking Nightmare! (I think Arch talked about this, I guess I didn't follow it exactly, lol) So I looked, and the Graphics pointer changed to...

vsfGOlE.png

So this is just comparison between my edited rom and a normal rom.

Lyn's standing sprite's Graphics pointer has changed. The pointer I set it at was 1090080. So should I change this? Or should I check back in GBAGE? Well, I'll try the latter in case you can't answer me in time. But I really appreciate it!

EDIT: I just tried to re-insert and the sprite didn't even show up this time. Lyn's was and the palette's were still all messed up. What I could do is record my screen and start from ground Zero and post it here so maybe that would be a better idea?

@CT, That's what I did, I recolored my sprite to match all 16 colors in Lyn's in Usenti, then I just pasted over hers and saved. I think I saved it as a PNG, does the format matter? And I'm pretty sure the palette is ordered the exact same as when I saved it from GBA. Thanks though!

Ghast

Edited by GhastStation

don't save it as a png, keep it as a bmp

when you open it in usenti there should be a bunch of random colors after the initial 16

EDIT

based on what you've said, what you're doing is inserting a new palette into the ROM (the corrupted palette of your custom sprites by the looks of it) and then telling all the other map sprites "this is the sprite palette to use", and that's why the colors are getting screwed for everyone that isn't your inserted sprite

also you can change the graphics pointer back if you want, the palette is still going to be screwed and you'll have effectively undone the insert entirely (the graphics pointer is just that- it tells the game where the graphics are)

Edited by CT075

Okay, I'll save it as a bmp this time. When I open and all the random colours show up after the initial 16, and then I paste over it, should I save it as a certain kind of bitmap?

NSk67DQ.png

I won't touch this until you tell me what to do :P

And yes that's EXACTLY what's happening. What should I do?

just insert it

i'm not going to hold your hand through this like you seem to want me to? just try things until something works. you hit a stumble and i told you how to get around it, you can probably get the rest of it on your own

Edited by CT075