ghast

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 2 map.

nUHoQ9b.png

This is a defeat boss mission where Dewey emerges out of the water onto the stairs next to the bridge, where he then sneaks into the cellar and causes commotion within the city hall that the baddies took over. After causing a distraction, Bram and the city guard make a push to take the bridge and then the hall.

Edited by GhastStation

You're getting there with mugs.

So, with this guy.

i64Hc3K.png

Let's start with what I consider a very easy thing to fix. Your anti-aliasing around the outline shouldn't touch every bit of the outline. It should only go in the corners, so to speak. This is a good example of what I mean. Specifically, see the banding section. just read the whole thing lol

I apologize in advance for not just telling you, but I am horrible at explanations so have a tutorial. :u

Also, if you look over the sprite zoomed in, the outline is broken in a few places and the darkest shade of some colors is outside of the outline in a few places too. There is also a stray color in his yellow scarf thing. Use a program like usenti to check all the colors that are in the mug. (EX: Usenti shows a grid with all the colors in the image on the right)

[spoiler=I need to stop editing this post]udRUdeK.gif There is a stray pixel near his feet on the first frame

Edited by L95

~~~~~~~~~~~

before anyone says anything, they is absolutely no way I could ever sketch an eagle like that. I give all credit to this guy:

http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/black_crow/eagles.html

so as you can see i literally resized/coloured his eagle and spliced some fire emblem on it. Its probably not very fe but w/e I think its cool and that artist is tops.

as for the sprite, his name is Ridnour, an archer/flyer.

Edited by GhastStation

6ua9b.png

this edging is done a bit incorrectly, I don't know exactly how to explain it but the "puzzle pieces" don't fit together properly

ex

6uaoe.png

something like either one of those

6uaq1.png

similar problem here as well

6uata.png

examples of some fixes

6uawW.png

and here

6uaPj.png

a couple of the paths are a bit dodgy as well, as well as all village tiles are supposed to be surrounded by road/path tiles(seemingly difficult on occasion without custom tiles).

and

6uaZf.png

not an error but that doesn't really make logical sense to me, w/e

• 1 month later...

spoilers but you already know there's birds and shit.

I need help with this guy, i know the crow can improve somewhere but I can't quite put my finger on it.

f9Dvufs.png

Ahhh, my soul feels like it's being pierced through by his lovely gaze. I want to marry him!

That serious feeling, that simple yet elegant beak... I WANT TO MAKE A BABY WITH HIM.

sorry had to be said

His feathers are shaded with only outline and dark purple. Add in one more light color and shade with that according to the light source.

Gah, I'm having a bit of trouble making it properly feathered (?) shading is always hard for me even though I "know" the rules about it.

Ahhh, my soul feels like it's being pierced through by his lovely gaze. I want to marry him!

That serious feeling, that simple yet elegant beak... I WANT TO MAKE A BABY WITH HIM.

sorry had to be said

thanks xD.

Edited by GhastStation

7tcZF.png

Here, I fixed the beak and the clothes. Your colors are usually too close to each other or too far apart on the shading scale. Your sprites will look better when your lines are cleaner and your colors smoothly transition between shades and tints.

I also started shading on the top of the bird's head. Continue this on the right (OPV) side of the sprite. Also I notice you don't utilize all 15 colors when you could.

Edited by GabrielKnight

I pretty much agree with Gabriel.

The beak is also a bit of mess. I get what you're trying to do but there's not much shape and I think if you used some white to highlight, you'd get more definition. There's also an light source inconsistency since from left to right [opv], it's really dark, light, and kinda dark again.

I fooled around with the beak quickly to show that using a light source will give you more definition.

fed58ddd9042018e0bb063a100a35a53.png

But yeah, just make sure to use reference pictures of crows! Especially since you're spriting something FE doesn't do. xD

Here was the picture I ref'd for the beak, maybe you'll find that useful http://bit.ly/OnvVZB .

PS: Love the crow characters, so cool~

EDIT:
Lol, you ninja'd me. :X

The new beak pretty much fixes all of the problems I had with it.

Edited by eCut

7tcZF.png

Here, I fixed the beak and the clothes. Your colors are usually too close to each other or too far apart on the shading scale. Your sprites will look better when your lines are cleaner and your colors smoothly transition between shades and tints.

I also started shading on the top of the bird's head. Continue this on the right (OPV) side of the sprite. Also I notice you don't utilize all 15 colors when you could.

Ah.

Fudge.

Thanks a lot for the contructive feedback. Its true that I don't use all 15 colors, but with animals I have a hard time finding good colors to use for shading. I'm also bad at making my own colors too so I just use what the game has.

Also thanks for fixing up the beak, and shading his head. I'll work on his feathers once i get time to. I super appreciate the specifics.

I pretty much agree with Gabriel.

The beak is also a bit of mess. I get what you're trying to do but there's not much shape and I think if you used some white to highlight, you'd get more definition. There's also an light source inconsistency since from left to right [opv], it's really dark, light, and kinda dark again.

I fooled around with the beak quickly to show that using a light source will give you more definition.

fed58ddd9042018e0bb063a100a35a53.png

But yeah, just make sure to use reference pictures of crows! Especially since you're spriting something FE doesn't do. xD

Here was the picture I ref'd for the beak, maybe you'll find that useful http://bit.ly/OnvVZB .

PS: Love the crow characters, so cool~

EDIT:

Lol, you ninja'd me. :X

The new beak pretty much fixes all of the problems I had with it.

lightsource lightsource shading dark-light-dark ahhh.

Okay, i think i got this now. I was using the same reference when i made the crow haha that's funny. But I guess it shows how better my sprites can be when i see you and gabe's corrections. thanks for the cnc its so helpful =]

my next post will hopefully correct everything you guys mentioned!

thanks again!

• 1 month later...